SUCCESS! Propane Fridge Repair

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by Digger, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Bummer72

Bummer72 Lancaster, PA

Nov 1, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I don't know how I missed your OP back in April, Carl, but all I have to say is that's a darn good write-up. I can only imagine the $$$ you saved lots of people with the great descriptions of each step of the procedure.

I don't have a frige in my PUP, but sometime, somewhere, this knowledge will come into use.

Thanks!!!

2. Digger

Digger Foothills of Central Virginia

as far as I remember it is a standard direction thread. I wouldn't soak it in 3-in-1, and after I got the thing loose, I'd wipe it off before firing up the propane, but you'll be fine....I hope it works for you!

One of these days Doug, a new camper will come knocking! [:D] The only problem is you'll have to get a new TV too!

3. Jen

Jen New Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Central CA
    I've been a lurker on this forum for a while, but I felt I had to finally login because of this thread.

We just got back from camping trip and we could not start our propane on the fridge, quick search brought up this thread. We have the same fridge. Did the cleaning and sure enough there was a spider nest inside, put it all back together and fired right up! [:D]

Thanks for a great write up and pictures, I'm sure this will save a lot of people some money and time. I know it did us! Now we can pack up and head out camping again!

Thank you!! [:D]

Jennifer

4. ogeer3

ogeer3 New Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Grand Prairie,TX,75052
    Good write up and great pictures, thanks. The only problem that I see is that is not my fridge.

5. pianewman

pianewman Ft. Worth, TX

Aug 30, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    My stack gets very hot on propane and 120, with no cooling inside. Could my problem be the same as others here, a clogged "crack pipe"?

6. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

Nov 16, 2006
    NC
    Digger, is your fridge a Norcold? Mine is a Dometic and it looks very different. I cleaned out the burner tube on mine just this past Saturday.

7. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

Jan 13, 2008
    IIRC, the "crack pipe" is actually the burner. If this were clogged, there would be diminished or no flame & heat.

8. pianewman

pianewman Ft. Worth, TX

Aug 30, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Okay, did the burner clean out per Digger's instructions, and found nothing clogging the burner. Some very small bits of rust, or something, did fall out of the gas line at the "cup". (the stack was getting hot before, but the interior of the fridge wasn't cooling)

So, I started the fridge at "camp driveway", and it's working (38 degrees) on gas, medium setting, and then 24 hours, same temp, on 120, set at 4. I still don't know if I've solved the problem, as it worked in my driveway before, and intermittently while camping.

I'm very careful about leveling the popup, so that's not the problem. Any thoughts?

9. Digger

Digger Foothills of Central Virginia

Wow...didn't realize there were so many posts I hadn't responded to.....mine is a Dometic...vintage 2004 - must just be a different model or something.

Ed...the amount of debris that came out of mine was a lot either...and it was brown and crumbly - like a mud daubers nest. Hopefully you are good to go!

Jen, I'm glad it helped! :)

10. wfi

wfi New Member

May 3, 2010
    Mine was very tight. WARNING: do not use a large wrench on the cylindrical burner cup -- it will pop off. (I was able to get mine back on, thank heavens!) Instead, carefully use one wrench on the square stem of the "crack pipe" and a wrench on the feed line nut in opposition. Worked like a charm.

One other tid bit wasn't clear to me on reading the procedural description. After removing the single screw holding the cover over the burner assembly (crack pipe), the cover needs to slide to the left to disengage from a flange at the back right. Then it can slide forward.

All in all, an incredibly helpful post! Thanks!

11. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

Mar 13, 2007
    To prevent this from occuring, epoxy screen on all the opening on the outside covers to prevent the critters from getting in. First mod I did to our pup was screen EVERY possible opening into the pup, inlcuding the AC cover on the roof, fridge covers, and hot outlet for heater (metel sink stopper from Lowes, real cheap) We have not had any bugs get into any of the appliances. Instead they come in around the pull out dinnet corners...now we have to duct tape those every time we camp...wife is allergic to wasps, and they got in there alot when we first started camping. This past weekend I added more snaps and velcros on the dinnete corners and all areas bugs can get in...we got lots of spiders this past weekends camping trip.

JJ

12. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Wow, that was an excellent write up! We have a 2008 Fleetwood Seapine and we have the same fridge setup. Our fridge works fine, but I cannot see them harm in checking it at the beginning of each season. Maybe something to add to the checklist for dewinterizing??

13. zee

zee Member

May 1, 2010
    NICE POST!! VERY HELPFUL!

14. findoggy

findoggy New Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I followed your step-by-step guide and had mine taken apart, cleaned (spliced in the ignitor wire too since my burned), and re-installed in about 40 minutes. It works GREAT!!!!! I am so excited! And, the local RV dealer quoted me $85/hr to work on it, so it save me a nice chunk of change!!! Thanks again, i love this site!
    findoggy

15. kurtes

kurtes Reno, NV

Jun 7, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Great job on this! I am learning something here every time I look at anything.

16. Pescador

Pescador New Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Love the write up. I blew my whole unit out because the person I purchased it from had not run it for awhile. Had stuff flying everywhere and got lucky because I did blow out several insects but the fridge is running well. Now if I have problems with cooling or the keeping her lit I know what to look for. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and my your fridge run cooler than ever. [:)C]

17. GrimmReaperSound

GrimmReaperSound New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Many, many thanks. This just saved me money and time. Our fridge wasn't keeping up when on propane during our last outing. I found this sticky, one hour later, the fridge is working as it should on propane. That justifies why I'm on PUP. Excellent work on the post!

18. Agcflash

Agcflash Lets Go Camping!!!

Sep 20, 2007
    N Carolina
    Thanks for thte great write up!!! I plan on checking my this weekend. And since I just had to put up screen on my home's attic vents to keep 20 bats out, I will use the left over to cover all my appliance openings. Thanks

19. Desert Lover

Desert Lover New Member

Help! Need further assistance as I've done all the steps listed in this thread, which is excellent with great photos. Am hoping someone might have a few more ideas on what other steps we can take. My popup frig (Dometic model 4223 i3-way in a Rockwood 2516 year 2005 popup) won't cool on LP Gas. Works fine on electric. The gas flame is blue and the stack gets very hot, but refrig doesn't cool at all on gas mode. We've followed all the steps in this thread, including cleaning the burning assembly, soaking the aperature cup in alcohol, blowing out the lines, cleaning the stack/flue baffle and tube. Thinking it might be the thermostat, we even ordered and installed a brand new thermostat assembly and gas value, which cost us $200. Any other possibilities that you can think of?

20. toth family

toth family New Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Hi Digger -
    Thanks for the great post on fridge repair! We have a different fridge (on a 2000 Coleman Mesa), but your directions and photos were a great help. My hubbie cleaned out the burner and now the fridge works like a champ. You're awesome!
    Lisa