So, what did you do for your camper, May 2016

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by kitphantom, May 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Norwalk CT
    Spent the last 4 days in Naples Florida visiting family (flew down so no camping) but when I got back found a big box waiting for me with my new BAL leveler, "T" level for the tongue of the trailer and 2 screw in tent pegs for the awning. The level and the pegs were pretty much just add-ons to qualify for free shipping on the BAL (ordered it on sale from CW for $67 on a tip from a portal member last week) but the pegs look like they will stand up through some pretty high winds and the level, if it's accurate, will come in handy during setup.

2. starinmypocket

starinmypocket Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Got our PUP licensed, registered, and plated.
    We are now official people! [:D]

3. Papasmurf40

Papasmurf40 2008 Ford F150 and 1998 Coleman Sunridge

Aug 31, 2015
    GTA Southern Ontario
    Got the ntu pup last summer and used it for one trip, and pulled it one time this spring to do some mods and such and got around to putting the hopkins breakaway system on it. I still need a new roof seal and am melting some MEK and abs to repair some cracks in the roof.

4. ChillCo

ChillCo Member

Jul 2, 2015
    [​IMG]

Added battery for lights when electrical is unavailable.

We are going to Rocky Mountain National Park this summer and from what I understand there is no electricity or water hook ups.

5. Firehawk068

Firehawk068 Active Member

Mar 22, 2016
    Cleaned/Blew out the "Crack-Pipe" for the 3-way fridge.
    Also blew/vacuumed all the dust and dirt out of the compartment and the fins.

Raided an old computer tower that I had kicking around in the garage, for the 2 fans that were in it.
    There was a regular size one, and a smaller one. I plan to use the smaller one inside the fridge, and the larger one on the fins at the back of the unit.

6. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Fixed roof seal on one side. Discovered two mice nests. Luckily no real damage,other than a roll of toilet paper was overlooked last fall when getting ready for storage. Put new spare tire cover on spare, waiting for new step carpet,and hose from Amazon. Have a Camp Chef stove that I'll be replacing the propane hose,so it'll connect to low pressure connection on pup. Wheel bearings will be repacked before the weekend. Hoping to go for first time weekend after memorial day.

7. Segchris

Segchris New Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Busy week for my camper, here is the list so far.
    • Removed and washed fabrics (curtains, valance, seat covers)
    • Repacked/greased wheel bearings
    • New tires and wheels
    • Added roof crossbars and mounted a basket and 2 bike racks
    • Emptied out front storage bin to wash, organize and repack everything
    • Vacuumed and Lysol wipe of interior

https://goo.gl/photos/9bubDccwdQVjnHbm7
    https://goo.gl/photos/87KnJdytb7k3K4H4A

8. Ny_Paul

Ny_Paul New Member

Jan 31, 2016
    Finally dewinterized the camper, as well as learned about the entire water system inadvertently

Installed LED strip lights under the awning

Made a grey water drain pipe out of PVC

Hung two collapsible storage...um...things

Finished up by hanging the final separation curtains for the bed ends and the privacy & shower curtain for the shower/toilet area

Now waiting for Friday to finally [CP]

9. mikem12188

mikem12188 Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Traded it in for a newer one

10. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Slowly starting to pack it up for this upcoming memorial day weekend trip

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I decided I'd caught my fingers in the the door knobs on the cupboards one too many times. (Arthritic joints do not appreciate that!) Finding new ones is more challenging than I expected - the standard cupboard knobs I found were not an improvement or there weren't enough it stock. One more place to try locally today, then I order nice glass ones from eBay. (I may just do that, if I have to wait, they might as well be pretty.)

12. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    Spent last Saturday with my brother the cabinet maker creating a door in the end of the dinette bench so PortaPotti can moved from factory storage spot under the rear bed. Factory location required crawling on the floor when the bed was changed from "gaucho"couch to bed configuration. Very awkward maneuver. As usual his work was beautiful. Also great was the time together.

While working on this I discovered that the cabin-to-frame mounting bolt under the bench was loose. Went on a search for other bolts, and found there are only four, and all were loose. Three were easily tightened with one man above and the other below, but the last bolt was under the water heater. Rather than remove the water heater (which was full of bleach water in prep for weekend trip) I cut a slot in the end of the bolt with a Dremel tool and tightened it up from the bottom with wrench and large screwdriver.

