Time to sell our camper? Maybe we are not ready for this...

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by jcrew6311, Nov 12, 2016.

1. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

Oct 28, 2016
    Gloucester, Virginia
    Good for you! I take my two apartment bound grandsons camping, not because it is easy [EEK], but because I'd like to leave a legacy that would endure long after I'm gone. Much as my family did for me :). There are so many other miserable things kids can get into outside of camping [CP]. Developing an imagination, rather than the digital entertainment feed, will show them that THEY too can be part of REAL LIFE! In the beginning, campgrounds with fun amenities are essential. Then PHYSICAL social engagement that does not involve an iPhone ensues. Soon enough they will take an active roll and lead in the enjoyment of National Parks and beautiful state parks.
    --Heck, I never thought I'd see the day they could successful cast on their own with an open face reel!
    Fishing.jpg
    --As someone else said, you're paying your dues - and it is worth it! :grin:

2. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Buda, TX
    All kids should go camping with "nothing to do" a few times in their life. Children need to learn how to observe birds and bugs and play in the dirt. Boredom sparks imagination and creativity. Mine are 9,7, 5 and 6 months.
    When we camp, the only "toys" we bring are some trucks to play in the dirt, jump rope, balls and art supplies. The rest they do on their own. We will be making some explorer packs with binoculars and such, but our state parks here have them to borrow for the day already.
    Our rule is NO ELECTRONICS while camping. Even I leave my phone in the TV.

I am also a Charlotte Mason homeschooler so we do lots of nature hikes and the kids have to go outside for a minimum of 2 hours daily anyway, but we have a large suburban backyard at least.
    We take the dog sometimes but mostly he stays home with the house-sitter.

momofEAP and BirdsNest like this.
  3. jndrake

jndrake New Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Can you tie the dogs to a tree with shade and a water dish till your set up? Do you bring any kind of pack and play for the baby? Could the toddler stay in the TV with AC and a movie while setting up? These are all things we did and I would fully help my husband set up our pop up so it would be quicker and easier for us both to get to the camping/exploring/playing part with our boys. Set up can be a chore but if you want to keep trying you will learn something from every experience and it will get easier and easier. We camped in our 1970's pop up and started each of our three boys as babies each under a year old. I definitely brought a pack and play for the baby and that made a huge difference! We also had a superyard- 5 sided baby gate that forms an enclosed space, I'd put a blanket down, my littles would play with toys in a safe place while we set up/ packed up and at night we set it around the fire ring for extra safety, it never melted or turned black. Those things really helped us keep enjoying camping. Good Luck :)

4. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Georgia
    Sounds like you are a little less stressed, but as many have pointed out, it takes time. I grew up tent camping, DW grew up RV'ing:grin:. After DW and I got hitched, let the camping begin!! Started out packing the '62 Willys Jeep and headin' to the Mountains - yes, everything we took fit in the little Jeep and we would camp for 4-6 days without heading back to civilization.

Then we had DS #1, so graduated to a '97 Jeep, but still everything had to fit on/in the Jeep. We also started camping with DS before he turned 1.

Pix when DS was 5 - getting ready to leave for a 5 day trip.

2006-07_camping-001.jpg

2006-07_camping-002.jpg

Then 7 years after DS #1, DS 2 came along and we still took the Jeep - and had to pack everything in/on it. Graduated to our popup when DS #2 was about 2 and recently graduated to a 28ft TT.

DW would only go camping if I did EVERYTHING, so I did (planning, shopping, packing, cleaning, cooking, etc...). At times it was difficult, but it was also my choice and so I chose to enjoy despite the work.

Now that my DS' are 10 and 17, they absolutely LOVE camping. It is part of our life style, but it took time. Not every trip was perfect, but everyone learned together, so now it is much better. DS#2 loves to help with all the setup - it's awesome. DS#1 is a teenager, so he kinda hides - you know, Mom and Dad are no longer cool.

Hope it all gets better for you - enjoy the journey, not just the destination:)

As for the Big Buddy, yep used it all the time once we got the popup. We had the one that held 2 cylinders, would burn through both in one night if it was really cold (Snow). It came with a quick disconnect so I would connect it to the 20lbs unit up front. Never worried about it with any of the kids or the dog (Shepherd/Lab mix).

