Torsion Lift Help

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Cwilems, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Cwilems

Cwilems New Member

Looking for help getting the right parts. We just bought a 2010 Starcraft 1224 pop up. I had quite the experience trying to get it into our garage the first time due to the steep slope of the driveway. I need to increase the ground clearance, but I’m not sure the best way to go about it. I crawled under the trailer tonight and know we have a torsion axle, but I can’t find any information on the axle about it’s rating. The GVWR on the trailer in 3450 lbs. Any help would be appreciated.

2. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

On the back of the axle there should be an identifying number that is the axle number. If it is a dexter torsion axle (assume it is), then there are lift are lift spacer its that will raise the camper height up from the axle some. They are relatively simple bolt on affairs, but you will need to be able to jack up the camper. You will probably have to call Dexter and talk with a customer service person t get the details.

3. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I had the same issue. The rear of the trailer would scrape coming up the drive. I installed a lift kit on two of my trailers with torsion springs. As mentioned back center of the axle should be a SN stamped into the steel. With that number you can contact dexter and they can sell you a lift kit. For my two trailers the kits are 2 hitch square tubes (2 or 2.5")with holes drilled through them and 4 new bolts that are longer then the ones installed throuhg the frame and the axle. The tube is nothen more then a spacer.

Or you can make your own lift kit. I did that for one of my trailers. Went to a hitch shop and had them cut sone tube and drill the holes which is the most critical to have them drill by a press so they go straight through the tube. Went to the hardware store and bought new longer grade 8 bolts.

Installing the kit took about an hour. On one trailer's the manufacture tack welded and bolted the axle the other it was just bolted. The tack weld I just cut off with ab angle grinder. I did spend about 1/2 hour preparing the surface steel brush and primer and paint.

4. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

5. Cwilems

Cwilems New Member

I ended up using a 2 5/8” torlift kit. Now I’m trying to decide what size wheels and tires to put on. I currently have 185/80-13. Trying to figure out how much bigger I can go. Thinking 205/75-14.