symptom of a problem?

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Jhunt012, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Jhunt012

Jhunt012 Member

Aug 27, 2015
    My roof does not lower smoothly. If one turn would lower it 1'' - I basically turn it one time and then it almost "drops" the 1'' - I do another turn and then it "drops" again until it's all the way down.

When raising the roof it clicks and goes up smoothly.

Just hoping someone can make a recommendation/suggestion if it sounds like this might turn into a bigger problem where the lift system quits working.

Thanks!

2. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Durham, NC
    I had this same question when I joined the portal and another member was kind enough to PM me with the following:

-''when I crank it back down I get all sorts of jumpiness''-

actually that's how the system works=

when you lower the roof you are not cranking it down.

UN-winding the wiffletree lets the roof free-fall until the slack is taken up -roof stops

as you continue un-winding roof stops & starts OVER & OVER
    So, essentially, your roof and lift mechanism are working as intended. It probably wouldn't hurt to grease and lube the whiffletree and pulleys, but I don't think this is necessarily indicative of a problem.

Jhunt012 likes this.
  3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    I would start by inviting a few buddies over to watch each corner and see if one is sticking. Might just need lubricating.

Jhunt012 likes this.
  4. Jhunt012

Jhunt012 Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Thanks! That makes perfect sense and that is exactly what it feels like is happening. I appreciate your time.
    -Jim

5. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    The roof lowers from its weight and sometimes the corners hang up a bit. So as the cable is released from the winch it will sometimes hold and drop. When you raise it, the winch is pulling the cable tight so it will raise smoother than when lowered.

Jhunt012 likes this.
  6. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    as ya crank up you tighten/squeeze several thing together, one thing is a disc of brake pad material.
    The squeezing allows you to crank the roof up.
    turn the crank the other way and you un-squeeze the brake material and allow the roof weigh to turn the winch letting out cable and squeeze the brake if you stop cranking.

Jhunt012 likes this.
  7. roybraddy

roybraddy Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    The only time this has ever been a big concern for me was when I was not as level as I should have been. One time it was real bad and I actually hit a clunk area about one foot from being down. I cranked it back up to the top and moved my trailer abit to make it more level and it worked just fine doing this...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Jhunt012 likes this.
  8. Boatnman

Boatnman Active Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    We have a 2007 Fleetwood Cheyenne and the roof lowers smoothly. If you're not familiar with the Fleetwood/Coleman lift system, I recommend you watch this video from CamperSolutions.com: www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBkS9BWx-R0

Have you greased the whiffletree and lubed the pulleys? The video explains how to grease the whiffletree and it only takes a little spray of dry silicon on each pulley (8 under the PUP and 2 in each lift arm) to reduce the friction.

Here's the Parts Book for your PUP. Take a look at page 4 to see how the cables work within the lift arm:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0273/4347/files/2006_coleman_americana.pdf?16695232820753828628

The nut labeled as 12 is what is connected to the whiffletree.

As you "unwind" the whiffletree, gravity should be lowering the roof and since each main cable goes over a pulley in the lift arm, the weight of the roof is actually putting tension on the main cables. Therefore, as you crank down, you're controlling how fast the roof lowers. There shouldn't be any "catching up" with the cables nor should the roof lower on its own. That's how the lift system is designed to work.

9. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2011
    Stillwater, MN
    I agree that you should not get any "Jumpiness". The roof should lower smoothly. That is assuming you have the trailer reasonably level. Unlevel will cause odd thing to happen.