Thinking about a summer rally...

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by Indy, Jan 19, 2015.

Top 3 parks you'd like to see in the running for a summer rally:

1. Palmetto State Park (Gonzales)

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Buescher State Park (there's a swimming pool at Bastrop next door, but Buescher doesn't have the fir

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Inks Lake State Park (Burnet)

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. McKinney Falls State Park (Austin)

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Mustang Island (Corpus Christi)

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. Garner State Park (Concan - great park but pretty far West)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Wolf Creek Park

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  1. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    We had so much fun this weekend and are looking forward to March. We were thinking it might be a good idea to get an early start planning for summer since reservations become more scarce when school is out. Mat and I would really like to be somewhere with water access to cool off in the summer heat, so we started brainstorming. If you'd be up for a summer rally, would you be interested in attending any of these locations? If you have other suggestions, add them in the comments too. I thought a poll might be an easy way to tally results and see the front-runners, but these are just a few off the to of my head to get us started thinking. Add your thoughts!

Mat and I have visited all of these parks and we think they're great.

2. jam0911

jam0911 Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Indy, a summer rally sounds great! I'll talk about inks lake till I'm blue in the face. It's a constant level lake so there has to be no worries about there being water. I already have my trip planned for Fathers Day weekend June 18th-24th. But I'm open for anything if it's in the summer.

3. Txbum

Txbum Pop up, Pop Top, Chill....Ahhhh

Mar 25, 2013
    Indy, have you been to Wolf Creek park near Cold Spring, just above the city of Cleveland?...A real nice park, plenty of water front sites, a marina, putt putt course, small town not too far away. Tall piney woods. Early June .ok...unfortunately I am on call during Father's day weekend....I will anywhere but I don't like traffic in metro areas....My idea of a traffic jam is a herd of cattle on the road...I can wait it out. [LOL]

4. Txbum

Mar 25, 2013
    Indy, question about Mustang Island....where exactly? The state park campsites at the dunes, or at a private rv park?....I might be able to trade my on call....duty week. Beuscher State Park has a small 30 acre fishing lake, excellent walking ,biking paths. A person can bike all the way up to Bastrop State park via the park roads..Yes Bastrop State park has a nice pool, but there is little to no shade....some sites are next to Highway 71 and can be quite noisy . Best sites away from south side of park. Note , very hilly park , if you ride bikes fun going down hill, but a real work out riding up.

5. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Wylie, Texas
    S.txcamper, the problem we have with state parks is we cannot reserve sites that promise us being together as a group. With the COE parks we can all reserve a specific site so we can stay together
    I'm in on a summer rally given drive time of course. Let us know. Sounds like indy got voted to be the next wagon master [:D] tell Matt I'll bring extra fletchings [LOL]

6. jam0911

jam0911 Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Skeeter I hear what your saying, it was great having everyone in the same area. Just wish State Parks allowed it to. Wherever the summer rally is, we will more than likely be there.

7. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Not trying to take over WagonMaster duties, just thought we should start the conversation so we have some time to come up with a plan and get the sites booked. I personally love the amenities at state parks. I think it is easy enough to get at least a couple people side-by-side for a meet-up site or even set up in a day-use area. (Texana was great because it was a former state park, so very similar layout.) State parks also usually have some sort of activities, ranger programs, nature centers, trails, etc.

I have not been to Wolf Creek Park, but would love to. I actually googled it trying to find out if there was any place to swim or cool off in the water, but I didn't find anything. Maybe someone who has been there knows for sure? Brazos Bend is another great park, excellent shady sites, and they WILL reserve areas together for groups .... but no water to cool off in and summer gets hot and humid.

As to Mustang Island - not too sure. Just an idea. We stayed in the state park previously - very small sites, not shady but always breezy. When we were there, though, the beach was so much nicer than Galveston area beaches. Since we will be up north in March, I was trying to think of places that are somewhat central & south for the following rally.

8. Txbum

Mar 25, 2013
    Indy, I nominate you for Wagon Master [:)C]..[{:)], do I have a second???? Seriously, contact Robin (lonestarcamper) she is very familiar with Wolf Creek park. Place to cool off....heck yeah, the Lake...there is have a swim area next to Marina/store. I was there with a Vintage trailer group . I believe Robin has a boat at that Lake. Water front sites, there are a couple of wagon wheel circle sites that could easily fit us all close together. I think this is close to Huntsville....just north of Cleveland , Texas

9. skeetercampsintexas

Jun 26, 2012
    Wylie, Texas
    Second the notion [:D]

10. skeetercampsintexas

Jun 26, 2012
    Wylie, Texas
    We could probably do somewhere around cleveland, it's about 3:45 from us drive time. While I'm out that way I may go visit a soldier of mine in houston.

11. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Wolf Creek Park sounds good - all in favor? Is it near enough to our San Antonio/Austin people?

12. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Ok, a little more research on Wolf Creek Park. Robin and I had talked about this a little, but she's the expert. Here's how it's going to work with reservations...

1. A group of 20 or more can reserve 90 days in advance with deposit paid. (I'm not sure we will get up to 20 by 90 days out).

2. Everyone else can only reserve 60 days out, so sites will go quickly when they become available. I believe Robin said they open up on Monday for the whole week once it is 60 days out. (If you wanted to stay for a longer period through Monday, it gets trickier to keep your site because they roll out for reservations on 2 separate weeks.) Deposit it $20-24 and is non-refundable, but with enough notice you could transfer your stay to another date within the year.

Does everyone think we will be able to meet those guidelines and coordinate efforts to reserve sites next to each other on a particular day as it goes into 60 days? Once summer rolls around and school is out, I'm thinking they will probably be fully booked and the rally wouldn't be an option to stragglers that want to join us. If only some of us get booked in time, those who get booked won't be able to cancel and keep their deposit either.

I'm ok with it - I have a flexible enough job that I can usually make the call or hop online when necessary to reserve. If only a couple of us got in and we needed to cancel or move the rally, it's not a big deal for me to apply my deposit to go another time because it is close to home, but that may not be the case for all. Feedback? Richard, how did y'all handle reservations with the vintage trailer group?

13. Merlin14

Merlin14 Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Stacy and I are interested. It sounds like a nice change from Lake Livingston SP.
    We had such a great time over the weekend.
    Stacy's got a bit of the "fever" now. HOORAY!

BTW, our neighbor called last night to ask Stacy to babysit.
    Stacy almost talked her into a camping trip on the phone.
    Our neighbor got all the details of the rally and a 30 minute detailed rundown of the event.
    She could have sold memberships!

14. Txbum

Mar 25, 2013
    Spread the word, that is what camping is all about, Go Stacie,Go!

15. skeetercampsintexas

Jun 26, 2012
    Wylie, Texas
    What weekend are we considering? I'm hoping for about mid July. With the new job I'd hate to do another 3 day weekend 2.5 months after the spring rally.

Indy is that 20 sites, or 20 people? Do dogs count as people? [LOL]

16. Txbum

Mar 25, 2013
    Katie, I was informed by the organizer of the Vintage Trailer rally, I then made the reservation on line at the on ine site trinityra.org site. ( Trinity river authority) manages the camp grounds. I just received an e-mail stating exactly as you stated....sixty days out. I was /am planning a week long stay June 7 thru 13 may be 14...Jane really likes to fish and enjoys water sports. She knows how to slalom ski. I just like to feed the fish. [LOL]...If the rally is planned later in summer ok by me.....Katie I will PM you the name of lady that host the Vintage Trailer Rally. She is a wonderful person and is married to mayor of Cleveland , Texas. For those interested about Vintage trailers there is a FaceBook page Texas Vintage trailers club.. Txbum

17. tx.glamazon

tx.glamazon New Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Late to the party as usual... Hugh and I really did have a fine time this weekend and are absolutely open to a rally in June/July...just name the date so we can schedule vacation. I second the motion to make sure there is water to play in. Give me a floatie and a tall cold drink, and I'm good for the day. Cleveland is pretty close to Brenham, yes? :)

I think we should try to get onto the "wagon wheel" that has sites 21-30... close to baths, swim area, playground, putt putt golf :)...

I think Katie would make a wonderful WagonMISTRESS!

Sherri

18. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    It's 20 sites required to reserve 90-days out. We have about 6 so far I think, so already enough to make a rally assuming we can agree on a date. I'm open to date suggestions - our schedule is pretty free.

I didn't intend to take over as WagonMaster, y'all. Anyone else want the title? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller.... ?

Mat and I don't mind taking a turn if need be, but we've never been to Wolf Creek.

19. Merlin14

Merlin14 Member

Aug 30, 2014
    I heard that all Bueller calls are being forwarded to Indy.

20. skeetercampsintexas

Jun 26, 2012
    Wylie, Texas
    I think wagon masters should be cycled through our original group. So me and Nic are out seeing as we've got the spring rally. I guess that leaves Matt and Katie in line for the next one [LOL] I think Richard and MJ do so much at the rallies as a good excuse to not have to host [;)] just kidding richard!

I'd personally like to shoot for mid July if possible. I know it'll be hot but that would work best for us I believe.