Stinking mothballs and chipmunks

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by Natureangel, Nov 19, 2016.

1. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Feb 28, 2016
    Illinois
    I would never put mothballs in the pup but I am considering placing them underneath. Has anyone tried this?
    My yard is infested with chipmunks and I am worried about them gnawing their way in. Has this happen to anyone?

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Found this about mothballs:
    So now add the fact that you're putting them outside, in a non-confined space, I doubt they'll have any affect on your chipmunk population.

Maybe get a couple solar powered mole sticks from Harbor Freight and place them around your camper. That may scare them off.

3. hotrodcamper

hotrodcamper Member

Nov 3, 2012
    Last year I put a box of Bounce dryer sheets in the camper. I spread them everywhere. Even between the folds of canvas as I put top down. When I opened up pup, it was mouse haven. I had used them in my old car for years,with very good luck. After that,I went back to moth balls,as they've always worked well,but left an odor.
    Today,ass it's 64 degrees in southern Wisconson, decided to move my old car outside to clean garage, and rearrange a few things,noticed signs of mouse activity. While no urine odor was detected,I'm amazed by the signs of mice. Now I'm worried bout the pup, as it's stored where the area is less secured from mice. The car was in attached garage,with plenty of poison scattered along the walls. Are the mice here hybrids with less of a sense of smell? Nothing left in car for food,like camper. No signs of mice in house,as I've always set traps just in case,and checked weekly. Do they use tiny nose plugs?

4. Jeepguy93

Jeepguy93 Member

Mar 30, 2014
    MA
    I feel everyone's pain.

5. 64osby

64osby Member

May 11, 2015
    Cats work great for that problem. [}:)]

So does the water bucket, beer can trap. [A]

6. infernisdiem

infernisdiem Member

Mar 24, 2017
    Rodents are adapting to our methods of keeping them out, might be time to build a better mouse trap/deterrent.

7. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    The previous owner of my camper put moth balls in for the winter. It has been 4 years and the smell has finally gone away. It was really bad for at least two years.

8. kcsa75

kcsa75 Active Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    Fresh Cab. Works like a champ.

[​IMG]