Carried out a few minor maintenance and repair tasks. After adding a foam topper it's been hard to make up the bed due to interference with the two small folding shelf/tables. Removed these- saving all the hardware- for a test run to see if we can do without them. Replaced the rivets on the "J" shaped hooks of the roof latches, and added two more to each latch. Added a roof latch on the door side in a horizontal position to tie the two [ALPU] roof sections together when folded.

Really looking forward to trip to Florence, CO for the 41st Colorado Springs Muzzleloaders Memorial Day Rifle Frolic. Formal and novelty (charcoal briquette on a string at 25 yards) shooting matches, covered dish dinner, Memorial Day service, and good companionship.

13. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    I can just see it now.. throngs of muzzle loaders, frolicking with their rifles. [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

14. jasba

jasba Member

Mar 4, 2016
    Wisconsin
    We have been working hard on getting organized for our first camping trip.
    We gave it a good sweeping and wipe down including the screens and windows.
    Figured out where all of the stuff was going to go and loaded it up.
    Picked up a new propane tank and checked to make sure everything was working.
    Plugged it in to check out the electrical and picked up a power adapter.
    Flushed and sanitized the water tank and plumbing
    Installed some pvc pipe towel bars (idea courtesy of http://www.thepopupprincess.com/) with some modifications for our Jayco 1207. We couldn't use the pop down method since our cross braces run side to side and got in the way so we came up with a removable option that unclips and then gets stored using velcro cable ties.
    We also made trash and recycling bag holders out of old TV tray stands and some totes. I love that we will no longer have a trash bag sitting hanging from the end of the table and they have covers.

Attached Files:

15. WmTaskser

WmTaskser Member

Jan 20, 2016
    May has been a busy week. I just bought the camper so there were plenty of things to do. I still have a few more projects.

• Buy AMG Battery and move inside
    • Remove Flip down Galley
    • Make a bunk bed
    • Relocate Thermostat
    • Add USB Charger and 12v socket
    • Put in a shelf

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

May 23, 2008
    SE Wisconsin
    Shake down cruise for the first trip of the year....free camping for Armed Forces appreciation weekend!

Free is always good...

17. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    I bought my camper a new TV to pull it with....

18. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    In the week since we've had it, we've:

Towed it home (about 80 miles)
    Dealt with title/registration/insurance
    Got a new battery and got the electrical system all working to our satisfaction
    Picked up a new spare tire and wheel
    Bought a new memory foam pad and bedding for the king size bed
    Weather-proofed the canvas

Now we get to see how it works in its natural environment when we go into the mountains this weekend. [:D]

19. popupnewbie416

popupnewbie416 Go forth and CAMP!

Feb 23, 2016
    [:D] I bought a 1996 Dutchmen Duck 747 in December for $1100. Well first I bought 2 new tires and a spare for the camper. Since it didn't come with any keys, I bought new locks and had them all keyed the same. Then tore the old leaking roof apart and built a completely new roof. I cut out and replaced 3 soft spots in the floor.Put vinyl tile down instead of the linoleum. Repaired a hole in the side of the camper. Repaired several holes in the screen. Attached the door, going to take it out tomorrow for the maiden voyage!! [:D] To seal the roof, I used a commercial roofing sealant from GayCo, and put insulation in it, which previous didn't have. I'm really proud of the new roof. Everyone says that it is much sturdier than the previous. My wife and I started packing it last night for this weekend at Hiddenite, NC. I really can't wait. This is my first camper. I'm used to a tent when I was a kid and in the Army. My joints couldn't take that any more. If there are any other suggestions please let me know.

20. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    @popupnewbie416
    Re-torque the lug nuts at about 10, 25 and 50 or so miles. We learned that one the hard way, when we had a wheel fly off on the interstate. (Re-tightening got lost in a crazy pre-trip week.)

Make sure you have a way to level the pup -boards, Lynx blocks, BAL or whatever you choose - and a level of some type. It isn't just for comfort, but level has less stress of lift systems, doors tend to work better and so on. Perfection is not necessary, comfortably level is good.

Make lists of what you need to take, take notes and add/subtract as needed. We have lists on the computer (backpacking-only, camper trips with or without bikes, or DH taking a backpack trip while I base camp, using the camper as a hotel, etc.).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.