Thinking about a summer rally...

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by Indy, Jan 19, 2015.

Top 3 parks you'd like to see in the running for a summer rally:

1. Palmetto State Park (Gonzales)

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Buescher State Park (there's a swimming pool at Bastrop next door, but Buescher doesn't have the fir

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Inks Lake State Park (Burnet)

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. McKinney Falls State Park (Austin)

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Mustang Island (Corpus Christi)

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. Garner State Park (Concan - great park but pretty far West)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Wolf Creek Park

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Txbum

Txbum Pop up, Pop Top, Chill....Ahhhh

Mar 25, 2013
    Help, lost something again, at Sweet Heart Rally....I loaned out two extendable campfire marshmallow roasting sticks....I tried to save someone the trouble of having to walk to their campsite to get theirs. Long story short. I have two missing sticks....if anyone mistakenly picked the sticks up and thought they were yours... will you be so kind as to return them? Thank you...Txbum...these are nice sticks dual sliding shafts...and I miss them [:(]

2. Txbum

Txbum Pop up, Pop Top, Chill....Ahhhh

Mar 25, 2013
    Katie , take care of Matt.....hope he feels better soon....there is plenty of time for planning. Txbum

3. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Thanks Txbum. He is in very bad shape and currently in ICU.

We didn't see or use your roasting sticks. Sorry. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Dec 28, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    My thoughts are with you two, Katie. not fun dealing with that [:(]

But I wanted to put a vote in for Goose Island State Park. Waaay better than Mustang Island and closer to most of you guys being just outside of Rockport. There are two parts two the park, the bayfront (close sites, no shade) and the wooded areas (tons of shade and spacious) which are a lot like Lake Texana sites but more trees. Same as the other State Parks, you cant reserve site specific, but the wooded area has always been half vacant in our 3 trips there since everyone fights over the bayfront sites. I would bet my right arm, if I asked them nicely they would allow our first arrival of the group to reserve all the sites we need when they arrive for no extra charge. If not, I could go there myself on thursday or friday early AM and take care of it and you guys can just reimburse me when you arrive. Theres a huge fishing pier where ive seen 50 lb drum being hauled in and fishing along the shore where its hard to keep bait on your hook for the little ones. A couple of trails and a nature center of some sort. blah blah. you can check that out. In town, just 10 minutes away is a really neat by donation area aquarium with tons of tanks and specimens and a pay beach that's really nice. Since its pay (like $5 per car) its very clean. Of course you can go to any of the beaches that are directly on the coast of the Gulf too for free or the cost of a beach parking sticker. Theres also I B Magee County park right behind the dunes in Port Aransas, if we wanted this rally to be more beach bound. Just wanted to throw that in. I havent had a chance to look at wolf creek yet but will today.

Get well Mat!

Edit- Wolf creek is too far for us but doesn't mean we cant have two rallies this summer like we are doing this winter/spring.

5. Ryanincc

Dec 28, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Whoever got one of my blue chairs, in exchange for an Academy blue cheapie chair at the rally, I just wanted to say thanks! The wife is gonna let me get new chairs, FINALLY, that I actually want to sit in HAHA. We've been buying one step above cheapest chair we could find, which has been driving me nuts [LOL] . Camping chairs should be like toilet paper... one of the few things you don't go cheap on. [:D]

6. tx.glamazon

tx.glamazon New Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Hugh and I are praying for you and Mat, Katie... please keep us updated if you can spare a second... we care. And certainly holler if you need help of any kind. You know we can roll on a moment's notice and being our own guest quarters with us :)

Sherri

7. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I am officially bowing out of the rallies for the time being. Mat's condition is not good. The short version: pneumonia, ventilator, sedation, stroke. Yes, he has had a stroke at 39 years old and has complete left side paralysis, head to toe. We will have a long road of rehab and therapy ahead, but first he has to get over the pneumonia.

Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. Our lives have turned on end and camping does not seem like it will be on the agenda for a bit. I do hope we can get back to the things we love and back to a normal life. Only time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. tsubeta04

tsubeta04 New Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Brittany and I send out best wishes for a speedy recovery!

