Spare tire cover, can I fancy it up with a vinyl decal?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by readytopop, Apr 17, 2012.

1. readytopop

readytopop that's how we roll...BOOM

Apr 13, 2012
    Our pup's spare tire doesn't currently have a cover on it. I was trying to figure out how to cost effectively make it go with our "theme" for the camper. (to clarify, in defense of my DH, when I say OUR, I really mean, MY theme [8D] )

My question is if I buy a plain tire cover would a vinyl decal stick to it? What do you think? Anybody tried it? other suggestions? Thanks!!

2. FamPhx

FamPhx New Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Yes, it will. I've put our vinyl business logo on the vinyl tire covers.

3. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

May 23, 2008
    SE Wisconsin
    How long has it been on there? This something I have thought about doing but laughed at myself saying "Ya right, heat cold rain road...it may last a year"

If this does work I have options!!

4. flash82

flash82 Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Northern KY
    Got 3 on mine..oldest is 2 years old. Looks like I put it on last week. The camper is outside all year long.

5. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Apr 4, 2011
    To go a step further, does anyone know if the standard plain white ones would hold up to an airbrushed picture?? Maybe overcoat it with clear poly?? Or is there some special material one can order that is better for painting on?

Thanks!!
    [:D]

6. readytopop

Apr 13, 2012
    Did you put the decals on when the cover was pulled tight around the tire or on a flat surface?

7. flash82

flash82 Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Northern KY
    I put mine on while still around the tire.

8. FamPhx

FamPhx New Member

Oct 30, 2010
    X2

9. TwistedElvis

TwistedElvis New Member

Jun 4, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Yes I have had great luck with applying Vinyl decals to the Vinyl wheel covers before and a lot depends on the quality of Vinyl and if it sits in the direct sunlight or not.
    And if you have printed logo you are using it will fade much faster!

10. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Know nothing about the decals ...

However, about the white vinyl spare tire cover, try covering the top of the spare tire with a couple folds of Reynolds Aluminum wrap - this will help prevent the tire chemicals (aided by the sun's rays) from leaching through and staining the vinyl.

11. cma7777

cma7777 Member

Jan 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Are you talking about a "stock decal", one that you are buying off the shelf or are you talking about a custom decal for the tire cover. I enjoy playing with logos and would like to make my own for the tire cover. Here is a logo I made for the 2012 NC Rally.

[​IMG]

I would like to make something similar for our pup's tire cover. Where can you have them made/printed and how hard are they to apply?

12. readytopop

Apr 13, 2012
    I would have my decal made. I use etsy.com

13. bigboimike

bigboimike New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Readytopop: Who are you looking at using on Etsy?

Michael

14. readytopop

Apr 13, 2012
    I have used multiple people in the past for other decals I have had made, I usually shop around for someone who offers something similar and then contact them to ask if they would do a custom design and the cost.