South Texas Summer Rally, Who's in?

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by Ryanincc, Mar 1, 2015.

You get 3 Votes that you can change. Which South Texas CG's do you like for the next rally?

1. Goose Island State Park in Rockport, 45 mins N. of Corpus

33.3%
  2. I.B. Magee Beach Park in Port Aransas, http://goo.gl/YXdhOr

25.0%
  3. Guadalupe River State Park in Spring Branch, North of SA.

58.3%
  4. Lake Casa Blanca State Park in Laredo

8.3%
  5. Coleto Creek Park and Reservoir near Victoria, http://goo.gl/S7pKza

25.0%
  6. Jellystone Park in Canyon Lake, http://www.jellystonehillcountry.com/

41.7%
  7. Brazos Bend State Park

33.3%
  8. Other State or Govt Park

16.7%
  9. Other Private Park

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. carey3782

carey3782 New Member

Mar 11, 2015
    That may be true, but you would kinda need to be ready to go anyway, right? We were at Oak Thicket w the LCRA and I learned about the 11am checkout time. Sure, it's doable (and we have left places earlier due to weather), I just prefer not to *have* to leave that early since it's often 9-10pm before we arrive on Friday night..... Either way, I am interested in joining y'all and would still come. Wolf Creek was on my list of places to check out anyway, so I was just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    Tried calling them twice before 4 today and just got a busy signal. I'll try again tomorrow. I plan on asking about the check out time. Any other questions for them?

3. shfd739

shfd739 Member

Apr 16, 2011
    We're planning a weekend in October probably at Lake Granger..

Wolf Creek is too far for us to go for a weekend

4. carey3782

carey3782 New Member

Mar 11, 2015
    Thanks Adrian. I've penciled it onto our calendar already! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Wylie, Texas
    Wolf creek on lake livingston?

6. adrianpglover

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    That's what I was assuming was being discussed. Never been there but we're open to new CGs. So far we've only stayed at 6 different Texas SPs.

7. adrianpglover

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    Talked to a nice gentleman over at Wolf Creek Park on Lake Livingston and he informed me that check in time is at 2 PM and check out time is absolutely, definitely, no later than 2 PM. He stated that if there's no one in the site from the night before when you get there, then they can work with you on the check in time, but they can't guarantee anything about people coming in after you, so check out is at 2. Sounds like he's run into some people trying to extend that 2 PM check out time a bit...

8. carey3782

carey3782 New Member

Mar 11, 2015
    That works for me. :) I know some places we have been they come around right at checkout time and clean the sites up, so I understand them needing you out when you're supposed to be out..... I guess from here I wait for reservations to be open and figure out what area y'all will be in?

Carey & Gabe + 3 Kiddos and 2 Dogs
    Nights Camped: '13 {4}; '14 {8}; '15 {10 scheduled so far}
    2008 Chevy Suburban
    2007 Fleetwood Avalon

9. adrianpglover

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    So, are we discussing just a weekend or a few days more than that? I ask because I still have a few vacation days that I could move around.

Also, assuming we have enough people, who's the wagon master? Not it ;)

10. skeetercampsintexas

Jun 26, 2012
    Wylie, Texas
    The original crew has all been wagon masters in previous rallies. Richard and MJ, I believe I speak for everyone here, are exempted considering the amount they already do on their own good hearted accord. So that leaves someone else at the helm.....who ever will it be?

As for a rally at wolf creek at lake livingston we would definitely be in as long as it doesn't involve the first weekend in october. If it's the last weekend in September, we may not be able to swing that as I'm already down for a 4 day weekend for opening weekend of bow season.

