To cover or not...

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by jschway, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Found a great cover made by Budge for my new to me 04 Starcraft. Less than 70 bucks and appears to be made of Tyvek. With roof top air it provides plenty of air space between the camper. Living in a pine forest I'm trying to keep out sap and pine needles that can find their way into stuff. We'll see how this one holds up and I plan to open up the camper regularly to inspect and dry out. My camper has always been installed inside storage from previous owners as I'm planning on building a metal roof over it and will probably always keep it covered to keep clean. IMG_20180505_174936839_HDR.jpg IMG_20180505_174936839_HDR.jpg IMG_20180505_175205088_HDR.jpg

2. Earthfairies

Earthfairies Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    That one is very similar to the one I have. I used it to cover my trailer all winter and it was perfect. No issues with moisture underneath but the good side was that the top was totally clean this spring. Love it.

3. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Biggest issue I have is UV sun rot. I have tried a couple of car and RV covers over the years and I am lucky if I get a year out of them. The TX sun just eats them up. Haven't found one that lasts yet.

4. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Usually, we store the trailer at our garage, no cover needed. However, if weather condition good, we put the trailer in front of the garage at "UP" all the time, still never considered to cover it.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  5. cam_1100

cam_1100 New Member

May 10, 2018
    Rochester, MN
    We are going to be storing ours outdoors in a nearby storage yard during the camping season. I'm planning to use a cover primarily to protect from UV; keeping off rain and debris is a bonus.

I've got a bike rack on it and I'm debating about leaving the bars on or taking them off. My concern is the bars create a pressure point that may wear out the cover more quickly. One idea is pool noodles on the bars and tennis balls cut to fit over the bar ends to at least soften the edges.

For winter, we'll be storing it at my in-laws farm, hopefully in a barn/shed. In that case I won't cover. My main concern there is keeping out critters....