STOLEN POPUP!!

Discussion in 'The Woodshed' started by LNicoleAdler, Apr 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

The sad thing at least in our city is the police won't do anything if you find it.
    Our daughter's house was broken into. Police came and report was filed. Laptop, ipad, game systems all had find my device and they followed it to a home a few streets away. Funny thing was there was a Department of Parole car in the driveway......history here?? The police would not do anything saying my daughter could have sold these devices then reported them stolen. Accident report, police saw ransacked house with broken window, parole officer visiting house where devices ping, but nothing. We know someone else who had the exact same thing happen.
    It might be different with a titled vehicle, but our experience was very frustrating.

2. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Insurance is a calculated gamble. Pay it and never need to use it you're out the money. Don't pay it and never need it you're a little ahead. Don't pay it and need it you're at a decent loss.

This is a risk that everyone takes that doesn't insure. Had the OP posted I just won a camper on a game show! and ask whether they should insure the responses would be split between insurance yes absolutely; or you're covered by your vehicle if anything happens and pop ups rarely get stolen so there's no need.

The OP took a gamble by not insuring and got bit. Coming on here to post and get the word out is a good idea. Advising them to look into sueing in civil court and skirt the failed responsibility is poor advice IMO whether it's winnable or not. I'm not looking to change minds but offer a different perspective. I'm of the opinion that lawsuits should be used only when necessary and this isn't one of those instances as others have said reasons why as well.

crackerJack, JWeible, Fixitup and 2 others like this.
  3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

If she paid to store the camper there then this is a mutual benefit bailment. The bailor has to provide reasonable care of the bailment. If a gate were left open or no security at all that would not be reasonable care.

4. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

IMO advising OP to consult a lawyer is wasting the lawyer's time and $. Be responsible and insure your property. Trying to put the responsibility on someone else is just plain wrong. There is a saying.......
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part.

JWeible likes this.
  5. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Well haven't the opinions on this thread been kicked all the way down the road and back? I've read it all since the first day it was posted and have had various changing opinions on it myself. I like the saying from Fixitup that states 'Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part'. We have many threads on here about how to secure your pup at home, while camping, while leaving unattended at the campsite, while its in storage, .... the list goes on. Obviously, the OP was not a member here before hers went missing, so we can't hold the lack of reading those posts against her. When it comes to property like this, you need to go above and beyond to keep your stuff safe. She thought she was doing enough by storing it in a gated yard, but obviously not. Thats unfortunate, and I feel bad for her. There are all kinds of trailer locks around, some better than others, and thats up to the individual to decide which is best for them. There's other things you can do, chain it to a tree, remove the wheels, at minimum, remove the license plate so it cops see it going down the road and hopefully pull it over. This has all been beaten to death in other threads. What I find a little interesting is that the OP doesn't really know anything about her Pup. She doesn't know the year of it, has no ownership for it, she doesn't know the VIN, she doesn't know the license plate number,.... I'm sorry to say that I, and I would hazard to guess that the great majority of people here know all that stuff about their Pups. I wrote that stuff all down the first day I got it. Within reason, to the untrained eye, most Pups look like most other Pups, and most people can't tell them apart from each other. I'm pretty sure the cops can't tell it apart from a Viking, or a Jayco, or a Rockwood, or a ..... because they all look the same, and I'm also sure it's not high on the cop's list of priorities. If they find it, they find it, if they don't, well..... If they see one, they have to actually go over to it, read the name on it, and check the VIN number. You can bet the license plate was changed within 5 mins of it being stolen. Around here the cops say 'lock it or loose it', which is maybe a poor attitude, but if it doesn't go missing, they don't have to go looking for it. Sad to say that people will take your stuff without thinking twice. It's my stuff, they have no right to it. I should be able to take a $100 bill, write my name on it with a sharpie, stick it on my front lawn right near the sidewalk, and put a stone on it to keep it from blowing away, and legally, nobody is supposed to take it. But it doesn't work that way, it'll be gone before I get back in my house because I didn't protect it well enough. I'm not sure what I'm ranting on so long about here, but it pi$$es me off when people's stuff gets stolen and they don't get it back, or it gets destroyed. I hate bad guys. Yes I have insurance on mine, and yes its very well secured here at home. Mine could get stolen, but they'd have to work pretty hard at getting it. Hopefully they will move on to the next one thats easier. Rant done!

Sjm9911 and Fixitup like this.
  6. penny

penny Well-Known Member

Lots of input here, but the bottom line is we in the western states could keep an eye out for that trailer in local ads of pop ups for sale and notify them if anyone sees the trailer for sale. Good idea on the part of the OP.
    Also, to the OP, thanks for the reminder of precautions we can all take to be aware of how to possibly prevent a similar theft. Hope for the best.

Toedtoes, Sjm9911 and Blackripley like this.
  7. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

Fantastically stated!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Hey ,people give it a rest. It was a thread started by someone whos camper was stolen. Thats it , nothing more. If you see it contact them . Thats it. Simple.
    All the rest is basicly bs. The op never asked for money, sympathy, insurance, or whatever. They just were asking for us, pop up people , to be on the look out for it. They asked us to be empathetic. They said they were inexperienced, never owning a camper. They never asked for advice on how to recoup there money, they just basicly gave us a story and hoped that we would be on the look out of there camper. And that we sould be doing. If you guys , gals want to start an insurance vs non insurance thing , do it elsewhere.

9. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Member

By now the OP has moved on and won't be back.

10. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Sheesh. My insurance company told me not to bother insuring my trailer. When it's being driven, it's covered on my tow vehicle insurance. When it's parked, it's covered on my homeowner's insurance.

Good luck to the OP - I hope it works out for you.

11. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

You might want to clarify what those policies cover, too. I feel certain they cover your trailer for liability, but not for loss.

12. Toedtoes

The homeowners insurance covers it for loss.

13. xxxapache

Who is your policy with? I need to check them out. It covers for loss from fire, theft and collision when way from home?

14. Toedtoes

First American. But most of them should cover it under the "personal possessions" section. Most policies have a max of up tp $10,000 or so. But that should include your trailer (if within that value amount) whenever it's not being towed. If you have any belongings that you take with you camping - camera gear, telescopes, etc., they would be covered too.

But, estimate the value first. My camera gear is worth about $5K by itself, so I have a rider on it. My riders cost $10 for every $100 of value. Well worth it to add for any higher value items. So if my trailer is stolen with my camera gear in it, I can claim and get reimbursed for the trailer, all the belongings inside (cookware, clothing, electronics, etc.) up to $10,000, plus all my camera gear on top of that. Without the rider, the camera gear would be covered with the rest only up to the $10,000 total.

Covers theft, loss, damage, etc.

If the OP hasn't been chased away, she should check her renter's insurance if she has it. It may be covered through that.

15. xxxapache

My homeowners wont cover my camper. It will cover a trailer used to service the property if it is taken from my house.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.