That got the heart pumping!!!

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by BillyMc, Jan 16, 2019.

1. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    We have a scout camping trip this weekend so I'm gathering and check off everything we need. Some of this stuff hasn't been used since last January so I'm testing it as I'm packing. I didn't feel like hooking up the tree on a 20# cylinder so I grabbed a couple 1 pounders. First up is the lantern, flint worn out in striker. Replace the flint, no biggie, took longer to find the flints in the storage tub than it did to replace it. The mantles were in perfect shape from the last time I used it. Turn the knob and first strike it lights. Put it down to get out the stove and before I got it out I heard a hiss over my shoulder. I turned to investigate just as the lantern burst into a fireball!!! The flame settled down to a stream of fire coming from around the knob. I blew out the fire only to have it restart almost instantly. After blowing it out a couple more times and frantically turning the knob to off I managed to get the fire out and the lantern off. I no longer have hair on my hands:( Well off to Kmart to see what they have.

2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Grab a new pair of shorts while you're there! [:D]

kcsa75 and BillyMc like this.
  3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I don't think they sell hair for hands. o_O

1380ken, TinyCamperPro and BillyMc like this.
  4. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    They had one, on sale for $20 and it's a quick pack.

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    man that is scary, luckily you were not hurt too badly. I had the same thing happen with a Coleman stove stove we were tent camping and My camping pardner was sitting at the table when it started , it burned a small place on my roll up wooden table but he shut if off at the tank (regular tank) and all was well, but if he had been wandering around with me the campsite would have probably gone up in flames

BillyMc likes this.
  6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Wow talk about scary. I was thinking of going to a propane lantern or at least the green bottle ones but now I think I will stick to my battery operated led lanterns. Never had anything more than leaking batteries with mine. I wish I can go camping but we still have 6" if snow on the ground and more coming this weekend.

7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    You still have a Kmart? All the Kmarts around here closed years ago.
    [:)C]

neighbormike and jmkay1 like this.
  8. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    ^^ There is still a "Big K" in the town near my regular campground but our local store has been gone for years. Jmkay, I've had a Coleman Northstar for 7-8 years (used regularly) and have had zero issues (other than needing to use a lighter rather than the built-in ignitor).

9. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    That lantern is about 20 years old and I dropped it last year shattering the globe and possibly damaging the valve. I bought another and don't have a worry about using it at all. I'm about to search for a replacement valve for the old one.

neighbormike likes this.
  10. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    After much searching I have discovered that the fire bomb lantern isn't a Coleman. It is an Ozark Trail lantern. That also explains why the Coleman globe doesn't fit tight. I guess I have a striker and spare globe for the new lantern because I can't find any parts at all for it.