Tow Vehicle Recommendations

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by coors06, Oct 27, 2017.

1. coors06

coors06 New Member

Dec 18, 2012
    So my long standing relationship with my 2003 Toyota 4runner has come to an end. In the market for a new tow vehicle and I'm ALL over the place since this was a sudden "I need a new car" situation. Mind telling me what you LOVE towing with and if you've HATED towing with something? Cautiously thinking about the Acadia but feeling it may be underpowered for 2,700 pounds of Coleman Fairview love.

2. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    Love my Tacoma 2015 4.0 but that might not be the vehicle for you.
    What are your expectations and life style ?

I would avoid the 3.5 motors in most vehicles unless they are made for towing.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Whatever you choose, don't under power it! If you think it may be under-powered, IT IS!

NMroamer likes this.
  4. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

Apr 15, 2007
    North Carolina
    Our new F150 is the best new "car" I've had. Just happens to also be a good occasional tow vehicle.

kcsa75 and upstate family like this.
  5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Start with your trailers GVWR, add the weights of any humans, pets and cargo that you pack into your vehicle and look for a vehicle that can handle THAT weight..

I wonder how long until this thread turns into a pissing match about manufacture and van V.S. truck ??

WunFiddy likes this.
  6. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Syracuse, NY
    Most SUV's with factory tow packages and a decent 6 cylinder engine will tow your pup fine. If you have any ideas of going to a TT or HTT in the future, a full size pickup or full size suv will be a better TV for the future. Beyond the pulling capability of the tow vehicle, the payload capacity is most often the limiting factor (agree with Snow's comment). That is where a truck or full size suv will have an advantage - payload capacity. Plus the longer wheelbase helps against sway.

7. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Perry, MI
    I use a V8 F150 as a TV. I've used an Explorer ('04 3.5) also, but it knew the camper was back there. We have friends that towed a Fleetwood/Coleman Mesa with a Flex with good results.

8. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

May 19, 2010
    With a tow package isn't the Acadia rated to tow 5,000 ( or more) ?
    Should be good to go or consider a Jeep Grand Cherokee

9. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    I stopped giving advice on a tow vehicle since everyone's situation and experience is different. Let them do the research on what they need for towing and load capability, then on number of passengers, then the brands they like, and go from there.

Fbird and JPBar like this.
  10. DigitalGuru

DigitalGuru Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Michigan
    Depends on which Acadia. Pre-2017 versions could tow 5,200lbs. Plenty for your 2,700lb trailer. In 2017 they changed vehicle platforms, so the "Acadia" now only tows 4,000lbs. The 2017 Acadia Limited is the same platform from previous years and still has a towing capacity as the previous years at 5,200lbs. The Acadia limited is basically a 2016 Acadia Denali, top of the line, all the bells and whistles. The DW and I went with the Limited version for the additional towing capacity and it's been great!

11. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Good job! I try to inform newbies to get a TV with tow package...

12. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    I just upgraded my SUV from a 2006 to a 2015 Highlander. Had many disagreements with several Sales people on Towing weights. I don't know why. I was just reading off Toyota's website, and they were pretending they "knew". Kept trying new sales people till I found one that went and looked it up, and he got the sale.

Anyways, do the math. I was actually shocked when reading the manual for my new highlander that there was something like 20 pages on how to correctly calculate all of this information. Then I realized liability probably made them put it all in the manual.

13. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    . Do you mind me asking how many miles you had on your 4 runner and why you felt you have to give it up? I also have a 2003 4 runner and mine is still running strong. The biggest expense I have on it so far was a new catalytic converter. However the age is what is worrisome for me on mine. I just don't know how much longer it is expected to last. With that said I would definitely look for another vehicle that can tow 5000 min. For the weight you are talking about.

14. coors06

coors06 New Member

Dec 18, 2012
    Thanks for the info/advice. I guess I’m just a bit nervous about going from a V8 to V6 even though the 5,000lbs rating on many midsize SUV’s should more than cover my needs.

15. coors06

coors06 New Member

Dec 18, 2012
    I had 188,000 miles on it and had the V8 engine. I really loved my truck! Unfortunately I’m not a fan of the new design and dont have the $$ to shell out on a Sequoia. I’m getting rid of it only because the “brains” that controlled my brake system has failed. I got in one night and an alarm started going off. I shut my truck off and when I turned it back on...no power brakes. The cost of the piece plus repair would be well over $2,000 (long island NY prices). At 14 years old with 188,000 miles I didnt think it was worth the investment. But my engine and transmission are still rock solid. I hope you get many more years out of yours! :)

16. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Unless the frame and body were rotted, I would fix it.

17. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    wha? rotten? Didn't know Toyota makes wooden frame and body. heheheheheh

You probably mean rusted..

18. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Rot for toyota is a great word.

Toyota had a *huge* problem with this on 2000-2010 Tundras, and 2005-2010 Sequioa's and Tacomas. To the point where they replaced frames (on qualifying vehicles).

Funny, I still drive Toyotas I owned an affected Tundra and Tacoma, but my frame did not need to be replaced. But my Brothers did.

19. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Toyota isn't to blame for those bad frames. Dana is and has been held accountable for it.

20. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2013
    Have you spent any time on a good Toyota forum ( I assume there is one...) ? Perhaps you could get out of it much less than your dealer is charging you. A dealer is the last place I would take my own vehicle.