Stink Shower and Shave. Camper with no dedicated bathroom...

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by dbhost, Dec 13, 2018.

1. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Agreed!

2. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

A06FE40E-EBAA-4F44-A67D-3F6BA3C9A15B.jpeg
    Yup

neighbormike likes this.
  3. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Where I camp it’s paramount to de tick shower after being outside. It’s so bad you can take a shower and walk around pup and get 3 more ticks on you. That’s a tick vs all dilemma!

4. CarlaCB

CarlaCB New Member

This may be a silly question, but has anyone thought of buying a standalone shoilet unit and installing it in a pop up that didn't come with one? The rationale would be that you like the camper you already have, except it doesn't have the bathroom setup, or you want to keep your tow vehicle, and it won't tow any of the models that have the shower and toilet (all of which tend to be larger, as far as I can see). I love the idea of getting the built-in bathroom, but my car will only tow 2000 lbs, and I'm not parting with my car (for now). Anybody considered this?

5. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I think you would have to remove a cabinet to be able to do that. Easier just to get a pop up shower tent and cassette toilet for just outside the pup.

6. CarlaCB

CarlaCB New Member

Sure, you would have to remove a cabinet. But as a woman traveling alone for the most part, I'm not wild about the idea of an outside bathroom. or shower, especially. I like a door that I can lock behind me, even if the walls are canvas. [:I]

Dingit likes this.
  7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Some just get the portable toilet, and put it in there pup. No shower but at least you can have a potty.

8. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Back 100 yrs ago when we owned our 2000 Santa Fe my wife felt the same way. Our boys were also quite young so guess who got to take them to the campground bath house for a shower. :wink: I solved both issues by installing an in-dinette seat shower, pics are here if you're interested.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Y0tiYWFzQl8xdGRCRmwwOV90TXBtYlpOZHdRc3VB

CarlaCB likes this.
  9. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Sorry, double post. [B)]

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@CarlaCB I camp with my husband, but also take solo trips; on some trips I base camp while he backpacks for part of the trip. I've solo camped in tents, both popups, and now the Retro. So far this year I've had one 10-day solo (4 nights at a Sisters on the Fly event), another 10-day solo coming up in early May, and plans for three 3-4 night trips for SOTF events (a friend plans to join me for at least one, otherwise I'll be solo).
    Our popups were small - 6' and 8' boxes, so we never had the space to even consider adding a shower. Not to mention that having a shower would have required a gray tank or the equivalent. The "water tank" in each was a 5 gallon jug; we removed the sink in each since counter space was more useful.
    In the pups, I had a folding toilet that used gel bags - again, part of the rationale was space. I also have a nice potty tent (from the same company as our folding toilet, PETT/Cleanwaste/Go-anywhere), but have never used it. Part of the reason for that is that having the toilet inside was an advantage in cold and/or rainy weather. (We're not that squeamish, so I used it inside when alone or with my husband.)
    Our 17' has the wet bath. The shower will never be used as such, unless we're absolutely desperate. For one thing, I don't want to deal with the moisture inside. I have used the shower head to rinse the floor after washing it, and given the amount of time it takes to dry in our arid climate, it would take the toilet out of service for a while, even if I used paper towels or something to try to dry it all off. Another limitation is the 30 gallon gray tank, even more so than the 20 gallon fresh tank + 6 gallons in the hot water tank. We often dry camp for 5-8 nights, and the 30 gallon gray tank is sufficient for cooking, dish and hand washing, plus basin baths, and washing my hair if showers are far way or something. Some of the campgrounds we use do not have dump stations, so having an external tank wouldn't be much use, even if we had a good place to tote it.

11. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

See my description of how to collect gray water in a shower tent. It can be applied to inside a trailer, or check out Slim Potatohead on Youtube. He added a shower to an Aliner and it seems to work for him. A portable toilet really should be a non issue. Just put it somewhere away from your food prep areas that you can screen off for privacy...

CarlaCB likes this.
  12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

This (and lack of rooftop a/c) are the reasons behind selling past pop-ups we've had. I absolutely MUST have a shower every day, and I prefer my own over, even clean, public ones. Our shoilet is plenty spacious, in my opinion. I have the shower curtain Velcro'ed so it won't stick to wet bodies and move. It's quite easy to sit on the closed toilet and get everything clean. My ex-son-in-law is 6'8" and well over 300 lbs. He showered in there with no problem.

Prior to having a pup with a dedicated shoilet, we just had a generic brand Thetford-type toilet that we used at night. Having a dedicated bathroom is worth the space it takes in the camper, and was a game changer for me. Between the bathroom and rooftop air, I am very happy. If we didn't have a bathroom, I would sell and invest in a camper that does have one. Actually, that's exactly what I did. [:D]

CarlaCB and neighbormike like this.
  13. CarlaCB

CarlaCB New Member

Orchid likes this.
  14. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

15. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

You won't, even colemanpopupparts doesn't show any for sale. You'd have to get real lucky and find someone who was parting out a Coleman / Fleetwood camper that had one of these integrated CP/showers installed originally at the factory. JMO but my in-dinette seat shower along with an electric flush porta potti achieves the same result but at far less cost and with parts that are readily available.

16. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

Somehow I missed your setup. Equally intriguing. What is that pan you are using?

17. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Heavy duty laundry tub from Home Depot - noticed they still sell them, after all these years.

18. Jess n JJ Julian

Jess n JJ Julian Member

Our pup came with a shower/toilet combo unit. A few days ago we had to pull it out to repair a broken lift cable eye bolt. Removing the tub left such a big space that we have decided to leave it out because we never used the shower. We are gonna buy a new porta potty and still have room to add a cabinet or just more open space to stow and tow. When we first bought our pup, I put in a new, bigger shower curtain that also functioned as a changing room. I used a plastic track room divider that I attached to the ceiling with short screws, added the sliding/rolling clips and some new curtains for style. It worked perfect! Made our "bathroom" area twice as big while doing your business. If a shower at camp is wanted, we still have the outside shower.

19. CarlaCB

CarlaCB New Member

After poking around the net for a while, I also concluded that you can't buy the standalone unit commercially, only from someone parting out a camper that had one.

Agree that your setup does the job just as well, and probably much cheaper, but not everyone is as handy as you clearly are. [;)] Some of us would much prefer to have most of the work done for us, even at a price.

20. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

I can get pretty clean with a washcloth at the sink in the camper...and then washing hair with the exterior shower, a dishpan, and a table. This does, of course, require everyone else to not be in the camper.

CarlaCB likes this.