There is help for those with bad backs

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by BillnSusan, Jun 8, 2016.

1. BillnSusan

BillnSusan Member

Jun 1, 2010
    I'm hoping this post will help those who are afraid they have a limited time before they have to switch from a pop up to a TT. My husband has a bad back and though he can do most things that need to be done, once he has overused it, it takes him some days to get back to a pain free life. Recently I overdid it with my back (set up 2 pop up campers in the driveway mostly by myself, after doing 2 days of heavy lifting in the yard). I injured my back and it has taken many many days to be able to walk without a cane. I was determined that I would find a way to use our new camper (which we upgraded to because it is hi-wall, so no galley to lift, it is power lift, so no cranking. I looked for an answer online and didn't find one, so I looked (outside the box), found something and took a chance. I ordered the Helping Hand from ebay (about $54 with shipping). It WORKS!!! we can even adjust it (without any extra parts) to lift the beds on our old camper and the ones on our new hi-wall. If the ground is VERY sloped under the beds, we might need to come up with something to put underneath it, but it will work with some angle to it, just don't know how much. Hoping for a pain free camping season!!!

Attached Files:

2. It looks quite useful. I'm glad you found something that will help you. Thanks for sharing.

3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

This is really cool! Thank you posting about it.

While my back doesn't currently hurt, I really should be trying to be easy on it. I've been told that not only do I have degenerative arthritis, but also osteoporosis, in my spine. I'm sure I will eventually do it damage lifting these bed ends with it.

My husband has arthritis in his back as well.

We have been to the dark side in a TT and Class C and have returned to a PUP. It's my favorite camping style and I don't want to ever be forced to give it up.

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Looks good. I'm not there yet but I do have some pending problems. Pinched nerve in c3-c4 which manifests with pain in the left or right arm and sometimes in lower back.
    My son, 38 years and strong as a horse can do this for me but I like to do this myself. My wife says I'm a "Capa tosta " For non-Italians I'll let you look that up.

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

That's why we need these. We are not there yet and don't want to be there. I'm ordering one to save my back. Looking for the best deal right now.

If your 38 year old son is not available, then you would be - according to your wife - #thick headed #blockhead #stubborn #mule headed #hard headed. [LOL] Yeah, not Italian, I had to Google it. Don't kill your back, it's the only one you got! Get a stick!

6. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Mar 3, 2005
    Sadly all the years of abuse I have done to my back has taken it's toll. It gets really stiff if I sit or bend over too long so off to the darkside I went. Can't say that I have regretted the decision but I do miss the pup from time to time.

7. blackbird

blackbird New Member

Jan 8, 2017
    thanks so much for this info! I am going to go looking at this right now! :)

8. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Lincoln County Tennessee
    Good to know I am not the only person with spinal issues impacting their camping. Just bought a new 2018 pup with all bells and whistles and I am still having problems. We are thinking about trading for TT. Maybe your "helping hand " on EBay will help. Thanks for suggestion.

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    It took us trial and error to figure out how to make it easier for me to handle the campers by myself on solo trips. I have to admit that we finally went to a small TT (17' - smaller than some of the larger pups and HTTs). Some helper tools only shifted the stress for me, but should work great for others.

10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Spinal operations is the main reason we decided to go dark, I made something along the same lines using 2 pieces of PVC with holes drilled into them for adjustments. But after my lower back operation that did not seem to be the total answer, a friend drove 75 miles ad spent the night with my DW, so she could assist in closing the unit up next morning after the OP. (I was only in overnite but had limited use for several days. We decided one the way home to go dark that way if anything happened we could just throw the stuff in and sort it out after we got home. This worked great because the next month I had the upper spine done and it worked as we figured it would just back up, hook up and off we went.
    Looks like the item could be really helpful, even without medical problems it is a pain for one person to do the bedding areas. Thanks for the info, good luck and Happy Camping

11. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario