Stripped Holes

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by sallad84, Jul 6, 2018.

1. sallad84

sallad84 New Member

Jun 28, 2018
    I have an older Bonair I bought recently and have been fixing it up. One of the issues I am having is where the lift tracks mount to the roof they have come apart from the wall of the roof. It looks like they are just mounted into the wood trim that goes around the roof.

A friend of mine suggested using epoxy into the hole and setting the screw in the hole letting it sit for 6 hours. Would this work? Another friend suggested using a dowel and using wood glue then starting over again with a new hole....

Thanks!

2. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    I'd done amazing things with JB weld. I've even run a tap into it to restore threads (on non-load bearing pieces). I could see it working so long as you never want to uninstall the part.

3. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

Jul 3, 2008
    Iowa
    I would do a little more inspection and make sure the holes are not stripped as a result of wood rot. I dont know about the Bonair specifically, but many older pups have rotten side boards.

4. sallad84

sallad84 New Member

Jun 28, 2018
    Thank you for the replies. The holes seem pretty clean. I am very surprised how poorly these came mounted and not surprised they came apart.

5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    For small holes, I use toothpicks and Titebond III. For larger holes, I use more toothpicks. The more we use the Aliner, the more disappointed I am at how they are put together. Not much surprises me anymore. Just shows how little thought, if any, is put into building for longevity.