Oh and here is DS#2 on his first trip
    2008-08_camping-08.jpg

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    Tracy D. likes this.
  5. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Iowa
    Not all dogs are good camping dogs. My first dog was 12 years old when I started tent camping. He really didn't care about anything but a shady place to nap all day and suppertime. He made for an excellent companion on camping trips. If I left the campsite to go hiking, he crawled into his kennel and took another nap. He's hard to see in this picture, laying under the picnic table.

[​IMG]

My second dog I got as a rescued 2-year old puppy and he wasn't a good camping dog until he was about 5 or 6 years old. It took a long time to get him past the wanting to chase other dogs and kids phase and to settle down on command. The first couple times out as a puppy he was running all over the place getting his tie-out caught on everything and knocking over chairs and people... as you put it, a real nightmare! Until he got older I and could bring him along he stayed at home or with a family friend and didn't get to go. Later, when I could bring him along I could keep him off-leash as he would not leave the site without permission and was much calmer. (Moral of the story--excellent training!). On the rare occasion a ranger noticed him off leash and said something (as I said, he didn't leave the site without permission), I could still put him on the tie-out and he wouldn't get tangled every 15 seconds. He would go along on hikes, etc and was a good camping companion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  6. Miller

Miller '96 ColemanCheyenne - '14 Tacoma 4X4 DBL SR5 6spd

Dec 15, 2015
    CT
    JCREW6311

Great job!! I am glad to read your post(#45), and that camping and popups have remained, experiences and preparing have improved, as well as personal goals and expectations may change and vary each trip...YOU UPGRADED!!

My two cents, a dad with two DS's 5 & 7 now, and we are currently Camping in our pup, in the pouring rain, with our girl(dog) Abbie on the Cold River in Mohawk State Forest...
    I am super stoked you hung in there!
    Camping with the family is awesome yet never perfect, but will always be perfect as memories!!!

I think; post #17 by werjulian & post #28 by sawdusty
    Summize my feelings best for your OP.
    Great to have read you are still camping, upgraded and looking forward to taking them in the woods!!!

[​IMG]

7. Heilman_5

Heilman_5 New Member

Sep 25, 2017
    i got kids and tried taking everything I "needed" finally I said to the wife we don't need everything we take.
    Camp in the backyard/driveway. Kids will love it, plug in, carry two propane tanks (one in use one full). A protablebed side to prevent kids from falling out and the table bed makes a good crib.

Leave the dogs at home until you get the kids use to camping.

Keep going kids love this stuff, I have my little gilrl in a tree stand with me and she does home work there. Just do what you can to make it work. Don't fight with the wife, and remember KISS.

DJS12354 likes this.
  8. kmbarreiros

kmbarreiros New Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Fairhaven, MA
    Another idea of stuff to do is fishing. I have a 4,6 and 8 year old.
    I give them all fishing poles with a bobbin, weight, and a fake worm tied to the end and they will cast for awhile.
    I just started putting a hook on the 8 year old's fishing pole.
    And if the campsite area is big enough they can just practice casting on the grass. My middle child spent a good 2 hours just practicing his cast. Then they would compete to see who could cast the farthest and then my oldest would help the youngest cast.

Normally the only toys I bring at the big metal tonka trucks and they could play in the dirt all day long.

9. JHOP

JHOP New Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Ya know, we took our 4, turning 5 year old camping for the first time last year. It was the most miserable when we were setting up and she was BORED. We made her find things to do but even then, it was excruciating: M, please get sticks for the campfire. She would bring back the tiniest little twigs. About 4 of them. And she was done. We're working on that. :)

We also took our 2 dogs camping with us once, same problem you had. We quit taking the dogs. They peed in the tent, wrapped themselves up in the leads and barked at every little sound. They don't go anymore.

We had a family camp next to us that had very young kids and babies. They pitched their tents at 8pm and were gone by 7am. [XX(]

I say, give it time. Try, try again. Next time, go prepared for fixing the things that went wrong the first time.