Starcraft: Rebuild with aluminium skin or build a rubber roof?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Parker84, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Parker84

Parker84 New Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Hey everyone,

1970 Starcraft Starmaster 6: P/O had a vent leak which lead to the interior of the roof being torn out... I suspect most of the frame is rotten.

My question to you: Stick with the aluminium roof, clean it up.. rebuild the frame with cross braces and paint it with kool seal and everbond (or whatever that is called)

OR

Build a new from, cover it with thin ply and press on this rubber sheeting I keep seeing with Dicor?

This caught my eye and seemed like it was less prone to failure?
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Tent-Trailer-Roof-Re-build/

loveit likes this.
  2. Parker84

Parker84 New Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Hi everyone... it is now dead of winter (which in the PNW) means rain.

I still haven't made a decision on what to do with my roof... the PO says it leaked which caused him to gum up everything with caulking and gunk etc. I'd like to start fresh.

The instructable I enclosed above is a great stepping off point... but I have been thinking about building the the box (side frame), covering the roof with Luan and than fibreglassing everything... what would be the downside to this? Anyone?

3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

The upside is that building from scratch you can make the lid taller to accommodate a real mattress, overhead storage, better lighting or sky light. Its a 50 year old camper it lucky to still be usable. I see no value in keeping it original.

4. Parker84

Parker84 New Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Thanks for your input, I do like the idea of building things taller within the confines of the metal frames and sleeves the roof adheres too...

I guess I hesitate to go the fibreglass route only because I haven’t seen it done... mostly the liquid rubber or rubberized membrane but fibreglass seems to be just as weather proof and a little more solid and lighter (thinking small wooden boats).

I think this is the route I will attempt unless some tells me it will fail miserably

5. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I like the sounds of a rubber roof more the fiberglass. I need to make a new roof for my pup. I plan on using metal stud and FRP ( sheets of plastic ) on a hip roof. This will a interior height as well as overhead shelving to help keep the counters clear of clutter and we will be able to us a real mattress.

6. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    The attraction of fiberglass is that it can be done totally seamless, which reduces the potential for leaks. It also is easy to conform to the shape of the substrate making a very nice finish application. There are build threads available in the
    Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers
    website that discuss sealing with fiberglass, which seems to be popular for the "woody" style teardrops.

The con is that fiberglass is brittle and can be prone to cracking over broad flat surfaces. Ways to mitigate this are either thicker fiberglass which increases weight, or use of a continuous curve in the substrate to add strength. My Jayco has an oem fiberglass (frp?) roof, which has held up well to constant UV exposure over the last 10 years, but the roof is domed, to add that additional strength.