T-stat change out.

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by daveo1289, May 12, 2017.

1. daveo1289

daveo1289 Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Rochester NY
    I've been toying with changing the T-stat from analog to digital for the last year now. I have one that I was going to use on my PUP but we went to a hybrid before I made the change. It was sitting on my work bench in the basement for a few years and when I went to get it, I noticed some corrosion on the battery contacts. I spent a couple of minutes cleaning it up and making sure it still worked. In the camper, I took the analog T-stat apart to look at the wiring. Ended up breaking a wire off as I was pulling it off. The die was cast! One thing on my camper was the length of the wires to the T-stat in the camper. Real short, so off to the hardware store for some wire and shrink tubing. Got my stuff and soldered the wires and covered them. Connected the digital T-stat up and tested it out. I let it run for the afternoon while I did other things and it looks as if I have a winner. The real test comes next week as we're off to camp. I put the analog T-stat in a camper drawer for justin.

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We have done the change in both our second popup (first had no furnace) and TT. We changed the connection in the pup to a plug, with a long wire, so the thermostat could be placed on the counter. That was a much better location than the original one, in a niche 4" above the floor. Reduced the temperature swings to something bearable.
    We actually changed the 'stat twice in the TT, we did not buy one with a temporary back-light first time. The location made it difficult to see without a flashlight much of the time.

3. CO Hiker

CO Hiker Active Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Colorado
    "Backlight"! Good call because I had completely overlooked that nicety. Digital t-stat is the next upgrade to Gypsy.
    Thanks Kitphantom (again)

kitphantom likes this.
  4. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    Sounds like a great idea! I didn't think much of either the thermostat or it's positioning in our PUP. I have a digital one on order now, should be in Wednesday.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    If you make an extension up for the wires you can the sit the new tstat on the counter or table. ..