Towing with '16 JK Unlimited?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Dmmcnair, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Dmmcnair

Dmmcnair New Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Texas
    Hi trying to get some information about towing with my 16 JK Unlimited, Auto 4wd. Unfortunately didn't get one with a tow package, so I need to get one. But I just don't have a clue!

Honestly folks, I'm new to owning a Jeep too! My jeep is unmodified. Though I would like to get a lift in the future. We don't have a pop up yet...still doing research. And a lot of the research I've done is contradictory with being able to tow with Jeeps. I can't get a truck. I can't get any other vehicle at the moment. All I have is the jeep. So I need to know what I need to do in order to tow correctly and safely.

Any and all help is appreciated.

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
  3. Winchested

Winchested Member

Jun 19, 2015
    You need to know your payload. It's on a sticker in the door jam. Don't go over it. You will also have a gross combined weight (tow vehicle+ trailer) don't go over it.

You need a class 3/4 receiver installed.

You will likely need a brake controller installed.

Jeeps are not good tow vehicles but if you stay with a pop up in the 2500-3000 lb range you'd likely be fine as long as your weights are good.

You will 100% want a weight distribution hitch with sway control on that short wheel base vehicle.

4. Winchested

Winchested Member

Jun 19, 2015
    https://www.jeep.com/en/jeep-capabilities/towing/#WranglerUnlimited4Tab*

That link shows Jk Unlimiteds with the Max tow package can only tow 3500 lbs max and have a max payload of a possible 1220 lbs. (yours may not have this).

And since yours is not max tow equipped you may not have a bigger rad or bigger trans cooler etc to handle the towing.

Your owners manual and door stickers are the best place to start.

5. Dmmcnair

Dmmcnair New Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Texas
    Let's see...door sticker says...GAWR Front - 2775 lb, Rear - 3200, GVWR - 5400 lbs
    I have two pop ups I'm interested in.
    Jayco Jay Sport 12ud - GVWR - 2600, DHW - 230, UVW - 1885, CCC - 715
    Rockwood 2280 - GVWR - TBD, HW- 289, UVW - 2278, CCC - 1011
    I'm trying to find the GVWR for the Rockwood, but it's not on their website.

6. Winchested

Winchested Member

Jun 19, 2015
    You'd likely be fine towing either. But make sure you get a light duty weight distribution hitch with sway control. And if they are equipped with electric braked axles you will have to get a brake controller installed along with the 7 pin wiring.

7. Dmmcnair

Dmmcnair New Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Texas
    And now you are going into an area I'm totally unfamiliar with....but these can be added?

8. Winchested

Winchested Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Yes they can all be added but you're likely looking at $1000 or so to have it done with labour.

9. Dmmcnair

Dmmcnair New Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Texas
    Holy Jeez!

10. Winchested

Winchested Member

Jun 19, 2015
    Ya that is why it's far better to buy a vehicle ready to tow if you ever plan on it.

11. Dmmcnair

Dmmcnair New Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Texas
    Yup. And I usually do, but getting the dang jeep did something to my head and it didn't even cross my mind! LOL Live and learn.

12. Winchested

Winchested Member

Jun 19, 2015
    I'm sure if you're handy you can install that hitch from etrailer for the cost of buying it and install a 7 pin harness. They are not that hard to do. Even a brake controller like the Prodigy P3 is pretty easy to install.

13. Dmmcnair

Dmmcnair New Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Texas
    Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll have many more questions. This is not something we will be able to do right away...boo, but I like to be informed! Thanks again!

14. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    With a UVW of 2278 that Rockwood is going to push your Jeep right up to it's limit. The GVWR is UVW + CCC, 3289. You need to check your manual and verify what your limitations are. Also, Jeeps are very touchy about tongue weight, to the point that a full gas tank can make a difference in how it tows.

15. Dmmcnair

Dmmcnair New Member

Aug 8, 2017
    Texas
    We were noticing that, looking at other manufacturers with the same-ish specs. So we are going down to a 10 foot. Would be helpful if Rockwood would actually put out the GVWR on their campers.

Edit: Oh God, I must be tired. I totally missed that you said GVWR is UVW + CCC. Ugh. I think I need to quit.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  16. BrianD

BrianD New Member

Jun 27, 2017
    Your Jeep will be fine. I tow a Dutchman 747 with a my 2 door Rubicon. No issues weight wise, just make sure you have trailer brakes and sway control. I am at a tongue weight of ~200 and it drops down the rear about an inch. I do not use a distribution hitch.

17. etrailerJohn

etrailerJohn Member

Apr 19, 2016
    Wentzville, MO
    According to what I've found online, your 2016 JK will have the 3500 lb towing capacity if it has the 3.6L engine and is equipped with the 3.73 rear end. Otherwise, you'd be limited to 2000 lbs.

The maximum tongue weight listed by Jeep is 10 percent of the towing capacity.

If you'll be towing near the capacity of the vehicle, adding a transmission cooler would offer inexpensive protection for your transmission, especially if you're planning on towing through terrain that is hilly or mountainous.

For more information, as well as to see vehicle-specific applications for your Wrangler Unlimited, use the provided link:

https://www.etrailer.com/expert-143.html

18. Wyjeeper

Wyjeeper New Member

Oct 3, 2017
    From one jeep owner to another, look at weights of what pup you want. 2016 with auto will have 3.73 gears and 3500 rating. Since you dont have a hitch https://www.quadratec.com/categories/jeep_bumpers_towing_racks/receiver-hitches. Great site for all the jeep parts you might want. Hitch is really easy to install, 4 bolts. Next thing you will want is the 7 way plug harness, not to hard to put in either. with a stock jeep you should be able to pull a good size pup without issue.

19. JeepinAndCampin

JeepinAndCampin New Member

Jun 6, 2017
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I have 2015 Rubicon Unlimited with Max Tow pkg & 4.10 gears. I tow a Palomino Basecamp 12FBS with mine. it tows fine, except when I climb the passes around here in UT. I believe mine has a dry weight of around 2500 but it has extra battery and propane. no doubt i am at max when towing... Breaking will be biggest issue you encounter in my opinion. I have a 2.5" lift and it sits good when hooked up.. i actually need to get a hitch that is a little higher. I replaced the factory bumper and it came with a hitch built in to bumper. The hitch is easy to install on jeeps... i sold mine to a guy and put it on for him in 15 minutes. Look into the mopar 7pin wiring harness too.