Stuff cooked in my new pan tastes funny

Discussion in 'Dutch Oven Cooking' started by souvafam, Feb 26, 2017.

1. souvafam

souvafam New Member

Mar 8, 2013
    I have a new to me cast iron pan my mom found for me at a garage sale. I scrubbed it many times but everything cooked in it tastes "off". Also the lid has an almost waxy coating on it. It is in great shape and seems seasoned but now I am leery of using it with the strange flavors. I have no idea what they used on it so now I would like to strip it and start over. I know how to re season but any suggestions on how to strip it clean? Any help would be appreciated! I really like the pot and it's exactly what I was looking for. It's about the size of a 12" skillet but with tall sides, a regular handle and small handle on the other side, no brand on it though.

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    The only time that I did that I sand blasted. If you know a place that can do that it's pretty short work for them.

3. world traveler

world traveler Member

Oct 23, 2015
  4. tombiasi

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Burning it off would work, it will stink up your house and sand blasting is faster.

5. wunderfog

wunderfog Member

Mar 24, 2015
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    I'd put it on a hot grill (empty and upside down) for a couple of hours, then scrub and start your seasoning from scratch. The grease used last might have gone rancid.

6. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    If you have a fireplace build a medium fire. Preheat the pan until it is almost to hot to handle. and set the pan upside down, and the lid, in the middle of the fire. Leave it till the fire burns out and the cast iron cools. That should burn off anything they may have put on it and hopefully won't set off your smoke alarm.

If you don't preheat the pan there is some risk it might crack.

7. tombiasi

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    @nnymom,
    Where are you located in NY?

8. nfisherman

nfisherman Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Illinois
    I have stripped and reseasoned several cast iron pans. I soak the pan in 1 pound of lye in about 4 gallons of water. An overnight soak does it. You have to be careful with lye but it strips the pans beautifully. You need to rinse and reseason immediately because the stripped pan will start to rust as soon as it dries. Barkeeper's Friend powder works well for scrubbing any rusty spots.

9. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    x2. Then use 2 coats. Instead of 1 heavy, put 1 light coat on, rub off as much as you can, turn upside down on gas grill as hot as you can get it, bake 1 hour, cool down to touch and do it a second time

10. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    Put it in your self cleaning oven and let it run a full cycle. I do that with all new or new to me CI.

Does the odd taste seem fishy or spoiled oil?

First I would scrub is with dish soap and a plastic brush and see how that goes.