Tire covers or full camper cover

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by MyName, Jan 9, 2019.

1. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    Do you guys but and use tire covers for your tires when you store it? What about a full camper cover? I store my trailer outside in southern CA.

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Absolutely, yes. My pup is stored inside in the winter and outside in the summer. The only time the covers aren't on the tires is when I am using the pup.

3. BikeNFish

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Forgot the second part of your question. I use THIS type of cover, winter and summer.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    I just use tire covers.

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Unless the tires are moving I use my tire covers, also do not forget the spare tire. I do not use a cover and mine stays out all the time. I also use tire covers on all my trailers as they normally sit more than the TT.

6. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Yes to tire covers on my TT. No on the boat and utility trailers.

7. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    I can see why you would want to cover the tires and the camper. That hot CA Sun can do some damage. Just make sure the camper cover is a breathable material.

I put tire covers on the this fall, all three and then a larger one to cover the back-pack on the spare.

2018-10-02 15.01.15.jpg
    2018-10-21 13.35.08-1.jpg

8. LucythePUP

LucythePUP New Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Maryland
    I'm curious if there is an advantage to covering the tires when the pup is stored inside, or if it's more of a habit and sticking to a routine. My pup is garaged for the winter and I haven't really considered covering the tires, but that may change based on responses here. Thanks.

9. BikeNFish

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    No advantage that I can think of other than I won't lose the tire covers by keeping them with the pup. I also own a boat that I store indoors year round when I'm not using it. I do not cover the tires on that trailer.

It is the sun's UV rays that destroy the tires. If sunlight hits the tires, cover them.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    LucythePUP likes this.
  10. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    I stoped using them decades ago. I read that the big tires companies had begun adding uv protection to tires rubber mixture. Before that I would see the tire rot on my cars that sat outside. Since I had not noticed on my cars that are parked outside having any rot issue until maybe 10 years. Not sure if this the right approch or if this is true for the small tire companies??

11. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    I use ADCO classic camper cover which is breathable. If a tarp is used, the heat will build up on roof and cause cracks on roof. I store popup in Ventura where the sun is 100% on camper and the cover also cover most of the tires. The popup is at storage and a huge pick up truck and tall camper help keep sun from shining on my tires at their expenses! No need for cover for my tires.

12. MyName

MyName Active Member

Jan 12, 2018
    Ca
    Thank you all. I will add Tire covers to my shopping list.