1. danbedw

danbedw New Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Hello. I have a 2000 Dutchman Voyager pop up with a front end storage compartment. I waited too long to make some necessary repairs to the lid of the unit. At some point in the last few months it blew right off of my tent trailer. After finding it a ways away at my storage site I saw the obvious damage that took place. Rivet holes all cracked, parts of the plastic covering was ripped off, etc... Anyway I'm trying to find a replacement lid which has been very difficult to do. Does anyone have any ideas on where to look or what I can do to replace my front end storage compartment lid? Thanks.

2. Toxictom

Toxictom Member

Aug 18, 2016
    The Jayco 1006 trailer I bought last summer had a badly damaged lid for the storage compartment. It consisted of two pieces of plastic riveted together. I removed all the latch hardware and hinge then used the lid to test various ways to mend the cracks and breaks. I tried store bought PVC cement, homemade PVC goop (acetone & PVC plastic) and a soldering iron. I felt the soldering iron seamed things back together the quickest so that is what I used to weld the cracks back together both on the storage lid and the plastic panel that covers up the rear of the unit. If you try to repair it, use a tiny drill bit and stop drill the ends of the cracks before making the repairs. I too had a bunch of messed up rivet holes where the piano hinge was attached. I just drilled new holes fairly close to the bad ones and re-riveted the hinge on. The storage lid has since withstood some serious rainstorms and kept everything inside nice and dry.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    A couple of people have posted reports of making, or having someone else make, a diamond plate lid for the storage compartment.

4. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    Should my camper be in excellent shape still when my storage lid goes, I will have a new one fabricated from diamond plate. It will be expensive (I'm cheap) but I won't have to worry about it after the fact.

As kitphantom says there have been others here that have done that.