To cover or not...

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by jschway, Nov 4, 2016.

1. jschway

jschway Member

Apr 28, 2016
    Amazon has some pop up covers from $45 - $189...

What am I looking for?
    Do I even need a cover?

Im in the south.. Low snow, high heat.
    No shade because I have small trees.

Thanks

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Like most things, some people swear by them and others say don't do it. You'll never going to get a straight answer on this one.

My personal opinion is they are a waste of money. It's kind a of like wearing a raincoat in the shower.

But there are many factors involved which I'm sure others will point out.

3. thethird152

thethird152 Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Durham, NC
    I'm in the south too, and I'd be far more willing to use a cover to help with UV exposure than for keeping water at bay.

As Steve pointed out, there are plenty of opinions, and no clear right or wrong answer.

If I had to say there was one specific thing you were looking for, I'd definitely say breathability. You do not want to trap moisture between the cover and your camper.

Our is garage-kept now, but when we stored it outside in NC it always had the cover on it, and it always had at least one large tub of damp rid inside (at least through the humid months). I know others that live nearby that do neither of those things and have never had a problem though - I'm just relatively risk-averse :)

I wouldn't go so far as to say you need one, but for me it was a relatively inexpensive insurance policy (we caught it on a good sale).

4. davido

davido Member

Jul 17, 2014
    If you get a decent quality cover -- one that breathes, but that is sturdy and keeps water build-up off the RV while protecting it from UV, ice, dust, dirt, grime, and even mild tampering, it will keep your trailer looking new for many years to come.

What are the cons? Price, inconvenience, unsightliness.

5. Kb2yht

Kb2yht New Member

Nov 28, 2015
    When was in MO and parked out in the open, I never felt the need for a cover, now I'm AR and with overhanging trees and moss and lichen I use one and love it.

For me it was about where I was parking the pup.

6. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Feb 28, 2016
    Illinois
    I finally broke down and got an $80.00 breathable cover off of amazon. The pop up will be under trees and I'm opting for a bit of coverage for her. All the covers have poor ratings including the $200.00 ones.

7. Tiguan Tow R

Tiguan Tow R New Member

Oct 9, 2016
    We went with a breathable cover and just put it on today, in spite of some of the negative reviews on line. We took all the precautions to cover sharp edges on the trailer. We do get snow - hopefully it lasts. As an aside, I noticed 4 other PUPs in the storage yard with plastic tarps tied over the top - a "no no" based on many comments on this site and others ( unless you have a leaky roof).

8. Hockeybjj

Hockeybjj Member

Jul 11, 2017
  9. kcsa75

kcsa75 Active Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    If it were me, I would cover it. Not going to do you any good in a hail storm, and from what I understand, a breathable cover will still let moisture through. But it will keep the sun off, which is a good thing.

I keep my Pup in a boat storage barn with a gravel floor that I share with 11 others. I cover the Pup just to keep the dust off.

10. Ruikee

Ruikee New Member

Jun 20, 2017
    Which one did you get?

11. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Feb 28, 2016
    Illinois
    PolyPro 3, Amazon still has it for $88. After a mild midwest winter and on and off use this spring and summer it is in great condition.
    I initially put it on at the end of November and did not open it until January. I found the pop up to be damp, and was worried about it getting moldy. So I added pool noodles to the top under the cover to aide in ventilation and did not tie it down as tightly. This worked well and I found no further moisture in the pup.
    I also pad the corners of the frame to prevent holes from developing.

12. Jo Chrisman

Jo Chrisman New Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Kansas City, MO
    Oh I didn't even think about putting the pool noodles to ventilate the cover. I just bought a cover for mine and have had it on there for about a week and 1/2 and we have had a ton of rain. I'm in Missouri so we also have high humidity. This will be a learning experience for me for sure. I'm hoping I don't have mold and mildew already!

13. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I do not cover our TT. I just uncovered our MH and when I removed the cover we had to run, hornets had built a nest under it, I used 3 cans of wasp /hornet spray to get rid of them..