So, what did you do for your camper, May 2016

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by kitphantom, May 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    Oh, and just got the responsibility to run some water through the system. He put the bleach solution in last night, and we've got to run it through a couple of times.

After him explaining it to me, and assuring me that nothing should blow up or flood, I think I'm up to the task. [:D]

2. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Picked up a new Weber Q 1200 grill today to replace the Aussie Grill that came with our trailer. The Aussie was OK for a year, but I got tired of constantly rotating everything so often because it burns the food in the middle, and everything around the outside is raw. Time permitting, tomorrow I'll pull out the welder and modify the grill bracket to hold the new Q.

http://www.weber.com/grills/series/weber-q-series/1200

3. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Boston
    Finally had a break from coaching spring sports and was able to Pull the PUP out of storage garage and set her up in the driveway.....Very happy with all the effort We put in to clean her and put her away neatly. No one made it their winter home and I am happy to say that with the exception of still having anti freeze in the lines... She would be ready for the first trip... Have to wait a month.

4. PmRacing

PmRacing New Member

May 15, 2016
    My Ford Ranger was failing so we did not get out last summer. New-ish tow vehicle acquired just last month so GAME ON!

Opened the camper! Found only some ants. Sucked them up with the shop vac.

1995 starcraft pup had tail lights that were hard to see even in the dark, so I replaced them. Also repacked the bearings and replaced the axle seals.

New tires and rims. The old ones looked fine at 30 lbs, but they are supposed to be 80. At 80 you could really see the dry rot cracks!

That is all, so far...

Mikeeee

5. cyclop5

cyclop5 Member

Jun 18, 2015
    replaced the 110 outlet that I broke while we were painting (bonus - it matches the new paint trim)
    repacked wheel bearings (mental note - still need to replace the seals. the kit I grabbed had the wrong size seals)
    re-covered dinette cushions to match rest of decor
    replaced galley counter
    re-replaced table surface (it started to peel away)
    re-stocked for the season

Headed out tomorrow for Starved Rock SP

6. HondaCrazy

HondaCrazy New Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Replaced three tires in anticipation of our first summer as pup owners!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

7. Azzy

Azzy Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Today? New faucet (put on backwards.. meh) repaired a side marker light, Quick and dirty battery box mount. In the last week i fixed the side fridge and water heater covers, new anode rod, more LED "bulbs", some baubles, new WD hitch, and first trip this weekend with my wife and the munchkin.

8. davido

davido Active Member

Jul 17, 2014
    Finally completed the job I started earlier in the month:

Installed a platform that spans the 14" gap between the rear bumper and the rear of the trailer's box. The platform is made of expanded metal (essentially a grill), supported by a framework of L-channel metal struts that are bolted to the bumper's frame.

The final step was installing ten eye loops for tie-downs, and a couple more support struts. Now it's suitable for carrying up to about 60 pounds on the rear of the trailer. I wouldn't recommend this for everyone, but my trailer has a GVWR of 3200 pounds, and a loaded tongue weight of almost 480 pounds. The axle is 2/3rds of the length back from the coupler, or 1/3rd forward from the rear bumper. So putting 60 pounds on the rear will only reduce my tongue weight by about 20 pounds. ...25 if we count the weight of the platform. I probably won't even feel a difference, though frankly I'd like to get my tongue weight closer to 400 anyway.

9. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Fixed a marker light today then packed for the weekend. Waiting for the wife to get off work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We leave in the morning for week at North Rim of Grand Canyon. My husband has been out of town all week, if his planes are on time he'll get home about 10 p.m. I'm packing as much as I can, and making stacks in the house for him to add tomorrow. At least this is the third trip of the year, which seems easier than the first of the season.
    This will be the first trip since tent camping days with a bike. It is going to go on the bed, so the solar panel will have to ride on the floor - this may be interesting. We have an overnight stop on the way to and from the Canyon, so will need to move both items.

11. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    Now that our big vacation is over (disney world, not camping) I shifted my focus to getting the new Duck ready for its first trip next weekend. I got a lot done today after work. I finally got the covers back on the mattresses after washing them a few weeks ago. Then made a quick version of the under-bunk drying rack. I removed the holding tank for extra storage since I will have hookups 90% of the time and will just use an aquatainer when I don't. I'll probably be removing the flip up galley in the future too since I have an outdoor sink rigged up already and don't plan on using the sink inside. Then I cleaned out everything I don't need and started adding in the things I will.

I still need to replace the bearings before the trip and change the oil in the TV. Then it's just final packing [:D]

12. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    After a bit of a snag or two, I finally got the bearings replaced. Apparently I have a Franken-axle. I have a Dexter 2,000 lb axle (confirmed via original tag still on it), so I bought the kit from etrailer for that axle. However, when I pulled the hub, the spindle was too big for the 44643 bearings. The calipers confirmed my spindles are 1 1/16", which requires 44649 bearings. I didn't have time to order from etrailer again, so luckily the local auto parts store had them in stock. It looks like these are what typically go on 3,500 lb axles, so I'm not sure why I have them.

I thought I was good to go until I tried fitting the new grease seal. Apparently the kit I got yesterday didn't come with the correct seal for my spindles either. One of the old seals was worn, but still in one piece, so I decided to use it for the trip next weekend, then replace it before the next trip. But, the second wheel is when I realized I had a real problem. That seal fell apart. So, I put it back together with the busted seal since I had to roll it back into the garage and ordered the correct seals from Amazon to get here Tuesday. I'll pull the hubs again just to replace the seals and make sure the bearings are still well greased.

After that it's just time to get the final packing finished for its inaugural trip.

13. Rock1980

Rock1980 New Member

May 16, 2016
    While everyone was out camping enjoying the holiday weekend I had my pup backed into the garage replacing one of the rotten roof sideboards that I discovered last weekend. [:(!]

14. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Norwalk CT
    We try not to travel on holiday weekends since we hate crowded campgrounds and traffic so spent the time instead getting the PUP ready for our first trip of the year this coming weekend. I replaced the 4 running lights since they hadn't worked since we bought the PUP last year. I checked the wiring and there was power so I replaced the bulbs and still nothing. I figured the contacts were probably corroded and seemed to be inaccessible so for the cost of new ones (I think I paid about $4 each) decided to go ahead and splurge. Hooked them up and they worked great. Of course had to have at least one hiccup and when I hooked the first one up wanted to try it before I moved forward and it didn't work. Took me a couple of minutes to remember the ground was the screw to attach it to the camper and I just had it hanging there. Once I screwed it on voila. Spent the rest of the weekend going over all the systems and restocking it for the trip up to Housatonic Meadows in Sharon CT. Can't wait to hit the road Friday.

15. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Went thru camper over the weekend, and pulled a few things out we never use. Going to look tonight for a few small totes to help organize a little better.

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We're camping at North Rim of Grand Canyon. We seem to have squashed last year's electrical gremlin. We didn't use our water system on the March trip, so this is the first dry trip using all of the systems. We used the furnace more in March, though. The Zamp had the batteries recharged by noon.
    Since we can't open the awning at home where the TT is usually parked, yesterday was the first time we opened it in months. Found mildew, ick. This is the new awning, replaced at the end of last summer, after I crunched the original. (We've had the trailer a year and a half.) we cleaned the mildew off as best we could. We'll park the TT on the other side of the driveway so we can open the awning and get it really cleaned before I head off to the Quad-state Rally. I guess we need to buy one of the pic awning covers.

17. 64osby

64osby Member

May 11, 2015
    Was able to put the newly constructed outdoor sink to use. Testing and first use went great.

[​IMG]

Ran the pump direct to a battery, uses a momentary foot switch. Next step will be to run some wires direct from the converter to eliminate the need for a separate battery.

[​IMG]

Made use of one of the newly acquired AAR. Just used one panel and it worked great. Winds were from the south and it kept the rain at bay under the awning during the two storms.

[​IMG]

18. PmRacing

PmRacing New Member

May 15, 2016
    That sounds like an important upkeep item! I am off to try and find if our 1995 starcraft needs this service.

Mikeeee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.