Thought on sealing bottom of sideboard

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Solo camper, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Solo camper

Solo camper Member

Apr 23, 2018
    West virginia
    As I am finishing up roof rebuild on my Starcraft I realized that one of the least sealed areas is the bottom of the sideboard that fits down in roof channel. The only thing sealing this is the bead of caulk applied along upper part of metal roof channel and sideboard skin. Any water that should get past this would end up down in channel and spread out from there starting to rot what I just replaced. The outer edge of the metal that the roof seal attaches to is nearly 1.5 inches wide, the part that you see when looking at the side of the roof. I am thinking about using two inch eternabond tape and using the lower edge of the aluminum as a guide for good alignment and running a strip all the way front to back. This would give me enough on the side of sideboard skin for good adhesion. I am approaching 100 hrs in this roof rebuild, replacing everything but front board and hope to build a fortress against water. I known it would not look the best but rotted wood looks worse. Has anyone ever tried this or have any thoughts.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I feel you pain against the enemy! I can't picture what you have going on? Pictures? That always helps!