Solar Water Pump

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by inthedirt, Jul 30, 2018.

1. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Aug 28, 2012
    SW Montana
    Over the last 5-6 years, I've realized that water seems to be my limiting factor when camping with the family. Usually don't stay out more than a 7-10 days at a time. 2 propane tanks will generally last me that long depending on the number of hot showers and how cold my wife gets at night. What we usually run out of is water even though we almost religiously camp near a stream or lake.

I did some research and picked up a purifier from Amazon that will filter approximately 500gal of water a day by gravity. Well, I'm too impatient to wait that long and certainly don't want to pour that much water by hand into the fill port of the Pup. So, Amazon to the rescue! I grabbed this little unit to help get the lake water from my 5gal bucket into the the tank. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS8JN0Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Don't have to worry about connecting to my batteries, is easy to store, is quiet, and best of all....cheap! I'll run this through my inline purifier (3rd-world rated), then through a charcoal filter, and into the tank. Doesn't need to be a hi-flo, hi-pressure system. Should arrive in a couple of days, so I'll report back after I have a chance to us it this weekend.

2. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Aug 28, 2012
    SW Montana
    Ok, if I were patient enough, I'd likely keep the system gravity fed and be happy with it. However, I am not patient at all. Decided that the solar pump is not quite strong enough to push against the filter, so I'm adding a small 12v pump instead of the solar. Other than that, the system works great!

emoney likes this.
  3. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    I posted a thread over in the “plumbing gray water etc” forum about a 12v pump I picked up on EBay to replace my cassette toilets pump. You can BIN them for like $12.00 and will pump plenty water. Also, I use a small 12v battery that’s easy to carry to make it portable and I don’t worry about draining the main battery that way