Sway bars 2007 Silverado 1500 jayco jay

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by MarcT, Aug 11, 2017.

1. MarcT

MarcT New Member

Aug 10, 2017
    I saw and accident on our highway, truck like mine towing a travel trailer. The truck and trailer blocking both lanes, truck was upright trailer on its side. Looks like the trailer swayed and tipped on its side. I have a 2007 Jayco jay and 2007 Silverado 1/4 ton I think I won't need sway bars, what's your opinion?
    Thanks

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Here are my two cents. I towed my old Jayco 1006 without a sway bar with my 4Runner without too many problems. Only once I had a problem with sway due to a freak wind burst. It was a very scary situation and almost wished I had something to assist. With that said it wouldn't hurt to use a sway bar. Just in case something was to happen a little more sway control will be better than nothing. My current popup is over 3000 lbs so I immediately went with a sway bar.

MarcT likes this.
  3. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    Most likely a Silverado 1/2 ton they don't make a 1/4 ton.
    I tow a 3000 lb popup with a GMC Sierra 1/2 ton and have towed the same trailer with two different Silverado 1/2 ton trucks ("13/'15) and never had a sway problem even when being hit by 30-40 mph cross winds in UT, or when passing or being passed by any trucks.
    If you ever do feel or see the trailer starting to sway, lightly apply the trailer brakes to straighten it back up.
    But that is my experiences. However, I have no idea how big a Jayco Jay is.

But if you would feel more comfortable with a sway control device (sway bar is part of the TV suspension) they are not hard to install, and connect. And only about 50 bucks. And feeling comfortable while towing is very important for everyone.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  4. Farva378

Farva378 New Member

I'm in the same boat. I've never felt the need to install sway bars.

But like f5moab says: feeling comfortable while towing is very important for everyone.

5. soft 17

soft 17 Member

Mar 14, 2017
    San Luis Obispo
    I pulled our 3000+ pop up with our 4runner and a sway bar. Twice we forgot to set it and you could defiantly tell the difference. Glad I installed it before our 2500 mile trip!