So, what did you do for your camper, September 2016

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by kitphantom, Sep 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Fall is approaching for many. Even here in the high desert of ABQ, the mornings are cooler, and the Sandia Mountains are beginning a subtle change in color. (They are very green, once monsoon rains came, they hit hard at times.)
    The TT is hitched up and parked in front of the house. Off to the dealer's today for the annual inspection and PM required by our (3rd party) Warranty Forever. We do have to pay for it, but it include tasks we would have done at the dealer's anyway. Having the roof inspected after a few hail storms will be good. The dealer is about 2 miles from our house, which makes it handy; my husband's office is a couple of blocks from the dealer. That means it's not difficult to pick DH up once the TT is done, since parking it in the driveway is a 2-person job. (I could park the pups solo, the TT really needs a spotter.)
    We're packing for our last long camping trip of the year. We will be in the Moab area for Labor Day week. We have two more trips planned, but the almost-3-week solo trek to/from Ohio to visit family is really more traveling with the TT as hotel than camping. Our Thanksgiving trip to Karchner Caverns SP in AZ will be meeting up with friends, so a combination of visiting and camping.

Battery charge reminder for those who need it.

2. D_Gibb

D_Gibb Member

Jul 20, 2016
    • Yesterday I picked up a fresh water hose, pressure regulator, and 90 degree elbow. Today I am going to sanitize the city water and hot water hook ups for the Labor Day trip.
    • Today I am going to pick up a 4" rise trailer hitch for the TV (the 2" I have isn't level at all) also.
    • Tonight, I will putter around, packing and trying to fit things in to some new spots, get a coffee maker, microwave, and griddle stowed for the long weekend in Mackinaw City (Mill Creek Campground).
    • Tomorrow, we drive! Only a short 280 mile drive up north to Mackinaw where my in-laws will be joining us.

3. brich208

brich208 Member

Jul 6, 2016
    So far, September (all 1 day of it) has been about our TV. Got our order from etrailer; a new hitch, wiring harness, all the accessories. Installed that on the TV and checked out the wiring to make sure it's good to go.

During testing noticed one of the tail lights on the PUP was out, so replaced that today.

This month should mark our first adventure in our NTU PUP, just some clean up, final small fixes and we'll be enjoying our PUP for the first time!

4. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Norwalk CT
    will get it opened back up tonight and do a thorough cleaning and re-organizing for the RI rally next weekend. We try not to travel on holiday weekends, don't like the crowds and traffic so I'll take the 3 day weekend to go over everything and maybe do a couple quick mods. We're still getting used to the smaller space and putting things where they are easily found and accessible. Our last popup was a 10' box and moving to an 8' it's amazing how much of a difference that 2' makes when it comes to storage space.

5. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    @Fuzzy Bear - that change in campers does make a difference. After tent camping for years, we went from a tiny 6' pup to an 8' one and, almost 2 years ago, to a 17' TT. The TT is about the same length as the 8' pup was when opened up, but we have more floor space, and overhead cupboards. We've been tweaking our packing routine most of the time since we bought it. The change to a truck as TV forced us to really reconsider packing, since we no longer have a roof top cargo box; we had one for 20 years. I think we have a good packing routine now for most of the things inside the TT. We change what we take depending on the trip, so there are some variations on the theme.

The TT was fine on inspection, though they don't seem to have checked the drip from a fitting on the fresh water tank, since they did not fill the tank. It looks like an elbow or hose didn't get completely tightened when the tank was removed and repaired last year, so we get a bit of dripping when the tank is full. It stops after we use a couple of gallons. DH may look at it if he does the drain mod over the winter. (We'd like to extend a hose or pipe to the edge of the TT, so I can drain the fresh water tank by myself.)
    We're mostly packed for the trip next week. The 'fridge didn't get cold enough to pack until too late to get it done, with hot afternoon sun beating on the TT it took about 4 hours, so we did other packing. (This 'fridge works well under those conditions once cold, I've had it out in 100* weather for a week.)

We got chatting about next year's camping possibilities. Somehow, we decided to add one trip to this year! We enjoy the art exhibit at Kolb Studio at South Rim of GCNP, held from Sept.-Jan. each year. We managed to squeeze in a trip, staying in Trailer Village, so we have power. With 4 previous visits the first week of Nov., we've had 3 with beautiful weather, highs in the 60s or so, and one with lows int he teens and 6" of snow. We'll experiment with DH taking the train after work, the day after I drive out (he drives home with me). That way, he'll only take 1 or 1-1/2 vacation day. He's flown before, but the train may be better on the timing, not to mention the budget.

6. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    We got the pea stone for the new pad and got it all put down. Then we put the camper on and got it mostly set up before we get invaded by my in-laws [LOL]. Should be a beautiful weekend here in the 1000 islands region.

