solar panel security

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by rterry, Mar 26, 2012.

1. rterry

rterry New Member

Aug 16, 2010
    I recently purchased a solar panel for charging my battery when we dry camp. Depending on the campsite and location of the sunlight, I place the solar panel on the ground next to the pop up or on the roof. What type of security can be taken to keep the panel secure from being stolen? Anyone have experience with this?

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We bought 2 solar panels for the coming season. We are planning on cabling the assembly to whatever is handy, just to make it less likely to walk away. If close to the pup, that will be the A-frame; we bought a 30' cable to use for setting them up a bit farther from the pup. The thing we are currently working on is finding a lock or small cable that will fit into the holes on the panels (designed for clips which will hold them together).

3. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Mar 8, 2011
    I don't do anything. We have good karma, and don't steal from others, and therefore others don't steal from us. We've had ours out in public campgrounds while we were around all day and never had an issue. And we won't.

4. opfor

opfor Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Lol, sounds like you all sit around the fire singing Kumbaya with any would be thieves. I know a lot of people that don't steal and that never stopped them from being a victim.
    I found a lightweight chain and lock works well for me. This is not a solid defense but it would at least take some time to take and hopefully this will prove to be not worth the effort, they can move on down to the next person who didn't.

5. Popup Paul

Popup Paul Member

Feb 13, 2012
    I understand the concern. Especially if you are away on adventure during the day, but need the daylight to charge the batteries. Those pannels aren't cheap and I would be concerned as well.

If anyone has some pics, that would be great. If i get that sophisticated in my camping, I would like to know that the investment will be safe.

6. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Mar 8, 2011
    No, we just don't have our stuff stolen. And we don't worry about it. For all the cost of locks, alarms, security systems, cables, guns, claymore mines or fencing we haven't spent, we could pretty much replace anything we own.

7. opfor

opfor Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Whatever frequency works for you, I just don't know any thieves operating on it. I think I have 6 or 7 bucks invested in this small lock and chain so I really broke the bank on that.