Surge protector

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Dusty road, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Dusty road

Dusty road Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Conneaut, Ohio
    Besides a surge protector, what precautions should I take so my campers electrical system doesn't fry? Campground power doesn't seem reliable.

2. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    You can use a simple AC electrical plug in style tester,
    http://www.raycitte.com/parts_store/images/9db75ee40e9ff9088c93f3123baeec21.jpg

or just a volt meter to test all the circuits.

However, those test the circuit before you plug into the outlet, and if the circuit goes bad while plugged in, you might not know til it is too late. (Happened to a friend years ago.)

I installed a progressive HW30C, easy install but a bit pricey. But it protects against more than a surge or drop in power, it also protects against an opens, reverse polarity, etc.

https://smile.amazon.com/Progressiv...progressive+industries+30+amp+surge+protector

3. Dusty road

Dusty road Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Conneaut, Ohio
    Thanks, pricey but I think it's what I'm looking for. Beats burning up the system.

4. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    I've never heard of one being used in a pop up, but a lot of musicians use power conditioners to clean up power and protect their gear. They provide surge protection and reduce noise/interference. I checked my local Craigslist and found a 15 A conditioner for $30, and a 20 A model for $85

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We have the plug-in 30 amp EMS from Progressive. It has cut the power for low voltage on at least two occasions, on one evening probably 4 or 5 times. Once was at home, when there had been a wide-spread outage - we didn't lose power, but apparently the voltage went low at some point. The other was last year in a campground, I had had the site next door a week earlier with no issues, so I don't know if it was the site or the fact that it was hot, supper time, and I was parked among the huge RVs with multiple air conditioners, cooking appliances, etc.
    While we have never had it indicate incorrect ground, or such, it's nice to have it run checks before allowing power through to the camper.

6. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    I have a couple APC power conditioners inside the house for high end theater systems, however, they have to be plugged into an outlet and then the components are plugged into the power center.
    How would this work in a camper. Would you plug the conditioner into the pedestal (via an extension cord maybe), then plug the converter into the conditioner?

7. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    I guess it depends on what you'd want to protect. If you're running an AC, I don't think it would work. You'd probably need a 30 amp protector. For protecting other electronics, I'd say plugging in at the pedestal would work, or plugging into one outlet inside the pup with all electronics plugged into it.

I have personally never had a problem with CG power, but the only thing I use electricity for is lights, a fan, and a coffee pot.

8. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I have a Camco Power Defender. I have had it shut down the power to my TT due to low voltage.

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Don't have anything yet, largely due to the cost of them up here..

10. Dusty road

Dusty road Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Conneaut, Ohio
    Okay, low voltage too? I was worried about a bad ground or high voltage.

11. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Low voltage happens when there is heavy draw on the campgrounds system like on a hot day when everyone is running their AC. I keep a digital voltage gauge plugged in my TT kitchen outlet so I can see what the voltage is.

12. Dusty road

Dusty road Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Conneaut, Ohio
    Thanks guys for the ideas, guys.