SUCCESS! Propane Fridge Repair

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by Digger, Apr 11, 2009.

1. suprz

suprz may you never doubt yourself....

Feb 1, 2007
    Thank you digger.... I wasnt getting a good, or consistent spark on my ignitor, i took the cover off and cleaned the burner and the contacts, and all seems to be well now. I havent used it yet, but i am at least getting a nice spark everytime i hit the ignitor. when i fill up the tires, i will use the air gun to blow some air in that hole and make sure nothing was living in there over the winter. Oh and by the way, the little swinging "door" that covers the peep hole for making sure the burner is lit, is missing, should i replace that, or just leave it off?

2. poncho62

poncho62 New Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Hi all...just joined the other day as I just bought my 2004 Coleman Sante Fe....It has a Dometic RM2193....I have had the fridge running for the last couple of days, empty and it only gets down to about 40 degrees. Doesnt really feel cold enough to me...Have tried it both on gas and 120 volt....so I came looking....I am considering cleaning the burner, but the flame looks good and 120 volt is the same......Seems to have adequate ventilation out of the stack.....

BTW....I have the fridge set at max

Is 40 degrees normal?.....Any other opinions?

Thanks......and great thread on cleaning the burner

3. notjeep

notjeep New Member

Nov 21, 2010
    HELP - I have the same fridge in my PUP. It worked great on our first trip on propane, but the second trip it wouldn't cool down. I hooked it to electric when I got to our campsite, and it still didn't work. We've used an ice chest the last 2 trips, but would love to use the fridge. Any quick tips to try for one that doesn't cool on LP, or electric? Thanks in advance.

4. MD Saga

MD Saga Pop-up journeymen

May 31, 2011
    Maryland
    Just did this on our fridge this past saturday. Great instructions!!! Had one side hole and the main burner hole blocked. Flame was coming out the other side hole. Cleaned out the crack pipe and reassembled and was granted the coveted blue flame of cooling goodness.

5. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Yep, Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey! [;)]

6. iaccocca

iaccocca New Member

Aug 6, 2011
    Thanks for the write up. My new to me camper has the self-same fridge and it was only working on 12 volts. I found the 110 V switch was bad and replaced that to get it working on AC and DC. Then, with the help of this write-up I cleaned the propane burner and am back in business with a three mode fridge. TNX

7. JJonesy

JJonesy New Member

Nov 13, 2011
    We we told by the previous owner that the fridge in our pup wouldn't run on propane. I actually negotiated a lower price because of this! Using this post, I was able to get the "crack pipe" off without taking the fridge all of the way out. Both holes near the cup were completely blocked. Got everything cleaned out really well using a small bottle brush and compressed air. It fired right up and now we're cooling with gas!

Thanks for a great post.

8. trikebubble

trikebubble New Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Another thank you for the great write up. I had a flame will not stay lit issue.
    I was able to remove the "crack pipe" without removing the whole fridge, clean up the burner unit, clean the sooted thermocoupler, re-install it all.....and get that nice consistant blue flame I was looking for.

Thanks again.

9. Selffamily

Selffamily New Member

Mar 14, 2012
    [:D]And another Success! Thank you so much for posting this, we were just about ready to take our new to us 97 Star Craft to the dealership in fustration of not being able to keep the propane lit. Your instructions were clear, and right on! I love this site and the knowledge available. Thankyou-thankyou-thankyou!

10. eagle424

eagle424 New Member

May 23, 2009
    My RV dealer charges $75/hour. I will have the laptop in hand this weekend doing exactly what this thread says to do. I can't wait to see the results. Thanks so much for this post!!!

11. gunrock

gunrock New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Yeah thanks everyone, between this and my manual, I think (have to test yet, but I did have debris in my burner) I have a working fridge on all 3 sources now. :)

I had to solder my ignition wire as well. Afterwards, I checked continuity with the meter, hooked it up and saw some sparks!

I also knocked off all the peeling paint and rust with a wire brush. I probably shouldn't have done it, but I took an alcohol soaked q-tip inside the crack pipe to get a spider web out of it.

Finally, anyone know, is this little white piece a filter? I am pretty sure it fell out of the short gas supply line and it fit perfectly.

Thanks again for this site!

gunrock

[​IMG]

12. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    I've never seen anything like that in a fridge but, other than to remove it from the pup, I've never ripped one apart either.

I have no idea at all where in the refrigeration system that might belong but that looks like a cigarette filter minus the paper wrapping on the outside to me.

13. gunrock

gunrock New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Yeah I'm about 75% positive it fell out of the gas line when I blew it out...not sure but it fits perfectly....only reason I blew out the short piece of gas line is because I thoughts i might have stuff in it from wire brushing the rust and paint off the fins.

14. Spridle

Spridle Member

Jun 6, 2011
    I was having trouble getting mine to light but once lit it worked fine. Took the cover off and found carbon buildup running right out to the ignitor. It was sparking, but very weakly. Knocked the carbon off and brushed off the top of the flame tube. Now it lights first click and I saw 29 degrees in the fridge with ambient in the high 80s all weekend. Don't see much point to doing the fridge mod with those numbers. Mine is a Norcold but this thread and pictures still gave me a bit of help with knowing where my problem might be so thanks for that.

15. Shuswap

Shuswap New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    On the Dometic rm2193 there is a filter shown on the parts diagram in that location.

16. Shuswap

Shuswap New Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Thanks to Carl's (Digger) excellent writeup I was able to fix my Dometic rm2193 fridge today. I did find it necessary to loosen the control panel and the main propane supply joint to allow the gas lines to move about for easier breaking of the joint at the burner. Both were extremely tight. The nuts are not exactly grade 8 steel so they are easily damaged. I found it useful to have the parts schematics for reference [urhttp://www.gas-refrigerators.com/pdf/RM2193-parts.pdfl][/url]

17. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Jun 21, 2012
    Thanks for the info!

18. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

Jul 22, 2012
    [TV] If you smell ammonia, your fridge is toast, Just replace it. One can use a cooler to transport the food then use a small AC fridge from your local store while camping. Saves a ton of money this way.

19. Deannetor

Deannetor New Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Hey Digger,

When are the pictures coming back? I took my NTM 2008 Fleetwood Arcadia out for the first time last weekend and couldn't get the fridge to light on propane. The igniter goes tick-tick-tick for a few seconds and then stays blinking amber (which owner's manual says means it didn't light). I will probably take the outside panels off and start trying to tinker with it this weekend but would love to see your pictures which are currently missing with "temporarily unavailable" in their places. Pictures really help me!

Thanks!

20. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

Jul 22, 2012
    [TV] [HYC] I had a similar problem on a 2 month old travel trailer years ago. A stupid spider built a web inside the tube that delivered the gas to the burner. Removed the tube, use air compressor at 100 psi to blow the bugger about 10 miles away, and all was well after that..