Storage compartment Reno

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Jaclyn, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Jaclyn

Jaclyn New Member

Sep 6, 2018
    We have started our storage compartment renovation. It was about 60% rotted and water damaged. I would love any tips and tricks you guys have, I'll post updates as we progress!
    IMG_20180909_111745.jpg IMG_20180909_103058.jpg

2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We were able to save ours, but it still stinks inside.

I have seen people just put vinyl back on the front and then add a big metal tool box. Also adding another photo of a common way people rebuild them.

images.jpg e8b44807ea7c00e5002c121389d0f1e5.jpg

3. kcormier19

kcormier19 Member

Sep 12, 2017
    massachusetts
    would love more information on where water was getting in and ho you removed the front storage box, all in 1 piece or sides, top, and front separately?

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I didn't remove mine , but water can come from anywhere, the side where it seals to the aluminum, the top of the corner where the aluminum meets the box, if a hot water heater is in there , check that for leaks. A small hole in the top of the cover. The seal. Through the hot water door. Pick one!

5. Jaclyn

Jaclyn New Member

Sep 6, 2018
    Ours was leaking through some pretty good cracks and a Half-dollar sized hole in the cover. We were trying to disassemble the storage compartment one piece at a time but the MDF was so damaged from the water that it literally broke when we were trying to pry the silicon apart. So it came off in one big piece. It has rained here everyday since we started this project so it is sitting under a tarp until this weekend when we can set up our canopy and get back to work. :)

6. kcormier19

kcormier19 Member

Sep 12, 2017
    massachusetts
    i am in the same boat as you in regards to the weather so i hope we both get some sun soon.

7. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Ours was leaking from a rotted seal on the lid and from where the panels met the main body on the side.