Thinking about Buying an A-Liner

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by rebekahd, Jul 8, 2018.

1. rebekahd

rebekahd New Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Thinking about buying a 2006 A-Liner #1940XL as my husband and I's first camper. We are casual campers and love to travel. Currently we backpack as well as camp in a tent. Eventually we want to do some more long term camping but currently it's just the occasional overnight or 2 nights over the weekend. We are looking for something that keeps us warm in the winter and cool in the summer and able to cook if it's too cold or rainy to cook outside. :) Does anyone have any advice or personally have this camper? They want $5k for it. Good Deal? I'm finding it hard to find info on this camper. Thanks!

2. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    1940 XL ... should be Chalet, not an Aliner. As long as the condition is good, then $5K is a good deal.

3. rebekahd

rebekahd New Member

Jul 8, 2018
    Sorry, I don't know much about it. The actual add for it says Chalet A liner. :) It looks to be in great condition from what I can tell but will go see it in person on Tuesday.

4. shuang2

Apr 20, 2010
    Our camper is 2005 Chalet XL 1940. We had been using it on 5 trips within a year. Both the DW & I love it very much.

5. CivilizedOne

CivilizedOne Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Kentuckiana
    We're new Aliner owners but we like ours a lot and are getting better at using it. The space constraints are a challenge that take getting used to, but it's just time and experience. I think it's a great weekender, but if you want to take longer trips I'm not sure how that would work for you. People do it, I'm just not sure I could. Everyone is different and it will depend on your personal objectives. 5k sounds like a good deal if it's in good shape. Test everything to make sure it works before you close the deal. And check the corners and all over the floor for soft spots that indicate water damage.

Rik Peery likes this.
  6. Lonewolf55

Lonewolf55 Going NoWhereFast

Mar 25, 2015
    Statesville, NC
    If your a Backpacker/ tent camper, you'll love an A-Frame Camper (Aliner, Chalet, Forest River, etc) Just make sure there are no "wrinkles" on any of the inside walls or roofs, check the corners carefully for rot or soft spots, and look at the tires for uneven wear. The only thing that hurts them is getting a leak. A 2006 would normally go for around $5000 in good condition. You will find that one of the first things you will want to do it start modifying it to make it comfortable for you.. Check out my Youtube Channel or my Website https://www.youtube.com/ricks41at
    Lots of info on Aliners and any other Aframe ! Also check out the Aliners Owners Club. TONS of information open to non-members. Only the rally and news is hidden for members only.

7. StlAnnie

StlAnnie New Member

Jan 18, 2018
    You may want to update your signature to “Rick, Dakota, Akela.” :)

8. rebekahd

rebekahd New Member

Jul 8, 2018
    They sold that camper less than 12 hours after it was posted. Tried to go see it 3 hours after they opened today and it was already sold. :(

9. CivilizedOne

CivilizedOne Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Kentuckiana
    It's camping season.... I heard prices are better in the fall and availability goes up too. Stupid me bought new.

10. shuang2

Apr 20, 2010
    At the right time and right person, that's really happen. Back to 2016, because of good deal, I sell my 2007 Fleetwood Sequoia in one day too.

11. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    I got my Aliner at the end of the season. It was a trade in. They posted the ad on Saturday night. They were closed Sunday. I got to the dealer before they opened Monday. The first employee to arrive got the keys to camper & let me in to check it out. In the mean time, the next employee started checking voice mail & there were multiple messages about it. Another potential buyer arrived at the dealer 5 minutes after they officially opened. Two more called to say they were on the way. Holy cow! I bought the trailer & drove home in a bit of a daze wondering, "What have I done?!" lol We've loved it even though it is far from perfect.

12. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Keep looking Rebekah - you'll find one that is right for you!

13. Brian Hovander

Brian Hovander New Member

Sep 4, 2016
    I bought a 2005 Aliner Expedition in 2008. It works well and I have no plans to buy a newer model. I paid $7500 for mine in 2008. It was close to new condition. The extended bumper works well for my mounted generator. Only that style provides a strong extended bumper. I fixed the few factory glitches making it a great trailer. One glitch was the bizarre door lock that allows you to lock yourself out.