tail light wiring problem(s)

Discussion in 'Road Safety Systems' started by kippiedreher, Apr 19, 2009.

1. kippiedreher

kippiedreher New Member

Apr 19, 2009
    I need help, I have a 1993 starcraft pop up.Trying to install new tail lights on camper. Truck is 02 ford ranger with 4 prong connector. The pop up has 3 wires to tail lights. Cannot get turn signals to work. Switched wires, then break lights dont work. how do I get to the tail light wiring in the camper to replace with new wiring? thanks.

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Your Ranger should be wiried like this. The bare terminal (white wire) is the ground. the terminal next to it (brown wire) is the running lights, next to that (yellow wire) is the left turn and stop, and the last terminal (green wire) is the right turn and stop). I would start at the truck and check the operation there first. Use a test light or voltmeter. I say this because my neighbor Ranger has separate stop and turn lights. The garage down the street installed a four terminal for him and didn't install a light convertor (Which will change the separate lights into one at the trailer plug). He played with it for weeks. If the plug checks out ok, Confirm the ground and use your test light at the rear wiring to find the correct wires.http://www.etrailer.com/faq_wiring.aspx

83 JaycoJay 806, 04 Grand Cherokee, Ray and Jin

3. kippiedreher

kippiedreher New Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Thanks for the info,I think I'm going back to three wire instead of four. I blew two fuses in the ford already.The pop up only has 3 wires anyway. I cannot get to the wires in the pop up(pup)to replace them any way. how do you tie the running lights in on a three wire? thanks

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    You now have me confused. The very first thing you need is a very good ground connection between the truck and the camper. The four terminal plug needs to have the white wires at both ends connected to the frames. This is a must. You can now use the remaining three wires for the lights. One tailight both sides and a right and a left stop/turn. Next your light assemblies only have 1 bulb in them correct? The wire that to the brass cylinder that the bulb goes into will be the ground wire. It needs to go to something metal, frame the best place. The other 2 wires will be be one (dim) running/taillight) and the other will be for the brighter part of the bulb which is for the turn/stop.

83 JaycoJay 806, 04 Grand Cherokee, Ray and Jin

5. kippiedreher

kippiedreher New Member

Apr 19, 2009
    Thanks for the info, I was using 5 wire instead of 4 wire, lites work fine. kippiedreher

6. Greg Nelson

Greg Nelson New Member

Oct 1, 2017
    Is this thread still active. New rear lights on my 93 Starcraft top up. LR works. RR has different stock wires and not matched up. Think LR good to finish up. Opinions? Advice? White wire on RR not correct as ground?

7. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    You need a ground regardless of the colors. I am not clear on what you are asking. If by LR and RR you mean left rear and right rear, (trailers have no front signals) and the left works you are good there. The right needs a good ground.

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    If your truck has yellow turn signals, you might need a convertor. Std wiring the brake lights and turn signals use the same bulb. With yellow turn signals there are separate bulbs, you will need a taillight convertor to get them to work correctly. When working at NAS Cecil Field Rec Services I installed quite a few of these on vehicles so they could take a boat or TT out. If needed Do a search for taillight convertor on the Inet lots of info there