So, what did you do for your camper, May 2016

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by kitphantom, May 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Myrick

Bill Myrick New Member

Nov 2, 2015
    Update to my previous post. Installed a 105a/h deep cycle battery and box on the tongue. Wired it to the 12vdc circuit. I mounted a 12vdc accessory jack/plug on the outside of the box. I can charge the battery during the day using a 15w solar panel, and then plug a 450w inverter for night time power during 'quiet hours'. I realize the solar panel will not fully charge the battery but it will help. I will only be drawing about 100w for about 2 hours a night. TV and satellite receiver, maybe laptop. Installed a led porch light and a flag holder.
    Can't go out for Memorial day without a flag! Especially being a veteran.
    [:(!] Dummy me. I installed the battery box so close I could not crank the wheel jack. Figured out an easy fix. Extend the shaft for the crank to over the battery box. Live and learn. [LOL]
    Put the name on the back of the trailer, NITUSHI . Pronounced, need- ushee.
    Means Little Bear in Choktaw.
    Getting ready for the 1st real trip with my rig, Memorial day weekend. (Birthday weekend also) Actually a week long trip into the Sierra Nevadas. Dry camping so I'll rent a generator this time. Buying one when I get the $$. Being I work in the industry, taking a satellite system with me. I'm going by myself so I need some kind of entertainment after the fish go to sleep for the evening.
    Happy Camping to all. Memorial day weekend.... Get out there and enjoy the great outdoors!

2. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Filled my tank with some bleach water. Need to empty it out now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Finally drained the freshwater tank after the trip a couple of weeks ago. I can't reach the drain, so had to wait for my husband to be here to get it done. Maybe one of these days we'll add a drain extension, but it isn't in a handy location to do that.

Also got the stabs lubed, DH says we'll need to brush/scrub the threads one of these days.

Replaced an LED bulb that went bad - moving bulbs around so the colors in each fixture match (we somehow got a slightly different color the second time, and have had two bulbs go by now). It doesn't bother me when working under them, but it does if I look at the light fixtures.

3M Command corner shelf installed in the bathroom.

It's nice to be at the point, even with the newish TT, that most things we do are routine maintenance, before or after trip packing/unpacking, or tweaking things so they work better.

4. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Streator, IL
    Canon 10 compartment hanging storage unit. [​IMG]

5. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    New plug outside for our new awning light.
    New latch for the door.
    New plug inside with 2 USB ports
    Last but not least new flooring!

Attached Files:

6. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Brought it home from storage to dewinterize. Hooray, no rodent, freeze, or weather damage. Flushed & sanitized the water, managed to break the rubber flap off the city water hook-up, and the gravity tether broke last year too) so I ordered a new pair of caps that should come early next week.

We have 3 trips scheduled already and hope to add a few more throughout the summer.

7. gameofender

gameofender Member

May 13, 2016
    Ohio
    First trip is coming Memorial day weekend, so we have setup in the yard getting ready, so far nothing major.
    For the PU
    Replaced: tire cover, propane tank cover.
    Purchased: wheel chocks, stabilizer jack pads, popup privacy tent, toilet, mini T spirit level tool.
    For the TV
    Purchased: Hitch and wiring harness

[​IMG]

8. VTRailroadguy

VTRailroadguy Active Member

Aug 19, 2015
    Northwestern Vermont
    Heading to Lake Carmi State Park after work for a couple nights. According to the weatherman, it should be a great weekend!

9. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Ordered a couple things for camper from Amazon. Should be here next week. Need to go to Jayco dealer this weekend to pick up new upper and lower door seals. Work has been crazy,but hoping to get out camping in 2 weeks for the first time.

10. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Active Member

Dec 9, 2013
    San Diego
    Waterproofed sun breaks canvas with 303 product, replaced 2nd interior light with LED, cleared out "extra" stuff in camper that I just wasn't using. Need to buy silicone spray to lubricate electric lift, just need to figure out how to do this first.

11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    After a year of messing with clips to hold the curtains together at the center, we added snaps. As a sew-er, finding new notions is always fun, and Kamsnaps worked great. These are plastic, installed with either pliers or press, we used the pliers and installed them while the curtains were in place. It's windy today, so we got to test how well they hold the curtains in the breeze - very nice.

Cleaned the window frames where they slide and used the same dry Teflon lube (a "Blaster product") we put on the stabs. Those two windows work well now.

