SS Badger Car Ferry

Discussion in 'Taking Your Camper Off Road' started by BigAl, May 28, 2019.

1. BigAl

BigAl Member

Anyone ever take their PUP on this? Planning on doing it in July, and I'm wondering if anyone's had good, bad, or other experiences with it. Thanks.

http://www.ssbadger.com/

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

We didn't have the pup with us, but I took the kids on it a few years ago. The experience was good for us, but Lake Michigan can get kind of rough on a bad day. If anyone is susceptible to motion sickness, or has never been on a boat, you should treat that prior to boarding. It seemed a little pricey to me, since you have to buy a ticket for each passenger and the car (and I think the trailer too). The kids thought it was great and they have good memories of it, so I'm glad I spent the $$.

3. kgesiako

kgesiako Member

I’m just outside Chicago and go to the U/P area Just over the bridge a lot. Turns out it’s the same for us if we go through Indiana or Wisconsin, but have always wanted to try the badger. Please update how the trip was when you’re done!!

4. mv520

mv520 Member

Never took a PUP on it, but have taken 2 good trips on the Badger over the years. I remember being impressed at the parking and backing up skills the employees had with various travel trailers, boats, etc. You can't drive on/off yourself - the staff drives your vehicle(s) for you. The (for the most part seemingly teenagers) parking crew were extremity competent/impressive.

5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Never had my vehicle(s) on board but enjoyed the trip as a passenger! I agree - it was very impressive as to what got loaded and how it was done! The Badger is a very cool boat!

6. BigAl

BigAl Member

Agreed, it's not cheap when you have to pay for 4 people, a car and a trailer (trailers pay $7 per foot) but I'm hoping the experience makes up for it. I remember taking it once as a kid when it ran from Ludington to Kewaunee and thought it was really cool, so I'm hoping my kids will at least indulge me now and appreciate it more later. :smiley: I especially remember enjoying the employee trying to load my dad's old Ford Econoline with a manual transmission - clearly the person hadn't driven a stickshift in a while. :grin:

This allows us to push our road trip into lower Michigan for a couple days as we will save the time of driving back up and through upper MI into Wisconsin on the way home. Tickets are bought; I'll report back when we're home again!

7. neighbormike

@BigAl just wondering where in Wisconsin is home?

8. BigAl

BigAl Member

Cedarburg, since 2011. How about you?

9. neighbormike

Neenah... since 1976 lol

10. BigAl

BigAl Member

I grew up near Fond du Lac but haven't lived there since the late 1990s.

neighbormike likes this.