So, what did you do for your camper, September 2016

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by kitphantom, Sep 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Got home from our 8-night trip to Utah. We managed to get the highest priority items out of the TT and the TV bed emptied and hosed out before the skied opened for a couple of hours.
    We plotted my (solo) trip in two week, from NM to SE OH, using a different route than we've tried before. For about 100 extra miles, I won't have to tow the TT through the turnpikes of OK, or the crazy environs of St. Louis, Indianapolis, and Columbus, OH. I hope this route is an improvement. When we did the trip 2 years ago, we estimated that dealing with the toll booths in OK cost us an extra hour of travel time. I made my reservations at KOAs for 4 nights on the road each way. Between adding another night on the road and the change in routing, we didn't find state parks for overnights on this trip.

2. Eskimorob

Eskimorob PUP life

Jul 5, 2016
    Pulled a hub today, cleaned up the hub, spindle and bearings, wrecked the inner seal trying to get if off, waiting on the replacements, should be here in a couple of days. The brakes look fine, so I'm not going to do anything to them, at least the one wheel I have off. The other side will have to wait until I can pull the camper out of the garage.

I have been reading alot about the Dexter ez lube hubs and much of what I've seen online were complaints about the inner seal blowing out and throwing grease on the brakes possibly caused by over zealous greasing. Saw some guidelines about manually repacking the bearings and to avoid using the ez lube feature to prevent grease on the brake lining thereby rendering you brakeless. Since I don't know the maintenance history of these hubs I decided to pull, inspect and repack. I figured I would jump in and do one wheel today just to see what I was getting into. I messed up the rubber on the inner seal, probably could be reused, but I decided to replace it for peace of mind. Will get to the other hub this weekend. This job was pretty easy for this amateur, I won't hesitate to do this again when the maintenance schedule calls for it.

3. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Jan 25, 2014
    We placed Smelleze odor and VOC absorbing pouches throughout the trailer, and we thoroughly cleaned the gray and black tanks. We also put a vented sewer cap on the sewer drain.

4. mmc005

mmc005 New Member

Sep 26, 2010
    So far, I have purchased a Bal small trailer leveler, what an awesome new purchase that was. I made a drill adapter for lifting the camper top, I just need to find a drill that has enough torque to spin it. I also made new drawer slides, they have only been broken since I purchased it 5 years ago.

5. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

If you cant lift it with a 18volt drill you need to do some work greasing and lubricating

6. mmc005

mmc005 New Member

Sep 26, 2010
    I haven't tried an 18volt cordless drill yet. I have a 6 Amp Black and Decker that I tried and it didn't have enough torque to spin it up. I do plan on cleaning and lubricating the threaded rod and once I find out what other places need lubrication, I will clean and lube those too.
    Thanks for the info.

7. ShellRidenour

ShellRidenour Live, Laugh, Love & Camp

Aug 12, 2012
    Clarksburg, West Virginia
    When we bought our NTU HW pup, we knew the floor was soft. It was covered completely in 19/32" plywood.
    [​IMG]

Knowing we had only 19/32" clearance, we looked at several options to improve the plywood floor. DH pulled it all out a couple weekends ago and found a really REALLY soft floor. Due to an upcoming trip, we didn't have time to pull everything out and start a new floor from the frame up. After looking at options we found 14mm thick laminate flooring at Sam's Club. Thick enough to protect the soft floor and thin enough to not have to raise the fridge and move cabinet doors.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our late winter/early spring project will be to remove the cabinets and sub floor and rebuild correctly from the frame up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. bryce0lynch

bryce0lynch Member

Sep 2, 2016
    On our NTU, I ground off the rust and paint on the frame where a battery box evidently once sat. Nice pitting underneath. I coated it with a few layers of rust-oleum.

Meanwhile my wife was handwashing the mattress covers (with vinyl) and seat covers in the bathtubs. BLACK water ... turns out they were not grey but rather cornflower.

Next up I've got to find some way to mount a g27 battery box. I'm thinking some angle iron, over the existing angle iron, so the box will ride above where the cable runs through ... and abrades. I've got to get some plastic moulding/sliders to put put on the metal where the cable rides over.

9. nimrod65

nimrod65 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    Since I broke my foot at the end of July we will will not be camping anymore this year. We did get out in August, because we already had the reservation. But I won't go out anymore until we make a bigger step below the bottom step.

10. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Making progress at erasing notes made on the board during the last trip. Everything that needed restocking is in the TT, if not put away.
    We bought a 99 cent latch for the cupboard door that keeps opening on the road. We'll try to find a better solution over the winter, but for now, we hope adding a second latch will help.
    Sanitized the water system, the mid-season (actually a bit past that) session. My husband is plotting to make an extension on the fresh water tank drain, so it is easier to use - I can't reach it, so have to depend on him to be home when I need to empty it or sanitize the tank & system.
    Ordered a new portable air compressor and some tension rods for another attempt to keep things in place on the "nightstand" cubby hole on the road. I tried using Command hooks and a net on the last trip, but the hooks didn't stick well to the unfinished wood on the inside of the cubby.

11. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Jun 8, 2012
    Turned the Roo-ster into a residential grade 4 seasons capable 35 ft 5'er.

If anyone is in the market for a nice 2013 233S keep an eye on the General RV location in Brownstown MI.

12. Kb2yht

Kb2yht New Member

Nov 28, 2015
    replaced the seal around my fan,
    and Installed a Fantastic fan vent cover,
    waiting to see if I got it sealed tight [:O]

Got a new cover since I'm parking out side under a tree now.
    Goofed the size cover I ordered at least it was too big and not to small... No more midnight orders from etrailer for me.

O and got new plates for the PUP, now I have to figure out what sport the razorbacks play...

13. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I have it on my trip from NM to Ohio, and am a little over halfway to my MIL's place. My longest and shortest days are done, the next two are about 350 miles each,
    The new catch on the upper "kitchen" cabinet is working well. I have to concentrate to open that one. We need to add new catches to the pantry and do something about the drawer stack. Both opened and closed today, throwing contents around the TT. I have a dowel in the drawer handles, but they open as a group with it in place.
    The curtain for the door has been great, both nights so far have had huge pinky orange street lights nearby. I wish I had found a curtain like this to use in the pup, since that translucent door let a lot of light through.
    The handle that holds the door open pulled out in the wind today, so I had to revert to something similar to what we used in the pup.

14. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Got the BAL tandem wheel stabilizers and put them on; they help quite a bit. We also put a jack cover on the power jack. We are going to give her a wash before we leave for Huntsville, but that will be October.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.