Squealing Camper Brakes

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by somekindaguy, Nov 27, 2018.

1. somekindaguy

somekindaguy New Member

Jun 19, 2018
    Hi All,

I am a first timer and just bought a brand new 10ft box PUP last spring.
    We used it all summer and really enjoyed it!
    However, ever since we bought it, there has been brake squeal every time the trailer brakes are applied (I believe these are 10" brakes and drums).
    At first I thought it was just because they are brand new and may have to be broken it, but the noise continued all season. I adjusted the controller gain continuously; from very high to quite low with little difference. I can hear the electric hum and the brakes are engaging (at appropriate gain level), but very low squeal upon braking; especially when hot.
    We have packed away the trrailer for the winter, but I plan on taking it back to the dealership for brake adjustments in the spring.
    Just wondering if anyone has any insight into the issue? Thanks for the comments & the EXCELLENT site!

2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Checking the shoe adjustment would be my starting point.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
    Since this was a brand new trailer with warranty last spring make this the dealer's problem to fix by getting it into his shop while the warranty is still valid.

emoney, nineoaks2004 and PopUpSteve like this.
  4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Agreed, take it in now before the warranty expires. Make a list of any other issues for them to address while it’s in the shop. Give the a deadline to have it back to you otherwise you won’t see it until next Winter. When you get it back, go over it with a fine tooth comb. Take photos before you take it in (open it up).

5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    The off season is the time to take it back for warranty work, for 2 reasons. You won't miss any camping and the dealers service dept is slow now

BillyMc and neighbormike like this.
  6. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Don't wait until the off season. Take it back to the dealer now and make sure the brakes are working properly. The dealer should make a safety issue job a priority.

7. FARfetched

FARfetched New Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Georgia
    Agree with everyone else: take it in now, it's the best time to do it.

Having said that, brakes squeal because of high-frequency vibrations. If you've ever replaced pads in a disc brake system on a car, the parts store often offers a tube of "anti-squeal compound" for a buck or two. What it is, is basically glue. Gluing the pads to the caliper keeps them from vibrating and causing that squeal. (I'm simplifying on the verge of over-simplifying here, but that's the basics.)

I'm not sure exactly how drum brakes counter that vibration, but the dealer most likely has seen it before and knows how to make it stop.

8. mattlreese

mattlreese Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Actually the dealer dept at my shop was very busy. I just dropped mine of two days ago for an appointment I schedule 2 months ago.

So call the dealer now and schedule an appointment.

9. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    We had the same issue we we purchased our pup from the dealer (brand new). We brought it to them to make adjustments and it was good for about a month, then started squealing again the next season. By this time it was off warranty. The dealer was 2 hours away, so I decided to fix it myself. First, I order new brake assemblies and drums. When I went to replace the brake assembly on the drivers side I found that the blue connector that splices the wire to the magnet had maybe 2-3 strands of wire connected. Yup, a bit of resistance. All the splices I did were soldered and wrapped. After that I never had a problem with the brakes.

When I compared the brakes from both sides, the brake shoes on the passenger side were well worn compared to the drivers side which looked almost new.

Lesson learned: Check your wiring and connections!!!