South Texas Summer Rally, Who's in?

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by Ryanincc, Mar 1, 2015.

You get 3 Votes that you can change. Which South Texas CG's do you like for the next rally?

1. Goose Island State Park in Rockport, 45 mins N. of Corpus

33.3%
  2. I.B. Magee Beach Park in Port Aransas, http://goo.gl/YXdhOr

25.0%
  3. Guadalupe River State Park in Spring Branch, North of SA.

58.3%
  4. Lake Casa Blanca State Park in Laredo

8.3%
  5. Coleto Creek Park and Reservoir near Victoria, http://goo.gl/S7pKza

25.0%
  6. Jellystone Park in Canyon Lake, http://www.jellystonehillcountry.com/

41.7%
  7. Brazos Bend State Park

33.3%
  8. Other State or Govt Park

16.7%
  9. Other Private Park

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Dec 28, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Summer Rally... South Texas... Who's in?

I'm leaning towards Goose Island SP during Father's Day Weekend, June 19-21st, in Rockport which is about 30 minutes north of Corpus on the coast. I admit Im being a little selfish because I live 45 minutes away, but they have tons of spacious wooded area sites with tons of shade, compared to the the waterfront sites with zero shade, close together and limited availability. I know at most state parks you can't reserve sites, but I am willing to go very early on the 19th and reserve all the sites, or anyone who needs it, assuming I can't work something out beforehand with the rangers. Of course date and location are up for discussion entirely. For now, Im really just wanting to see how many bites I can get for a southern rally. If its anything like the turnout at the last rally at Lake Texana, it will be plenty... and fun [;)]

Or if everybody wants to hit the beach for a rally, I.B. Magee Beach Park is awesome. It's a county park right behind the sand dunes in Port Aransas. 3 minute walk to be in the waves of the Gulf. You can camp directly on the beach for free if you like but I'd prefer the elec/water sites and the newly remodeled restrooms [:D]

Place your votes and chime in if your up for a rally!

2. Ryanincc

Dec 28, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Some voting going on but no one is posting if they are interested. Don't all try to comment at once [LOL]

3. shfd739

shfd739 Member

Apr 16, 2011
    We're out. Just doesn't work for us to go south that weekend.

4. Merlin14

Merlin14 Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I voted. GISP would be OK. Coleto Creek as well.

Brazos Bend is in my back yard, so that was an easy vote, but not necessarily my first preference maybe.

BBSP has an active volunteer group with nature center, baby alligators, snakes, etc. which is fun for kids. There's an observatory from U of H there as well.

Campground may be full in June.

5. Ryanincc

Dec 28, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Dates are totally open. I'm sure we could accommodate [emoji16]
    Thanks for the input, Merlin.

My phone did this

6. jam0911

jam0911 Member

Mar 22, 2012
    We'd love to go, but that's our inks lake trip date...

7. Ryanincc

Dec 28, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Ok. It's looking like Father's Day weekend may not be the best. How about the week before or after?

8. Txbum

Txbum Pop up, Pop Top, Chill....Ahhhh

Mar 25, 2013
    Ryanincc, I might be on call( stand by) at work that weekend...I will try to make arrangements to clear my weekend. Have you ever been to Pioneer Village R.V. campground on hwy 361 on Mustang Island...it has two swimming pools, a hall room , video arcade, they serve breakfast, and sell lunch for a nominal (cheeeap) rate...There is an on site store with a lot of stuff. They have a wide board walk where people can walk or ride their golf carts to the beach. On Saturday nights they have a street dance with live music. It is pretty nice. Minimum 3 days over a weekend holiday...24 hr security ride quiet carts through out park....We plan to go there this summer

9. shfd739

shfd739 Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Thats the only weekend in June that works for us but family is northeast so going North means they can go with us.

10. tx.glamazon

tx.glamazon New Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Can swing Father's day... I think... but Hugh remembers GISP and Aransas as being hot and mosquito-ey... even in the shade.

Am willing to DEET up, but being all chemical-ey and hot and sticky at the same time? Not sounding quite as appealing as shady cool breezes in a forest somewhere...

I know he LOVES Brazos Bend... dunno about the other places... but I'm game for anything really.

Sherri

11. Ryanincc

Dec 28, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    As a matter of fact I gave stayed there. Spring Break last year. A ton of full-timers, mostly concrete, lots of stickers ib the grass, mostly elderly residents. Kind of a long, but nice, walk to the beach. Tight spaces. Expensive, packed, gof carts every where at all hours. It was our second trip ever And probably the last private park we will stay at unless necessary. I don't think we could pull off a rally there anyway, but nice pool, staff seemed friendly, saw 2 other pups there. When I was there the food serving was at early bird hours so we didn't try it. It was a learning experience for sure

Goose Island will definitely have mosquitos. They always do. Should have wind though, and lots of shade for middle of summer.

12. Ryanincc

Dec 28, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Just a help bump.

13. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Wylie, Texas
    Plenty of time until summer, no need to bump.

14. lonestarcamper

lonestarcamper A smile is worth a 1000 words!

Jul 25, 2014
    I may have to skip this one. My summer is booking up fast. Trip to Washington DC with family from Nashville, maybe a cruise and roadtrip to Great Lakes. And....its hot at the beach in Texas in the summer! Need shade guys.

15. carey3782

carey3782 New Member

Mar 11, 2015
    Following for info. Interested IF y'all end up doing it within a 2 hr radius of Houston. Due to hubby's work hours that's about as far as we can go.

16. rosepetal

rosepetal I would rather be camping!

Jan 31, 2014
    Is anyone interested in Lake Livingston over July 4th?

17. carey3782

carey3782 New Member

Mar 11, 2015
    Possibly us if they still have sites available. We can't arrive early though, so it might be difficult to get sites together w a group when you can't reserve site numbers. We're going there for the first time over Easter weekend.

Carey & Gabe + 3 kiddos & 2 dogs
    Nights Camped- '13 {4}; '14 {6}; '15 {10 scheduled so far}

18. aschumann

aschumann Get OUTSIDE!!

May 28, 2014
    Shoot!! We are already going somewhere else for July 4th!!

Carey are y'all staying at a section that is on the water?? The view is nice!

Has anyone been to Surfside beach? We have stayed at Beachfront RV Resort. The beach is on the other side of the dunes from where your camped.

Sent from my iPhone

19. carey3782

carey3782 New Member

Mar 11, 2015
    Aschumann I reay have no idea which section we're on. I kinda just chose that park bc it was what was still available when I made the reservations in Feb. I don't think I would be disappointed if it wasn't right off the water though, that'd make me nervous w the kiddos running around I think.

Carey & Gabe + 3 kiddos & 2 dogs
    Nights Camped- '13 {4}; '14 {6}; '15 {10 scheduled so far}

20. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Mar 7, 2012
    that's the thing about "time" it just sneaks up on you before you it...