"Sway Command" - good idea or bad?

Discussion in 'Road Safety Systems' started by WeRJuliIan, Jul 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

May 15, 2014
    Sarasota, FL
    [Post Deleted]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  2. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I agree with you. I'm also an engineer. When I see things like this I think I bet it works fantastic... until it doesn't. Then I'm stuck somewhere because this rocket science failed due to complexity.

3. WeRJuliIan

May 15, 2014
    Sarasota, FL
    OK, following up on my own post... I found out, from another forum, that Jayco are pulling the units out and tossing them, and compensating people who paid to have it as an option at purchase time.
    They are also advising people to do this for whatever TV you have... since, of course, you might change it in the future. The manufacturers of the unit (Lippert) are saying the same thing.

Glad we didn't get one...

4. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    I'm sure this system is obviously junk but there a few comments from engineers that made me shake my head. Not trusting electronics to the safety items on any vehicle is a false sense in the widest form. First is the fact that any brake controller is electronic and in control of your trailer brakes. Next, electronics accelerate your vehicle. No late model vehicle has a cable pulling on a linkage to increase fuel delivery to your engine. Next is ABS braking. Been mandatory since 1994 in all passenger vehicles, all electronic. Then, there is traction control, all required electronics, and vehicle stability control. Does the same thing as the sway command only no control over the engine.

Thinking that you are running with less electronics controlling your vehicle is like thinking your not going to get hit in a crosswalk. Anyone driving a vehicle made in this melinium and up to 20 years of the last is probably running on wire more than you realize. Get on an airplane. That whole thing is run on a multitude of electronics, and they don't really even need a pilot anymore. Just saying, electronics today in a modern vehicle is just as important as the mechanical components in it as well. Yep, some systems don't work out, that is evident. But don't think that your not part of the crowd running analog or mechanical because those days are long gone.

Sorry, just had to put that out there...........

5. WeRJuliIan

May 15, 2014
    Sarasota, FL
    I've deleted my original post, as I'm not in the mood to get into an argument.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  6. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    I apologize. I'm not trying to offend anyone. It's just that the statements couldn't be father from what is actually in place and just doesn't seem representative of an engineer's thinking. I agree that simplicity makes it seem straight forward but nothing about a modern vehicle is regarding its safety features and what you may or may not be at your control. In fact, the electronics in vehicles today is pretty much why the mileage death rate has dropped to its lowest since the invention of the automobile. All thanks to science and engineering.

With all due respect, Please excuse my rant. Being offensive was not my intention.

7. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    This is true and understand your reasoning. I'm not saying I'm amish and set in my ways. Those examples also passed the test of time. It's also very common place for new technology to be full of bugs. In 10 years I'm sure it will be common place and run like a Rolex. Obviously now it was riddled with problems and they are pulling the plug. This is the type of issue I was referring to. I shy away from big purchases with new tech thinking yes it's cool but I'm not going to gunea pig it for them.