Something like the R-pod 171, but considerably lighter?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by jay ray, May 1, 2019.

1. jay ray

jay ray New Member

Don't have to be as big, and can have many fewer amenities.

We'd like to stay at 1600 pounds or less, want a little more space and more standy than a teardrop, but we were always tent campers and don't need a sink, stove, frig, water heater, wet bath, TV, outdoor speakers, a slide, etc.

So far we haven't found it. We like a popup except when you have to make and break camp everyday to get somewhere.

Any suggestions outside of popups and A-frames?

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Something I was looking at online but nothing sold in my area is something called an egg camper or essentially an all fiberglass camper. Fairly light weight but fairly positive will be heavier than your 1600 requirement. Most TT and thet like will be heavier. You can look at a T@B it's a bit taller than a teardrop but still classified as a tear drop. Those are the only things I can think of that will be less weight than the rpod.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Even the smallest Riverside Retro, a teardrop is a bit above your limit. At quick glance, Casita only has 16 & 17' fiberglass trailers these days, the barest boned one is around 2000#. Scamp may still make a 13' one, I wasn't having much luck connecting to the website.
    There have been a lot of the fiberglass trailers over the years. Back in the early 90s we looked at one that was basically a shell, with a molded in bench for the bed, and one small window. On a couple of visits to North Rim of Grand Canyon, we've encountered what appeared a rally of all sorts & ages of the fiberglass trailers. (It will be interesting if it's happening this year, since we'll be there the same week we've seen them.)

I have to admit that as long time tent campers, plus a few years in two pretty bare bones popups, we didn't think we wanted much of anything in a TT except a bed, place to sit, and a way to cook inside. (The pups taught us there was more to camping than cooking outside in high winds, hail storms, and on cold mornings.) Looking at the list of things we didn't want when we had to move to a TT is funny now - we got most of them, and enjoy every one. Between advancing age, creaky joints on my part, more trips per year, and a much longer season, it's been great to have our flush toilet, hot water tank, microwave (when we have power - it's storage the rest of the time). The awning we really wanted has proven to be pretty useless, so we now have more shade/rain structures than we did while tent & popup camping.

4. erich82

erich82 Active Member

Not sure why you're looking for suggestions outside of popups on a popup forum, but I'll give my 2 cents.

What you're looking for doesn't exist. You want something bigger than a teardrop, but lighter than most popups, but don't want a popup or A-frame. I suggest either upgrading your TV to be able to actually tow something, or revisiting your choices. Regards,

wusthof and xxxapache like this.
  5. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

T@Bs are one of the few options at that weight. If you are near Ontario, you could talk to Taylor Coach and see what they can build for you. Their website is under construction right now, but they have models all the way down to 6 or 8 feet long, but full height.

https://taylorcoach.com/

Other than that if you just need bare bones, you could get a small enclosed cargo trailer and build what you need inside.

6. jay ray

jay ray New Member

Thanks all. Looks like it will have to be a cargo trailer.

7. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Rik Peery, jay ray and PointyCamper like this.
  8. penny

penny Well-Known Member

Also check out meerkat and happier camper. they are kind of pricey, and I don't know if you see used ones on the market, but they are pretty neat.

jay ray likes this.
  9. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I know this is not too related to your question but ever since I ran across one of these I have been thinking about doing something similar...

[​IMG]
    Google image

[​IMG]
    Google image

This is a TerraDrop Trailer sold in Oregon and are very expensive compared to the TearDrop Trailer...

The idea for me would be solo camping off road using my truck or a Jeep vehicle... I would be sleeping in the Loft Tent and using the rear opened door for the kitchen. The inside of the trailer would house my Ham Radio equipment...

I would hang out under the patio awning...

Just a pipe dream haha...

I think one could build up something very similar using one of these ARMY M-series Utility Trailers...

[​IMG]
    Google image

Another idea might be getting a Utility Trailer with the drop down rear door and a side door up close to the front...

They make a fold out tent bed that could be added to one side. The front part between the side door and the front would make a great kitchen area... The drop down rear door would make a great patio setting... The remaining inside could be made up to what ever you want to do with it...

[​IMG]
    Google image

[​IMG]
    Google image

To me however using an OEM POPUP Trailer would be a better camper as everything is already geared for camping...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Sjm9911 and jay ray like this.
  10. penny

penny Well-Known Member

oh, those are nice! and the Taxa Tigermoth too.

Rik Peery and jay ray like this.
  11. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

He's probably asking here because it's a CAMPING forum where people HELP each other.

Rik Peery, jay ray and PointyCamper like this.
  12. jay ray

jay ray New Member

Showed the pic of the overlander to my wife: "You're not Bear Grylls and I'm not Bear Girl."

13. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Got one of these bout 6 weeks ago, extreme versatile & the wife loves it, had it out for 4 days back in April, passed the test for wind/rain; found it at our local Gander outdoors on sale, grabbed it because no way to carry kayaks on our Aliner Ranger10...once you get the hang of it, the set up is fast, only weighs 840 lbs dry, & can carry a crap load of gear, plenty of head room inside, strapped my yak on the top 58745062_1344835745670353_678337166111145984_n.jpg 58443579_1344835719003689_428808877702643712_n.jpg ... https://www.sylvansport.com/shop/sylvansport-go-camper/

14. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Gee, I like the rain canopy it comes with. Looks like you can set it up with while attached to your vehicle??

Rik Peery likes this.
  15. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Yep, thinking you could pretty easy; may try that for kicks & giggles one day...figured out fast lol that once you unhook the camper, it's much easier to maneuver AFTER unloading, especially on the gravel in the camping spot...the canopy zips on just past the door, so you could pull up someplace, & set up w/ or w/out the canopy...

16. MizMikk PUP

MizMikk PUP New Member

We have a 2010 Quicksilver Livin' Lite PUP,
    https://www.livinlite.com/products/quicksilver-tent-campers/

We just upgraded to a Somerset E3 last week, and are getting ready to put the Quicksilver up for sale. The unloaded vehicle weight ranges from 700 - 1100 lbs. Aluminum Frame. Pretty bare bones tent on wheels, but we sure have loved it for the 8 years that we have had it!

This was the best picture I could find, kind of gives you an idea of what it looks like, if you can get past the tie-dye!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Rik Peery likes this.
  17. tcbrady

tcbrady Member

+ 1 for looking into the Scamp 13 foot. Fiances' grandparents have one, think they mentioned it only weighed around 1,200-1,500 lbs.

18. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

The Happier Camper or Meercat may be close to what you are looking for. What you are seeking is not going to have many choices. Remember buying a light camper with no options will do no good if you pack the camper and TV full of gear to do the stuff the camper can't do.