11. Txbum

Txbum Pop up, Pop Top, Chill....Ahhhh

Mar 25, 2013
    Skeeter, thanks for the kind words. We too are kinda stuck to the middle of the month time frame. Mainly due to Jane's job , close the books etc at end/beginning month. Otherwise we are always rweady to help a new Wagon Master prep and plan the rally. Adrianglover, I usually like to get to the rally as early as possible, set and make a "something" to eat for late arrivals. We also help the late arrivals set up ot can wait at the gate to show them to their sites....just saying Txbum

12. carey3782

carey3782 New Member

Mar 11, 2015
    We are free for the weekend the last weekend of September and the middle 3 of October. I have never been to a rally so idk what it would entail as far as organizing, but would be happy to chip in where I'm able. :)

Carey & Gabe + 3 Kiddos and 2 Dogs
    Nights Camped: '13 {4}; '14 {8}; '15 {10 scheduled so far}

13. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

May 18, 2009
    Hutto, Texas
    Txbum is the most considerate camper I've ever met.

Phoodieman

14. shfd739

shfd739 Member

Apr 16, 2011
    I dont mind doing Wagon Master for an October Rally. Gonna be selfish and ask for it to be close to San Antonio though.

My first thoughts for location is the CoE park at Lake Granger or back to the place in San Marcos we had the first rally.

15. Merlin14

Merlin14 Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Most weekends would work for us in Oct. We missed Granger last time but made it halfway.

Ditto on Txbum...he and MJ very kindhearted and fun.

1999 Palomino Pinto
    2001 Nissan Frontier
    via Tapatalk

16. lonestarcamper

lonestarcamper A smile is worth a 1000 words!

Jul 25, 2014
    I may have to sit this one out. I have 3 day weekend at end of Sept and a boat up at Coldspring that hasn't been run since May. So I probably have to spend some time up at Wolf Creek then. FYI, there is an annual car show in Oct, so check the dates if that is what you are interested in. I've been on the road all summer, but headed home today. New classes, new grade level, and new subject this year so I may not see daylight until the end of Sept. Enjoy the rest of summer y'all!

17. skeetercampsintexas

Jun 26, 2012
    Wylie, Texas
    I'd be good for granger, or the private campground at San marcos.

18. skeetercampsintexas

Jun 26, 2012
    Wylie, Texas
    Though for us I may have to sit it out. I've already got a few weekends off through the fall for planned hunting. However I'll obtain 10 days of vacation on 1 Jan that I'll have to use 5 days of within 90 days as I can only carry over 40 hours.

19. adrianpglover

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    Assuming DW doesn't need any help reigning in the children (2 yrs and <1 yrs), then most of that is the type of thing I'm likely to do anyway...kind of thing I did a lot in scouts. The food thing is out for me though...I don't cook because I'm meticulous (aka slow) at it and don't really like to...DW loves cooking and is good at it, so she does the cooking in my house. Don't think I'd like having an "official" capacity just yet.

We're in so long as it's within ~4 hours of Katy, TX (no, I'm not counting rush hour traffic times). That's our distance limit for the year, since distances in Texas are measured in time. The places suggested so far are close enough for us to go and we're free most weekends right now. We're blocked out on October 17th weekend though.

Since this thread was originally about a possible summer rally and now we're talking about the beginning of Fall, should we make a new thread to discuss possibilities?

20. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Dec 28, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    If anyone is looking for a place to camp Labor Day weekend (Fri. Sep. 4th - Monday) that would be about as cool as it gets in South Texas during the summer, I. B. Magee Beach Park in Port Aransas has RV 30Amp/water sites available. I just made reservations for us and am surprised they had any availability, but currently they have about 15 sites available. IB Magee is a county park just up the road, or island rather, from Mustang Island State Park. Ive never overnighted at Mustang but have checked it out (also read), and IB Magee's laundry, shower and bathroom facilities are nicer. You can dry camp right on the beach for the price of an annual parking pass, $12, or right off the beach at the park for $25 a night. I hope to see you guys there. It can be a get-ready-for-a-rally-gathering [LOL]

http://www.nuecesbeachparks.com/ibmageebeachpark.html

I also wanted to agree that Txbum and MJ are the kindest campers I've met and are my camping idols as I strive to be like them in my daily life. TxbuMJ, I promise your beer will last a lot longer camping with us [LOL] [LOL] Im still bummed I missed you guys at Pioneer.