Storm tested weekend

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Jorja, May 14, 2018.

1. Jorja

Jorja Active Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Delaware
    IMG_2634.JPG IMG_2636.JPG IMG_2637.JPG
    We were in Killens Pond State Park this weekend, and had a great time despite the strong thunderstorms with hail Saturday night.

It was up to 88 on Saturday. But with the shade campspot it was nice. Plus our AC kept the pop up at 68 - a good break for our senior dogs and us.

Sunday morning after the storms we were packing up with the dogs outside and us prepping the inside to pop back down when we heard a huge tree crashing.

We came out of the pup to see a huge 60 ft came down in the campsites behind us.

No rain, no wind Sunday morning. Luckily the family that the tree fell through was eating breakfast outside.

The tree flattened their bedroom and hit the side of the motor home that was directly behind us. But everyone was ok.

Mr Jorja had to take off after my border collie who is noise phobic (and had a rough night with the thunderstorm). Her 14 yr old self darted off a half mile down the camp road to the main road. After grabbing her two times, he finally tackled her to the ground. She was obviously pretty wigged with the crashing.

At least the family with the totaled trailer was ok. As was their white truck.

The ranger was around to take witness statements.

Hopefully next weekend camping will not be so eventful.

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Talk about an O s**t moment, glad to hear everyone is okay

Orchid likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    That has been one of my biggest fears. A tree or tree limb falling and hitting the camper. It doesn't take much for some trees to fall. Glad no one hurt. I had one of those dogs that stresses out on some sounds, but I'm pretty sure the tree would have freaked her out bad too. Have you tried the Thundershirt they make for dogs. Found that helps a bit as well as me ignoring her and not giving her any attention.

Orchid likes this.
  4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I am glad no one was hurt that tree falling could been really bad. You never know what Mother Nature will /can throw at you. I am sure the Dog wasn't the only animal freaked out about the near miss on your unit. It would have probably flattened your PUP and possible hurt (or worse) someone one, you had an angel sitting in the PUP with ya'll.
    I had something similar years ago, I was asked to move to another site as a regular was coming in and that was his reserved site, I moved, no big deal then we left and went to town
    coming back there was a several people standing around the newcomers site, seems his unit was brand new, 1st. time out, and a tree had fell and one large limb punched a hole completely thru the roof. The Ranger got a cherry picker from some where and removed the limb then we collected trash bags and duck tape and patched the hole. He took it to Pensacola next day for repairs.
    that limb would have flattened my PUP.
    Good Luck and Happy Camping

5. Jorja

Jorja Active Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Delaware
    I have to say the couple were real troopers - probably for their two young kids.

I felt bad for the mom to have their trailer totaled on Mothers Day. She was very grateful they were all ok.

The dad was even joking with us that he had just talked to a roof repair guy last Friday because he was worried about the wear on the roof and possible leak (it was a few year old Wildwood trailer)

We were joking that he should send a picture to the guy to see if he could fix it now (it looked really bad on the other side of the camper with the trunk through the bedroom and crushing the awning by the door.

For my rescue - I've tried a thunder shirt, doesn't help her. Melatonin calms her - she had some before the storms on Saturday- but yesterday all bets were off

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Hopefully every thing will settle down soon and your rescue will get back to some semblance of normal. Our Chihuahuas are gun shy too but resume normality 5 min after it happens. (except Pebbles, nothing bothers her unless I start packing to go camping and have not included her in the packing) Luckily no one was hurt in the accident, Items can be replaced but lives cannot.
    It looks like some of that mess is heading this way and will be here tonite. I will be camping
    also this is supposed to last until the day after Pebbles I get home. Being an ex-LD Backpacker and still canoe camp, I always look up in the trees and around me for a widow maker and so far my caution has worked, but a darn 60 ft tree would be hard to spot.
    Good Luck and Happy Camping

Orchid likes this.
  7. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    Glad it all turned out ok...

One of my first bad weather times was a hugh rain storm... It poured all night long. The next morning we got up to check out things and could not open the trailer door. The awning had filled completely up with water and was all drooping down in the middle. Would have never thought the awning would have been strong enough to hold all of that water...

I finally was able to pry up the awning to get it to pour off water to the side.

That's when we learned to always put a slope on one side of the awning haha

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

8. Jorja

Jorja Active Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Delaware
    Questions for anyone more knowledgeable:

Does 911 work in a campground usually?

Once you know everyone is ok.

If your camper (pop up, hybrid, TT) was totaled at a campground (private, state or national).

You first would contact the campground host/ranger

(Think I will start making sure I have those numbers available at different campgrounds that we go to from here on out).

Would the host/ranger have numbers of salvage places?

We have liability insurance on our camper which is an additional 7 dollars I think on our auto plan.

But I can't think our 11 yr old camper would be anything more than salvage.

Would you get something for the frame or do you have to pay a salvage place up front?

9. CivilizedOne

CivilizedOne Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Kentuckiana
    You may want to ask about replacement cost insurance. I don’t know how much it would cost, but might be an option.

My liability coverage for my camper comes from my towing vehicle per my insurance company.

10. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

What a crazy trip!

So glad for the happy ending, for the unhurt family and that your hubby caught your dog. How awful it would have been for him to be lost.

Branches falling is one of my worst fears, as well, especially being a pup. I always inspect the canopy over us when we get there for anything that looks sketchy. At the end of the day, you just never know, though.

Jorja likes this.
  11. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Iowa
    Does 911 work in a campground usually? Yes, if you have cell service. Some campgrounds in heavy forest, valleys, or just out of the way may not have much coverage. I recall reading somewhere that even if your carrier doesn't have service in an area, any phone that dials 911 can go onto any network that it can get out on. E.g. if you're on AT&T and they don't have converge in an area but your phone can see a Verizon network, Verizon has to let the phone complete the 911 call.

If your camper (pop up, hybrid, TT) was totaled at a campground (private, state or national).
    You first would contact the campground host/ranger (Think I will start making sure I have those numbers available at different campgrounds that we go to from here on out). Would the host/ranger have numbers of salvage places? I'd probably let the ranger know, but wouldn't be my first call. First would be to my insurance company, see below RE: insurance. They'd handle the salvage. I doubt the rangers would have that info.

We have liability insurance on our camper which is an additional 7 dollars I think on our auto plan. I keep full coverage with replacement value even on my 19 year old pop up. The pup itself is worth only a couple thousand, but the contents are valuable and I've done enough work to it to have it in good condition that replacing it would be expensive. The coverage itself is pretty cheap in my opinion.

But I can't think our 11 yr old camper would be anything more than salvage. Would you get something for the frame or do you have to pay a salvage place up front? The price of scrap metal has gone way down, you'll likely end up paying more for the towing/recovery than any scrap value. My opinion anyway.

Jorja likes this.
  12. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I have to park on an off-site storage lot. Unfortunately there are quite a few abandoned units that are sitting collecting rust and an insane amount of bugs/critters using it as a home. The cost to remove the campers are too expensive for the storage lot to pay and there is no money in the scrap. So sadly these eye sores are left where they are. The facility lose out on any potential renters, but then again I wouldn't trust parking there anyway.