Tongue Extensions? Anyone Try?

Discussion in 'Etrailer.com Trailers and Towing Forum' started by XKPin, Apr 29, 2018.

1. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

It's easy, you just back the rear TV tires on blocks. I saw a Airstream/Acura MDX combo leveled this way.

2. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

I guess that would work. I think for the sake of about 5 minutes I would rather just unhook and then re-hook to leave. Heck, that's the quick part of set-up/take-down with a pup.
    Just keep the wheel straight and pull the tv away......then straight back again in the morning so alignment isn't a problem.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Probably similar to how folks who dont disconnect their TT for a single night stop over in a campground do... level the TT and the rear of the TV at the same time.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

That's how I usually did overnights with the pups,if I had to run errands once set up, I just had to line it up again. I can hook up the TT just fine, but I have to admit one of the first things that won me over to the TT was not having to unhook for overnights, especially on solo trips. Not unhooking and reconnecting is less stress on my hands and bad shoulders. (Using the stack of Lynx blocks under the tongue jack has reduced the number of cranks the tongue jack requires, though.) It's also much nicer in bad weather.

durhamcamper likes this.
  5. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

FANTASTIC! I'm going to put these recommendations to the test - next trip! Thanks everyone.
    --Had a little glitch :confused: enter the camping equation so those quick disconnects will not be necessary this trip: The air handler in the attic failed (no, I got that covered; but thanks anyway [LOL]). So to avoid cancelling the trip due to depleted funds, and lose those coveted Yellowstone campground reservations, we're cutting the trip down from 23-days to 13-days. Here's my 'hurry up-cover the distance' travel plan ([!]DISCLAIMER: don't try this yourself[!]):
    1. Staying on the interstates :mad::eek:.
    2. Stop at Rest Stops [PP] that are well lit and grab a catnap and picnic as needed (yeah, I really do use the grills [BBQ] at these rest stops - & there's never any crowd).
    3. Two days o_O & 1700-miles to get to the Badlands. Stop & smell the sagebrush and [SNZ] relax for two nites.
    4. Take a deep breath - drive 550-miles to Canyon Village Yellowstone. Stay a week [Guitar].
    5. Hunger to stay longer!

I can already see your faces :eek: from my candid [8] remarks.
    --Now I know you're all concerned for my welfare and for those surrounding me - & appropriately so. For those of you which might find this horrifying (and I'm anticipating a few less-than-encouraging replies for my candor), but check into the IBA (Iron Butt Association https://www.ironbutt.org). I learned a lot as a member of this international motorcycling club regarding safe driving practices. This is a safety :shocked: - yep, I said safety :cool: LONG DISTANCE motorcycle club. Check it out. They address everything from issues facing the chronologically enhanced individual, visibility issues, fatigue (no, not thru drug enhancement [LOL]), etc. It also means that you STOP when you must so that you do NOT endangering anyone. Any of you belong?
    --Anyway, the worst part of my modified trip means that I'll miss a lot of what America has to offer in between home and my destination. Next time will be different. . . .
    --But I do covet everyones' sage advice and I shall put it into practice in the near future. Thanks again everyone :).

(I really like those picture things, can you tell?)

6. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

The first leg is tuff but in the Truckers World with 2 drivers Thats a 35-40 hour run. Do you have a Co pilot?

7. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

. . .sometimes. . . .

8. Don Krohn

Don Krohn New Member

I regularly use a hitch extension draw bar when pulling a 2400 lb loaded a-frame pop up. The extension enables me to lower tailgate on Nissan Frontier and get stuff in or out while hitched. It also allows better clearance over pop up for kayak in truck while resting on tailgate. Haven't noticed any problems with sway, but rarely tow over 65 mph. Don't worry too much about any additional hitch weight since my loaded hitch weight is about 320 lbs and max capacity of truck hitch is 6-650 lbs. Without measuring, I would guess extension is maybe only 8 inches longer than normal draw bar.

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Many of those extensions lower the vehicles tow rating and tongue weight ratings by as much as 50% ..

10. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

For clarity, especially for newbies reading this, the OP asked about "trailer tongue extensions" but AFAIK there's no such thing. Rather, what the OP is talking about are extended length drawbars which when mounted in the TV's hitch receiver simply set the trailer further back from the TV than otherwise would be the case with a standard length drawbar. And yes, these extended length drawbars do reduce the TV's hitch rating by as much as 50% so caution is called for in their use.

11. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

This trailer has a custom tongue that allows use of this type of extension and is clearly not what the OP was talking about, nor is this type of tongue used on any mass produced popup. A quick search shows this is in fact a custom boat trailer manufactured by Loadmaster Trailer Company in Port Clinton, Ohio.

http://www.loadmastertrailerco.com/

Read the OP's original post and you'll see the included attachment clearly shows he was talking about an extended drawbar. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 12:19 PM
  13. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I agree but he could go to a good welder and lengthen the trailer tongue. Probably would not cost too much.

14. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I've thought about the hitch extension, so I can open the truck tailgate while the camper is connected. It's common sense! If the "designers" actually used what they designed, the camper tongue would be long enough to avoid the tailgate.

You can find many sailboat (full keel) trailers with long tongue extenders, so they are common in different industries. Maybe if you need to get the PUP on the other side of the creek and keep the tow vehicle on this side.