Attached Files:

7. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    He installed the brake wiring last night.

All we need to do now is hook up and head off to Yellowstone tomorrow morning. [:D]

8. lucky13don

lucky13don Member

Jul 13, 2016
    sf bay area
    After searching for a few years finally found one.got it home last night.need to grab some chain from work today and make new safety chains.too short now.then good cleaning and look for a water tank.

9. 00 Quad Cab

00 Quad Cab Member

Mar 5, 2016
    We got the trailer moved to it's maintenance spot to setup and cleaned from last week's trip. Got everything cleaned washed and re-vacuum packed/stored.

Going to pull the furnace out and rid it of the fighting squirrels inside (noisy blower) and try to get the fridge pulled and burped.

Ran and got some essentials that we missed in our permanent packing plan.

10. Eskimorob

Eskimorob PUP life

Jul 5, 2016
    Wasn't quite September, I tried sealing the stitching and seams on my shw pugs. Used 'tarp tape' from Northern tool on the non silver side of the joining seams and liquid seam sealer from rei on all stitching. I had noticed ac runoff running between the pug and bunk end canvas. The only thing I could think of is the runoff was coming through the joining seam about 4-5 inches from the velcro or was damming up at the top bungee sleeve and coming throught the stitching. I want to avoid any dry rot of the stitching on the bunk end vinyl due to being constantly wet from the ac runoff.

Going to add j-channel gutters in the next few days. I had to special order some 1 1/2 inch j-channel and it just came in yesterday at the local hardware.

Regardless, I going to heed Bob's suggestion and remove the pugs and make sure the top is completely dry before storing.

11. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    Over the last week I've gotten quite a bit done on the pup. Got it packed up for our trip next week, finally built the galley shelf mod, and got the brakes installed on it. A quick drive proved just how big of a difference they can make, even for a light weight pup like mine. Now I just need to get the breakaway kit installed.

12. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

after 2 years of battling my lift system I finally used enough grease & silicone on everything that for the first time ever I was able to use my cordless drill to raise the roof! :) :) :) :) :)

13. stefie19

stefie19 Active Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Connecticut
    We bought it a new partner....we'll be picking up a NTU 2013 Ram 2500 in a week or two.

14. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We've been camped in it for almost a week. One more day camping and another to drive home. The solar system is working great, as are the batteries; what a difference squashing the power gremlin has made.
    Most of the dry erase list is items to restock, which is nice. We need to make a topper for my small shelf, so things don't fall over. A winter project will be fixing the bed. It is a wooden platform, with a hinge, great storage underneath. However, a couple of the supports have twisted, probably from our arid climate. The platform now has a bit of flex - at least the creaking no longer enters my dreams as small critters being in the storage space!

15. Birdwoman26

Birdwoman26 New Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Got a painters pole to use as a towel rack. Also got anti-fatigue mats to put under mattress.

16. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Feb 28, 2016
    Illinois
    Popped her up for no reason at all... 6 weeks between trips and I just missed her.

17. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Colorado
    Popped the top to say hello and air Gypsy out a little. Reconnected the battery and plugged in the solar panel just to check everything. Bought a new radio and 3-way speakers to put in next weekend (probably going to add an antennae too). The tuning function on the old radio is kaput and it sounds tinny through the stock speakers. Started leveling the parking area and entryway at the gate and will build a new gate so she has a little more breathing room when backing in to the yard! Hopefully get two or three more trips in before Nov snow.

18. lucky13don

lucky13don Member

Jul 13, 2016
    sf bay area
    bought one [:D].popped it up yesterday to clean and teach everyone to set up and take down. also just fun to hang out in. kids and pets like it.tested shore power today, all good. tested water,old water in tank smells awful, drained it will flush system next weekend.fridge works on shore power,could almost keep beer and water cold. didnt hook up propane so didnt play with heater. next weekend.one of the boys took a nap in it this afternoon [LOL],beat me to it..

19. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Boston
    We started September camping with it. Cleaned as we packed her down and haven't touch it since we got back last Monday. School and soccer started this week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. danard

danard New Member

Jul 17, 2010
    We are getting it out and cleaning up for a trip in Oct. The roof repairs I did a few years back needed some attention. The Sailboat topcoat paint I used is not as water proof as I would like. I bought a 9X15 foot piece of "Superflex Alpha" rubber and removed the AC and glued it down to the roof. I bought a couple cargo door latches to hold the doors open so I don't keep getting bonked in the head and a entry door latch to hold it open. The Pup is coming up on 20years old so a little TLC now and again goes a long way. Set it up, aired it out. I still have 5 marker light bulbs that are out (I keep stealing them for the motorcycle) I should get new tires soon and I'll repack the bearings when I get them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.