Storage off-site? At a dealer? At a storage facility?

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by Stacey Sottung, Aug 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Stacey Sottung

Stacey Sottung New Member

Aug 17, 2018
    Hi,
    Does anyone store their pup not at "home"? I live in a city (Philadelphia), so storing at home is not an option. I have a few options about an hour and a half away, but I would prefer to not have that hassle. What are the costs for a facility? A quick google told me $50-$75 a month, is that normal?

2. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    I'm sure it depends on the area. We live in the city too. When we first bought the Pup I looked around and prices were all over the place. A local dealer charges $3 a foot with a $40 minimum. I eventually found a guy who had a gated construction lot that let me keep the Pup there for $30 or $35 per month.

A few months later I saw an ad on Craig's List for an indoor boat storage building about 10 miles from where we like to camp (about 60 miles from the house) for $55/month. At the time, I also had a small fishing boat in the garage. I was able to put the Pup and the boat in one space, enclosed with my own lock.

We've since replaced the little boat with a ski boat and the Pup with a TT. Both are now in their own covered stalls and it cost's me $110 per month for both. If I stored at the previously mentioned dealer, I'd be looking at $96/month for just the TT and it would be outside.

Advantages for me:
    • 1. The money I save in gas not towing the boat or the TT more than makes up for what I pay in storage fees.
    • 2. Boat and TT are already at the lake. If I stored them at home, I'd have to take two cars or make two trips.
    • 3. The guy I rent from a prince of a guy.
    Good luck in your search. [:)C]

3. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    I was just working in Philadelphia so I don't know a lot about the area, but I was staying in Cherry Hill, NJ and saw a lot of storage places over there.
    Maybe give that direction a try.

4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    I'm outside Philly, to the West, and I have to store my camper at a storage lot. I pay $67 a month. Now that's about 30 miles West of Center City. Your issue may be one of cost, availability, and security the closer you get to Center City. You may want to also consider where it is you go camping. If you tend to head up into the Poconos, then look for a storage lot in bucks county. If to the West, then Delaware or Chester counties and so on. If you get a spot in South Jersey and mainly camp in Pennsylvania, you'll have bridge tolls (which will be more because of camper in tow) and having to deal with city traffic every time you go camping. [:(O]

Keep in mind that the more distant the storage lot from your home, the more travel time will be involved to give your camper a hug each week. [LOL]

5. Stacey Sottung

Stacey Sottung New Member

Aug 17, 2018
    This is my exact dilemma! You nailed it! I live in the city, I'm from Bucks County, and I go to the Poconos a lot. I'm hoping to get a camper that I can renovate just slightly, so I want it to be in my travels. Maybe MontCo or Upper Bucks is the way to go? Lower Bucks is where I'm from, but its pricey. I'm secretly hoping I stumble across a friend or a business that I can store it at! ha!