top of car campers?

Discussion in 'Off The Wall Campers' started by bob barnes, Mar 31, 2017.

1. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    While in Europe we saw many campers that were installed on top of a car. quite a ladder to get to the camper we saw many old people using them.

couldn't believe it!!

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    IIRC bearman512 has one for off-road trips they can't take the camper on. We actually see various top of vehicle set-ups regularly. One of the rental RV places has a model with the bed on top. (Juicy is the outfit, the rentals seem to be purple and acid green.)

3. AzJeff

AzJeff New Member

Jun 10, 2018
    northern Arizona
    They're becoming a thing here. Called RTTs (roof top tents), the overlanding crowd loves them.

4. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Active Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    Yea, I looked at them. Nice, especially if you're going somewhere that you don't want to tow even a small camper.
    Nice ones are $3500 or so, cost you 1-2 mpg when mounted and would be a pain to install/remove when not using them.

5. Overland

Overland Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa
    I owned an RTT for years, while extremely comfortable to me when I needed to get away from a ground tent (back issues), I found it a pita if I wanted to leave camp for the day.

Taking a drive for the scenery, heading to the local watering hole or needing other supplies had ya tear down camp and set back up to crash for the evening.

I wasn't alone in that, many opted to mount the RTT to a small trailer such as a Military M416 etc. Then your still living around the trailer, not inside if ya need to get out of weather. This is what led me to find a small pop up, and still be able to enjoy the Jeep lifestyle the way it was meant to be.

Theres a lot of Chinese knock off's out there anymore.. the better quality heavy canvas RTT's are pricey. Cheaper RTT's with typical tent fabric often fail.. plenty of reviews out there.

6. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Active Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    If I buy one I'll get an Alu Cab.
    It'll probably be mounted on a small trailer though as I don't want it on top the 4Runner.

Overland likes this.