Tongue storage

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by arge, Feb 2, 2019.

1. arge

arge New Member

Feb 27, 2018
    I got two 20# propane tanks and I found them overkill for my needs. One tank is more than enough. Eventually, down on the road, I can put there a 30# which I already have.
    I am looking to replace one of the tanks with some sort of box or with a blue 10gal plastic drum. Using it for storage (chocks, cords, tarps etc).
    I can make a box from plywood to fit there, but the lightness of a plastic drum (4lbs or so) is attractive.
    Any other ideas?

2. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    I've never seen a 30# propane tank used on a pup. I'm not sure if it's too tall to extend the bed over, or perhaps it's mounting it securely for travel. Just something to consider......

3. arge

arge New Member

Feb 27, 2018
    I have to check the clearance for beds, but securing the tank is not an issue. I can use the existing system and I just need to extend the existing threaded rod or just replacing entirely to fit the height of the tank. this is part of the dual tank setup and I intent to use it in future (securing also the box/barrel on the other side).
    I will have also a steel plate inside of the box/barrel and bolts through at the bottom).

4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Whatever you end up doing, make sure that the single propane tank is centered on the tongue.

And have you tried removing that 30# tank with the bunkend extended?

nineoaks2004 and arge like this.
  5. arge

arge New Member

Feb 27, 2018
    I would like to think there is no need to remove the tank while the beds are extended. Do you think about this as a safety issue?
    Having the tank centered on the tongue would mess up with my plans... I was considering to leave that one in place and just replace the second one with a box/barrel
    Balance issues?

6. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Is the blue barrel weather tight? If not, it may need to have a drain. If 30# tank and barrel are mounted side by side on the tongue center line, weight distribution should not be a big issue.

7. arge

arge New Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Side by side I am thinking. The barrel is water tight, metal clamp on lid. You can find them in the camping stores, used for canoeing, expeditions etc.
    Anyway, I will make some holes at the bottom, to have it secured to the tongue as I described above, with a steel plate and bolts.
    If I am not wrong, a full 20# tank is around twice as weight.
    The barrel thing, including the stuff that I will put in, should not be over 20#.

8. davido

davido Active Member

Jul 17, 2014
    Not a safety issue, a convenience issue.

The reason to have two tanks is so that you can put one in service, and when it runs out, flip over to the other one, while taking the first to be refilled. Or, top up both at the start of season. Use tank one every trip until it runs out, then switch over to tank two. Once you get back home, refill tank one, but keep using tank two. Eventually tank two will run down. You'll switch to tank one, and after arriving back at home, refill tank two. ..and on and on.

The idea is that you don't have to refill before each trip. Just keep using the "in service" tank until it is empty. You've got the second tank to carry you through the remainder of the trip, and you can refill the empty one once you're comfortably back home.

If you have a single tank, you don't quite have the same luxury. You can either top off before each trip, or you can remove the tank during a trip if it runs out, and take it to be refilled. If you have to do this, you'll find it's more convenient to remove it if you don't have to stow away the bunk first. So, while a 30# tank will let you last longer between refills, it may be harder to remove if you run out mid-trip.

9. arge

arge New Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Yes, is true, but in my case I prefer to deal with the refill between the trips every other trip or so, if required, but I am guesstimate that one 20# is enough for a full season. I am a weekender.
    I use propane for coffee in the morning, some light cooking for breakfast and eventually for the waterheater if I will be able to turn it on.
    I avoid the furnace as it is noisy and an electric baseboard heater is coming handy. The camps must have electric as I am camping with small kids.

10. arge

arge New Member

Feb 27, 2018
    At the end of the day, the tanks (I have a plenty) can stay at home full. A quick swap before heading out and the partial empty one can go to bbq
    Just trying do not carry unnecessary weight and also I badly need some extra storage

11. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    I put a storage box on the tongue of my first pup. It was supposedly water tight, but I found that after a day of driving in the rain, I’d have water in it.

I would leave the two tanks, especially since you may use the water heater in the future. While one tank is enough in the summer, you may find that in the fall you want the furnace too. A furnace sucks propane. Just my two cents...

12. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
    Any camper we've owned I've always first bolted a plywood base to the A frame which in turn allowed me to mount whatever I wanted wherever I wanted it. In the case of our 2000 Santa Fe that was a 20 lb propane tank, beside it a plastic tool box sized to hold a G27 battery, and in front of those a larger storage box that also housed my fresh water transfer pump. It's just a matter of finding the right size of plastic boxes.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Y0tiYWFzQl8xdGRCRmwwOV90TXBtYlpOZHdRc3VB

13. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    I would think any minor imbalance caused by a single 20# or even 30# tank on one side of a dual tank rig would be outweighed by the benefit of the reduction of tongue weight that far forward of the axle. The tank isn't all that far from the centerline of travel, so it's not going to cause a large moment due to the small moment arm.

Personally I like the bucket idea for throwing chocks and outside stuff in, and I think it would work great. I thought about putting 30# tanks on my PUP, and IIRC, there was plenty of headspace even with the bunks out, but YMMV.

14. arge

arge New Member

Feb 27, 2018
    I have the power lift and the battery in the front of the propane cylinders.
    Removing a tank will be the only way to get more space there
    also, regarding the imbalance, I am guessing that the weight difference between and empty tank and a full one, both being on tongue, and the case of having only one tank and a barrel/box should be similar.
    I mean, when you have 2 tanks, one full, one empty, you have there 15-18 lbs difference between the tanks

15. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
    Location of the propane tanks, whether empty or full, whether 20 lb or 30 lb won't have any bearing at all on how the trailer handles. The closer the tank(s) are to the coupler the greater the effect on tongue weight, the further back the tank(s) are the lesser the effect. Locate the tank(s) where you prefer.

FWIW, I at one time mounted two 20 lb tanks on our Santa Fe but later removed one of them as I found I was dragging around the second tank for no reason at all. I also had considered mounting a 30 lb tank just for the extra capacity but again there was no need so I never bothered, one 20 lb served our needs just fine.

arge likes this.
  16. arge

arge New Member

Feb 27, 2018
    I may go with a home made box. I can get more useful cu in in this way, and maybe I will relocate the battery too (I know, holes etc). the battery is sitting know on top of the power lift, it is pretty much on the coupler