Trying to remember my parent's first popup

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by mhopfin, Jun 22, 2017.

1. mhopfin

mhopfin New Member

Jul 4, 2016
    It was back in the 1970s. It was a simple metal box--no kitchen, cabinets or anything--just the two slide out beds. It was a darker green with a white fiberglass roof. I think the brand was Otto but I haven't been able to find anything about a manufacturer with this name online. I don't have pictures...I wish I did. Does what I am describing sound familiar or did they have something super rare or possibly homemade? Thanks!

2. RDWRER

RDWRER Member

Jul 31, 2015
  3. mhopfin

mhopfin New Member

Jul 4, 2016
    Not really. I will be visiting my folks after the 4th and I will see if they have a photo I can post.

4. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
  5. Skramsmiths

Skramsmiths New Member

Jul 18, 2017
    Olympia, WA
    My folks had an Apache tent trailer. We traveled across the US at least twice in that thing, and camped many weekends around Northern California. I recall weathering a hail/rain storm one night in Wyoming, all the tents around us flooded. But we were warm and dry. It had two pull-out double beds, a tiny floor space, a metal storage unit that folded down when the trailer was closed. Dad kept a spare tire somewhere because it blew out tires pretty regularly. It was basically a tent on wheels. My mother had a disability and the trailer allowed her to keep camping, which she loved.

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    We never had even a tent when growing, we slept on a pallet out by the fire. if it rained we slept in the GMC suburban or under it. We tent camped for years with 4 kids I gave $50.00 for my 1st pop up a one wheel sears, had 2 clamps up front that hooked to the bumper of the T.V. top folded out to make a single bed on each side, it had a huge canvass that covered the entire camper and made a very large living room /sleeping area that we put cots in to sleep. The wheel finally gave up and I could not find any parts. It was really nice and beat the on the ground sleeping from there we went to other PUP'S but just like a girlfriend the first one I will never forget. I wish I still had it.