Strawberry Bay

Discussion in 'Utah' started by BirdsNest, Jul 18, 2017.

1. BirdsNest

BirdsNest Active Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Utah
    We spent a few days at the Strawberry Bay campground near the marina at Strawberry Reservoir.

The temperature was great, ranging from about 10-15 degrees cooler than Salt Lake City during the day, and 20-30 degrees cooler at night.

The campground hosts on loop C were fantastic! We lost a couple of the bolts out of our trailer steps on the way there and Bill brought his "box of toys" over and provided replacements that fit perfectly. They were very attentive and made frequent trips around the loop to make sure everybody had what they needed and there weren't any problems. Very friendly, and their Golden Labradoodle dog is hilarious.

The campground itself was pretty boring, though. No shade of any kind, just (mostly) dry grass and a few wild flowers. Plenty of wild birds to watch, and the permanent roofs over the picnic tables are a nice touch. We were at C26, specifically to be close to the restrooms, but if we go there again, we'll either try to get C14 since it's the ONLY camp site in the entire campground that has trees, or else get on loop B which is the only loop with electric and water hookups. The other loops do have flush toilets and potable water faucets at regular intervals so it's not a significant problem unless you don't have a battery and/or water in the trailer.

Sadly, the worst part of the experience was the fact that there were a LOT of people who had apparently spent all day drinking beer while boating, then all evening drinking more beer, and then decided to have a shouting contest at 2 AM before they finally passed out. They were on the other side of the loop from us but we could very clearly hear that the majority of them possessed a vocabulary of approximately five words, none of which are appropriate to be shouting in a campground full of young kids at any time of day or night.

Gas is available at the marina, and the store has a HUGE selection of fishing and camping supplies as well as a decent but small variety of foods and snacks (and fresh soft serve ice cream!) but unless you need an "emergency" fill-up for a boat, it's about $1.50 per gallon cheaper to drive about 15 minutes east to Fruitland and fill up at the Big G truck stop.

I do plan to go back since fishing at Strawberry is amazing with some huge Cutthroat Trout and Kokanee Salmon (and millions of Crawdads/Crayfish if you're craving some mini lobsters), but I wish that the Soldier Creek campground on the east side of the lake allowed pets since fishing from the shore is much better on that side. And there are more trees as well.

2. Douggro

Douggro Active Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    As a native Utahan, my grandmother and great uncle took me up to Strawberry when I was kid for a weekend of fishing. Great in the summer to get away from the heat down in the valley, and the fishing was pretty good. Beautiful area too.