Discovered that it is a good idea to turn the LP on if we are running the 'fridge at home. We had turned it on so I can start stocking it for the next trip. We didn't think we needed to turn the LP on, but arrived home to find the power out and the electric ignition snapping. We quick turned on the LP, but this is the first time I've seen the "check" light on the 'fridge. No damage done, and the power hadn't been out long, but I'm not sure what a longer outage might have done.

12. starinmypocket

starinmypocket Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Already Done:
    • First of all, brought it home! Our PUP is NTU. [:D]
    • Bought chocks
    • New tires
    • Bearings re-packed
    • Opened it up and did a Camp Driveway this weekend
    • Bought and adapter so we could use 'shore power'
    • Cleaned and aired out

Still Need To:
    • Remove the film of rust on the tongue and one corner underneath the frame (I suspect some sort of leak in that area because there's a small corner of floor rotted above it in the storage compartment...sigh)
    • Paint said rusty portions of frame after they're cleaned
    • Figure out how the *bleep* to make my fridge run on propane (read up on it a lot, but am having trouble seeing whether the pilot light is on, and a huge thunder storm was rolling in, so we had to shut 'er down)
    • Fix the latches on my drawers and buy new rails for them because I found out today that they're missing?!?
    • If it's not too ambitious, I'd like to install LED lighting, but I'll probably end up blowing myself up! [;)]

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure that I'll find more stuff tomorrow!

13. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Feb 28, 2016
    Illinois
    Practiced backing up!

Attached Files:

14. starinmypocket

starinmypocket Member

Apr 27, 2016
    [;)]
    Good idea! My son keeps reminding me that I'm terrible at it...

15. davido

davido Active Member

Jul 17, 2014
    Earlier in the month I replaced the sink's flexible drain pipe, as the old one (less than a couple years old) cracked.

I also installed a Maxxair vent cover over my FanTastic Fan so that I can keep the vent opened and even running if I like, during inclement weather. The model is Maxxair II, which is supposed to have sufficient vent area to not restrict the flow from the FanTastic Fan.

Today I installed this:
    [​IMG]
    (Image seems to not be loading inline, so here's a link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/84y1wck5vji8z47/20160521_172156.jpg?dl=0)

The stock bumper for my trailer extends about 14 inches aft of the trailer's box. It consisted of three C-Beams; two extending aft from the rear of the trailer, and then one across the back, comprising the bumper itself.

I added an L-shaped beam along the back a few inches aft of the rear of the box, and then four beams running fore-aft. Over this I placed some expanded steel sheeting. Now I can carry light-weight loads in back rather than inside the trailer or in the forward storage compartment.

The forward storage compartment is ample in size, but sadly the trailer, with two propane canisters and two batteries, loaded for camping has a tongue weight between 450-470 pounds, which is a bit more than I want or need for a 3200 pound GVWR trailer. By placing 30-50 pounds on the rear bumper my tongue weight will be reduced by between 10 and 15 pounds. Even better if some of that 30-50 can come from the forward storage compartment. I'd much prefer keeping my tongue weight to 400, which is 12.5% of the GVWR, and a little kinder on the rear suspension of the 2015 Ford Explorer that tows my trailer.

The trailer is a 2015 Forest River Rockwood Premier 2516G.

16. Scotia 55

Scotia 55 Member

Sep 30, 2015
    Bought a BAL Leveler. Love it! When I de-winterized I also noticed that the in-line fuse on the pups tongue( the wire that powers the pup on DC) was fried so I replaced that. Out camping now! Family has gone to bed and just relaxing....tending the fire on this excellent Queen Victoria Long weekend! it was a great day!

17. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

May 15, 2014
    Sarasota, FL
    Dispossessed a flourishing civilisation of wasps from inside the compartment behind the fridge... And only got stung once...

Nothing that large quantities of toxic chemicals can't fix... but we really do need to find a way to put screens over the vents

18. mikem12188

mikem12188 Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Now this is a great idea!!! [PU]

19. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Getting ready for memorial weekend.

Popped it up and put everything away from our last trip. I had a massive headache so wife packed. I fixed a couple separating corners and calked a couple seams.

Now I'm rinsing the water tank out. I have little whit floaters in the water. Probably just hard water stains but I'm flushing them out.

Made a camp shower as well. Now just need to pack it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    Installed all new wheels, the proper size now!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.