As for the summer rally, we hope to make it depending on how our summer plans shape up.

2012 jayco jay series 1206
    2008 GMC Sierra

9. Merlin14

Merlin14 Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Skeetercampsintexas posted this on the Spring Rally thread.
    For those who may not be getting updates on that thread, here is what he wrote.
    I am sure we all feel the same.

10. Ryanincc

Dec 28, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Thought I might restart this thread. Anybody up for summer camping at Goose Island State Park in Rockport or some beach camping at I.B. Magee Beach Park which is a county park in Port Aransas.

http://www.nuecesbeachparks.com/ibmageebeachpark.html

Mustang Island State Park, about 5 miles from IB Magee, is basically a parking lot behind the dunes. IB Magee has turf and much better restroom facilities that were recently remodeled.

11. tx.glamazon

tx.glamazon New Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Pick a weekend and give us some lead time so we can juggle schedules...

Hugh started a new job as a department manager at Lowe's [MOD] [:D] and doesn't have vacay yet but can get some of his days off lined up to fall across a weekend.... [SUN] [CP]

12. Merlin14

Merlin14 Member

Aug 30, 2014
    We sure had a good time our first rally! Watching for what weekend and if I have to work summer school. BTW, GISP was where we took our pup for shakedown and had 15 unexpected photographer guests for supper.

1999 Palomino Pinto
    2001 Nissan Frontier
    via Tapatalk

13. Ryanincc

Dec 28, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    15? How'd you feed them all, Merlin? You photogs are nuts [emoji6]

At the moment I'm at the pup storage facility. I swapped our new tires and set up the pup. now trying to improve our bed by putting interlocking exercise mats underneath the mattress. $40 try before we spend $200 on some memory foam. Gonna test it out Spring Break at Palmetto State Park. When I get home later, I'll look at the calendar with more detail. I'm thinking Goose Island back in the wooded area with tons of shade would be better for a gathering in Summer. Look at all the shade there!
    [​IMG]

I could even go really early Friday and reserve all our spots.

My phone did this using Tapatalk

14. jam0911

jam0911 Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Definitely watching for the date on this one! It would be Great to be able to catch another rally!

15. Ryanincc

Dec 28, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Im thinking Father's Day weekend. Friday June 19th to 21st, Goose Island. Im being a tiny bit selfish because we already have plans for Memorial Day weekend and I don't like to camp July 4th. Anybody else like that weekend?

16. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Wylie, Texas
    Ryan, looks like you're gonna have to take some of these farther down folks and start a Texas Puppers: South Chapter. I would be interested in the date,but by no means would make Goose Island a 3 or 4 day trip.

17. shfd739

shfd739 Member

Apr 16, 2011
    I'm with Skeeter. That's getting outside the triangle that works for the majority of people. School should be out then as well and that far south makes it too far for some of the central and north Texas folks that would otherwise attend a rally more central.

18. Ryanincc

Dec 28, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I didn't think you north guys would come lol.. I was just going off the vote. I voted once for another CG besides Mustang Island. Didn't realize I could vote more than once.

How about Goliad area then?
    http://www.gbra.org/coletocreekpark/default.aspx

19. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Wylie, Texas
    Is that what you're shooting for ryan is a south chapter rally? If so may I suggest starting a specific thread for it? We may do the same for us north and central folks on another thread. Victoria is still WAY outside the realm of being central to the SA, houston, dallas triangle.

20. Ryanincc

Dec 28, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Ok. For me, I'm limited to about 2.5 possibly 3 hours drive since our almost 2 yr old isn't the greatest traveler. It's a 7 hour drive to the Dallas area from Corpus so I can't even meet a lot of you half way. I'd sure like to though. I'm sure we can before too long. Just need my youngest to grow old enough to stare at a tablet for a extended periods lol. I'll try another thread for a more southern rally and see who bites. DIBS ON FATHER'S DAY WEEKEND HAHA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.