TireMinders

Discussion in 'Road Safety Systems' started by Hoomi, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

Jul 20, 2012
    After suffering three shredded flat tires on the P'up in a relatively short time, I broke down and bought a TireMinder system. We had little problem with flats when we were using the Pathfinder as our TV, but the Sequoia has a wider wheelbase, and I think the problem is, the rear wheels of the Sequoia line up pretty well with the wheels on the P'up, so if the tire on the TV kicks up a nail or other sharp object, it has a higher chance of hitting the P'up tire.

The problem was that it was hard to tell when a tire was going low, until it went flat. With the Tireminder, we have a small LCD screen in the TV, which shows each tire with the Tireminder sending unit attached (the sending units screw onto the stem, and do not require dismounting the tire from the rim). The readout shows the current air pressure and temperature of each tire, which also will show if one wheel is running unusually hot, possibly indicating a bad wheel bearing. You can program pressure limits, and if a tire goes outside the limits, the unit will give an alert.

The sending units are battery operated and motion-activated, with user replaceable batteries. The display unit is USB rechargeable, and can also be hooked up to a USB adapter in the TV for long trips, so battery life won't be an issue.

The Tireminder system isn't cheap, but it's a lot less than we've had to pay to replace tires without it.

https://www.minderresearch.com/tireminder/

JPBar, Haybale, WVhillbilly and 2 others like this.
  2. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    That’s quite an elaborate system but I’m not getting it, I don’t think. It seems to me that basically, you get to watch them go flat. Wouldn’t mud flaps on the TV been cheaper? I’ve seen the EEZ system which is similar to what you linked but less money and still, you just get to know sooneR it’s flat. Seems like avoidance of the issue would be better?

3. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

Jul 20, 2012
    Yep, avoiding flats in the first place is better, but since we cannot predict when some piece of road debris is going to put the hole in the tire, nor can we predict whether a mudflap would prevent it, knowing the tire is going low allows me to pull over BEFORE it's damaged beyond repair.

If the tire drops from 45PSI to 35PSI in the space of a few miles, it's a good indication I have a leak, but at 35 PSI, the tire is still inflated enough that it shouldn't have been damaged by being run flat yet. The last few times we replaced a tire on the P'up, it's been in the $80 - $100 range. I bought my Tireminder system on Amazon for about $100, with four sending units.

Obviously, everyone is free to approach the issue in what ever manner they prefer. I posted this because this system works well for us, and if others were wondering about this kind of system, they can read my perceptions of it.

4. CampStewart

CampStewart Member

Nov 3, 2017
    I think the idea has a lot of merit. If you get a flat on your TV you can usually feel it getting mushy and for sure know when it gets flat. If you have a heavy TV and a light trailer you could easily drive until the rim is ground down to nothing before you notice. The track width of every vehicle you drive is about the same front to rear and you probably aren't getting lots of rear tire flats. I doubt that the flats are because the TV is kicking up debris unless you are driving off the shoulder all the time. I have read that most trailer flats are due to under inflation and this system may largely solve that problem. Being able to monitor the tire temp can give you early warning of tread separation and wheel bearing issues.

BelchFire and myride like this.